XR Stock shield heights. - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ALStensby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brooklyn Park, MN
Posts: 693
Default XR Stock shield heights.

Curious if anyone can give me some insight on the stocker shield heights and what might work for me. The dealer I'm buying from is a bit of a haul from my house so I'd rather not run up there just to get the measurement (and before you say anything...old bike is sold, new one isn't picked up yet so I'm bikeless!).

I don't ride with a shield often...only when it's really windy or for really long trips at sustained highway speeds. I'm 6-2, 215 with a 32" inseam. Wear either a halfy or a modular. Any insight you can give me would be great. They don't have them at the dealer and I'd like to pick it up when I get the bike. Thanks!
ALStensby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,947
Default

I'm 5'10", and the mid height shield was perfect for me. I see over it and gives great wind protection.

I bought mine with the bike, but you can skip the shield for now. There are cheaper after market options, and since they don't have shields in stock for you to try, I'd recommend waiting on the shield. The last thing you want is a useless shield (especially when you get taxed in the $500 range for one).

Ride her for a few weeks without a shield. It won't be the end of the world - quite the opposite, it will be lots of fun.

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2016 Springfield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ALStensby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brooklyn Park, MN
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
I'm 5'10", and the mid height shield was perfect for me. I see over it and gives great wind protection.

I bought mine with the bike, but you can skip the shield for now. There are cheaper after market options, and since they don't have shields in stock for you to try, I'd recommend waiting on the shield. The last thing you want is a useless shield (especially when you get taxed in the $500 range for one).

Ride her for a few weeks without a shield. It won't be the end of the world - quite the opposite, it will be lots of fun.
Yeah...I was hoping/waiting for a Memphis, but they aren't making them right now. And said they don't plan to at this time. But, after some wheeling and deailing, they're giving me the shield for free (on top of the other discounts) which is a big bonus for me since I don't use it very often at all. What's your inseam?
ALStensby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ALStensby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brooklyn Park, MN
Posts: 693
Post

...Maybe I'll have to see if they'll do pipes instead. Hmmmmmmmm...
ALStensby is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,947
Default Cee Baileys

Cee Baileys is an option - you'll save some money going that route.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/victory/cr...s_2010_ws.html
crossroads02_03.jpg

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2016 Springfield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ALStensby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brooklyn Park, MN
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
Cee Baileys is an option - you'll save some money going that route.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/victory/cr...s_2010_ws.html
Attachment 2039
So, looking at their site, it's JUST the shield and they don't have mounting hardware. And it sounds like I can't just buy the hardware from Victory. Do you know where I can get just the hardware? The shield there is only $190ish...so if the hardware is cheap enough, I'll definitely go that route since they'll do stage 1 for me instead. That way, I'll have slightly better sounding pipes at least until someone has true-duals.

Adam
2011 Victory Cross Roads - His
2014 Indian Chief 'Springfield' - Hers
2013 Honda CB500F

Last edited by ALStensby; 04-16-2011 at 10:21 AM.
ALStensby is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStensby View Post
So, looking at their site, it's JUST the shield and they don't have mounting hardware. And it sounds like I can't just buy the hardware from Victory. Do you know where I can get just the hardware? The shield there is only $190ish...so if the hardware is cheap enough, I'll definitely go that route since they'll do stage 1 for me instead. That way, I'll have slightly better sounding pipes at least until someone has true-duals.
Yes, Cee Baileys only sells the shield, not the hardware. You can purchase the hardware from Victory. Here's the parts catalog: http://parts.polarisind.com.

10CC.jpg

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2016 Springfield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ALStensby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brooklyn Park, MN
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
Yes, Cee Baileys only sells the shield, not the hardware. You can purchase the hardware from Victory. Here's the parts catalog: http://parts.polarisind.com.

Attachment 2046
Ah. OK. I was thinking of just the mounting hardware portion...not ALL the metal on it. I'll have to check that out. But yeah, I think I'll be going with the Stage one instead anyhow. That'll keep me happy enough until true duals come out for it. And the shield can come later.

Where do I create a users account on that site? When I call the dealer, they say it all comes in one shot...can't order just the hardware.

Adam
2011 Victory Cross Roads - His
2014 Indian Chief 'Springfield' - Hers
2013 Honda CB500F

Last edited by ALStensby; 04-16-2011 at 12:46 PM.
ALStensby is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,947
Default eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALStensby View Post
Ah. OK. I was thinking of just the mounting hardware portion...not ALL the metal on it. I'll have to check that out. But yeah, I think I'll be going with the Stage one instead anyhow. That'll keep me happy enough until true duals come out for it. And the shield can come later.

Where do I create a users account on that site? When I call the dealer, they say it all comes in one shot...can't order just the hardware.
Not sure.


You can always snatch a good deal like this one: $190 shipped but that's without hardware as well - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-...#ht_500wt_1182 on ebay.

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2016 Springfield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Last edited by CrossRoads; 04-16-2011 at 01:23 PM.
CrossRoads is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ALStensby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brooklyn Park, MN
Posts: 693
Default

Yeah, I'm just going to keep an eye out for one. I'll find one eventually. Not in a rush since I typically ride without anyhow. And having at least the stage 1 pipes will allow me to be patient instead of rushing out for new pipes. HA HA!

Adam
2011 Victory Cross Roads - His
2014 Indian Chief 'Springfield' - Hers
2013 Honda CB500F
ALStensby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome