Extended Warranty/Service Contract - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jokerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PHOENIX, AZ
Posts: 381
Question Extended Warranty/Service Contract

My 2011 XC will be one year old next month. It has served me well & the dealer was nice enough to provide me with free scheduled maintenance for the first year. I will be sitting at 13K miles after 1 year & I expect to ride 12-15K year after year. The dealer has suggested that since I ride everyday & don't baby the bike, I would benefit from a maintenance agreement that would last 5 years from date of purchase. It also includes a 5year extended warranty. It will cover all scheduled maintenance & parts except tires & battery and there are no deductibles. They are quoting me a price of $2995, non negotiable. When I bought the bike, based on Vic's reputation, I did not see the value, but it sure has been nice not having any out-of-pocket expense the first year.
I plan on keeping my promise to the wife when I bought the XC that this will be my last motorcycle. I would like to hear any thoughts or suggestions. Also, anyone who has purchased a plan like this, would you mind sharing what it cost you?

Thanks for any comments.

JOKERMAN

"THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR VICTORY" General Douglas MacArthur
jokerman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 221
Default

My experience is that you better keep the bike! or it's a huge waste. Maybe do a little math. 3 services per year at $250 for 4 more years is $3000. So, you basically get the extended warrenty for the price of paying for all your services up front.

Do you expect the dealer to still exist in 4 years? I would worry if it is a small shop...

Henry
2013 XC Sunset Red
21" Ness Evil 7 Wheels
Tri-Oval Exhaust + Llyodz Air Box + PC-V
Tubular Highway Bars + bag rails
Digital Guard Dawg Keyless Ignition
Flash2Pass
Henry is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
My experience is that you better keep the bike! or it's a huge waste. Maybe do a little math. 3 services per year at $250 for 4 more years is $3000. So, you basically get the extended warrenty for the price of paying for all your services up front.

Do you expect the dealer to still exist in 4 years? I would worry if it is a small shop...
What three services do you get per year?
TrashmanNYC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Member
 
Jeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 97
Default

Just got my XC about a week ago. Great bike. It came with the extended warranty (no additional cost). my 500 mi maintenance cost me $135 tax included. The dealer told me the first 5k would cost the same. I looked at the maintenance schedule and the only additional items that I could see would be the air filter and the fork oil change in the first 15k miles. If I were to put on 15k miles per year on my bike it wouldn't be a savings at $3000. but then that's here. I have a great dealer who's been around for a long time and I expect him to be around for a long time.

You do the math on what it will cost per scheduled maintenance and the milage you expect to put on the bike it might be worth it or it might not. JMO

Ride safe and have a great time on your XC.

'11 XC
Stage 1
Jeepster is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 11:10 AM
The Diamond
 
diamondrmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N. California via Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,001
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerman View Post
My 2011 XC will be one year old next month. It has served me well & the dealer was nice enough to provide me with free scheduled maintenance for the first year. I will be sitting at 13K miles after 1 year & I expect to ride 12-15K year after year. The dealer has suggested that since I ride everyday & don't baby the bike, I would benefit from a maintenance agreement that would last 5 years from date of purchase. It also includes a 5year extended warranty. It will cover all scheduled maintenance & parts except tires & battery and there are no deductibles. They are quoting me a price of $2995, non negotiable. When I bought the bike, based on Vic's reputation, I did not see the value, but it sure has been nice not having any out-of-pocket expense the first year.
I plan on keeping my promise to the wife when I bought the XC that this will be my last motorcycle. I would like to hear any thoughts or suggestions. Also, anyone who has purchased a plan like this, would you mind sharing what it cost you?

Thanks for any comments.

2995 is pretty high especially since you can easily do the maintenace yourself.

The warranty in my opinion is a great buy although mine never came into play. My bike has never had an issue in the 5 years I've owned her. However, these are mechanical things and in that they can have problems.
diamondrmp is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Senior Member
 
RICZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 12,063
Default

Did you ever notice that extended warranties are in effect during that period in which they are the LEAST needed?

2010 Midnight Cherry XR. 7Jurock, Lloydz AF, ATS, AFR tuned VFCIII, IAV, and T-6 and locally repacked pipes = big smiles. SOLD to a dear friend, so it's still in the family."
2017 Spyder F3 Limited - keeps this old guy in the wind and riding with friends.
Cure that ugly stand up license plate with the cheapest and best laydown bracket. Click this:
https://www.victoryforums.com/11-ven...t-x-bikes.html
RICZ is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 11:20 AM
The Diamond
 
diamondrmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N. California via Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,001
Garage
Default

Actually this is the first time an extended warranty hasn't come into play for me.

I had a 2001 Corvette and at 88k the A/C and onboard brain and pistons had to be replaced. Almost 15k and it was covered under my extended warranty. 4 days and I had my Vette back.
diamondrmp is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 106
Default

Well I just purchased my 2010 jackpot last week and upgraded to the 5 year bumper to bumper for $599. I figured when have I ever got out of a shop for less.
KevinC is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 04:38 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Well I just purchased my 2010 jackpot last week and upgraded to the 5 year bumper to bumper for $599. I figured when have I ever got out of a shop for less.
Hmmmm, sounds like you got fleeced. Jackpots don't have bumpers.
TrashmanNYC is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 106
Default

Maybe your right. I wonder if that snake oil he threw in really works?
KevinC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome