Wet Cruise Control Problems - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NOLA
Posts: 85
Default Wet Cruise Control Problems

If you have had a problem with your cruise control going out in wet conditions or after washing your bike, please post up here. I am also interested in what fixed your wet cruise control issue.

I washed my XCT under light pressure Friday evening. Saturday morning I rode to my dealer to do an Indian demo ride. My cruise wasn't working. This was the third time it had failed to engage when wet. The two other times were in the rain. At a traffic light my bud pulled up and said it looked like my brake light was on all the time. At the next traffic light he said it was working normally again. At that moment, my cruise control started working correctly again.

I talked to my service manager about it and he said it sounded like a brake switch issue. It makes sense that if the bike thinks the brake is on that the cruise won't engage. The red system on light was on, but it wouldn't let me set.

If this thread is focused and constructive enough, I may use it to help guide my dealer (generally lower volume dealer) through troubleshooting and repair. It may also serve to help others who have this problem in the future.

So again, If you have had the wet cruise control problem, please post of your problem and if you or your dealer came up with a fix, please tell me how it was done. If you haven't had this problem and just want to give me some ideas, I appreciate your willingness to help, but just to keep this thread clean and focused, I'd rather you PM me.

Thanks,
Paul
Dranrab is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 12,938
Default

If dealer did nothing for you I would find rear switch pull wires one at a time and see if there is water there then clean and add some grease to the terminal. Look for a crack in the switch. Then do the other. You could even go to auto parts store and buy a new one.
If that does not fix it then look at your front break switch.
Do not do both at once cause then you'll never find out witch is the bad one

2008 Vision
Mpls, MN.

Please add your state and model of bike you have. Click user CP @ top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline  
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: duson,louisiana
Posts: 160
Default

How was the indian demo days? I almost bought my bike from that dealer but salesman didn't call back with price for 2 days. My bike got rained on pretty good saturday, went to car show down in Franklin and used cruise for first time on way back worked fine.

2013 cross country tour stock for now
whiskeydave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Motorbikerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Gold Coast, Australia.
Posts: 8,597
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab View Post
If you have had a problem with your cruise control going out in wet conditions or after washing your bike, please post up here. I am also interested in what fixed your wet cruise control issue.

I washed my XCT under light pressure Friday evening. Saturday morning I rode to my dealer to do an Indian demo ride. My cruise wasn't working. This was the third time it had failed to engage when wet. The two other times were in the rain. At a traffic light my bud pulled up and said it looked like my brake light was on all the time. At the next traffic light he said it was working normally again. At that moment, my cruise control started working correctly again.

I talked to my service manager about it and he said it sounded like a brake switch issue. It makes sense that if the bike thinks the brake is on that the cruise won't engage. The red system on light was on, but it wouldn't let me set.

If this thread is focused and constructive enough, I may use it to help guide my dealer (generally lower volume dealer) through troubleshooting and repair. It may also serve to help others who have this problem in the future.

So again, If you have had the wet cruise control problem, please post of your problem and if you or your dealer came up with a fix, please tell me how it was done. If you haven't had this problem and just want to give me some ideas, I appreciate your willingness to help, but just to keep this thread clean and focused, I'd rather you PM me.

Thanks,i
Paul

I use di-electric grease inside any connection thats suspect or handy to be done, did the connections under the front that cop all the water and crap off the front wheel, wiring connections shoulve been better waterproofed from the factory I reckon....
Same fix on my temp sender clip fixed red eng light.
Im not in the habit of hosing sensitive areas either,

Victory Vegas 2010
Lloydz 109"cube big bore
" " 495 cams
" " TorqueTubes
" " timing wheel @4 deg.
" " Primary plate
" " IAV
RPW Slash pipes
PCV
Progressive 465 rear shock
Kingpin USD Forks
18" XC front wheel
1 3/4" 'Burleigh Bars'
Stebel air horn
12.106 @110.90mph
114/123

Victory Cross Country 2010 (106)
Lloyds air filter
" " VM1 Cams
Home gutted exhaust
Maximus
Both tuned by [email protected] Dyno
110/116

Gold Coast
Australia
Motorbikerx is offline  
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Member
 
Dieseldave24v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Richlands, NC
Posts: 41
Default

I had the same issue one a 500 mile trip after riding in heavy rain for 30 minutes. Very annoying and disappointing to have this issue on a otherwise perfect machine. I did the same thing as the motorbikerx and have not had an issue since.
Dieseldave24v is offline  
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Senior Member
 
gamewarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Centreville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 367
Garage
Default

I have had this problem after riding in the rain. Drys out in a few days and all is well. The last time it happened I put a dab of silicone where the wires enter the control cruise module in the back. I rode in a very hard rain after that and no problems since. Go figure, cheap plastic control housing.

2011 custom Tequila Gold with Candy Orange accents, hard lowers and trunk, Ipod in lowers, HID and saddle bag bars, stage 1, heel shifter, front and back chrome fender guards,Garmin GPS, fairing wind deflectors, heated Gerbing hook up, Dain skull brake pedal, rear brake master and reservoir cover, custom cheese wedge cover, clutch cover, Witchdoctor cam covers, Wolo Bad Boy horn, heated grips and seat, Gorilla alarm, Vision rear engine brackett covers, Kruzer Caddy, WD exhaust tips.
gamewarden is offline  
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NOLA
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamewarden View Post
I have had this problem after riding in the rain. Drys out in a few days and all is well. The last time it happened I put a dab of silicone where the wires enter the control cruise module in the back. I rode in a very hard rain after that and no problems since. Go figure, cheap plastic control housing.

Is there any way you could post a picture of what you are talking about?
Dranrab is offline  
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mid Mo
Posts: 17
Default

I had same problem on my CCT. There is a throttle cruise switch just under the fuel tank toward the front, along the frame right hand side. Dealer thought water inside of switch and dried it out and put a sealer to keep water out. Two weeks later no cruise. I pulled the wires off the switch, cleaned and applied a generous application of die-electric grease, to switch terminals and wires connectors, and no more problem. A quick way to check if it is this is remove one of the wires take a ride and see if the cruise will now set. If it will it is either the switch or connections. Just remember with the wire disconnected the cruise will not shut off when you roll out of the throttle, this is the throttle disconnect for the cruise! Hope this helps.
johneswank likes this.
Always Late is offline  
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Member
 
Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NW Alabama
Posts: 56
Garage
Default

Haven't had problem with cruise, but my turn signals quit when riding (getting caught) in medium to heavy rains. Happened to me twice. Dealer replaced turn signal housing on left handlebar, don't know if he did any other precautions against wet weather, but haven't had a problem since, but I also haven't encountered any heavy rains since the repair, which was last September, early fall.

2013 XCT Sunset Red
Lloyds High Performance Air Filter
Lloyds Adjustable Timing Gear +4
Strip Removed
O2's Unplugged
Vance & Hines
Fastlightsleds
Tank Slapper Paint Protection 3M Kit
Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4
Kicker 6 1/2" up Front
Kicker 5 1/4" in Trunk
Inner Fairing, Trunk Speaker Pods Hydrographic Dipped in Houndstooth.
KlockWerks Windshield
Gen 4 AFR+Fuel Controller
Bama is offline  
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Motorbikerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Gold Coast, Australia.
Posts: 8,597
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
Haven't had problem with cruise, but my turn signals quit when riding (getting caught) in medium to heavy rains. Happened to me twice. Dealer replaced turn signal housing on left handlebar, don't know if he did any other precautions against wet weather, but haven't had a problem since, but I also haven't encountered any heavy rains since the repair, which was last September, early fall.
di-electric grease will be your friend if you're an all weather Victory rider, or even wash your bike

Victory Vegas 2010
Lloydz 109"cube big bore
" " 495 cams
" " TorqueTubes
" " timing wheel @4 deg.
" " Primary plate
" " IAV
RPW Slash pipes
PCV
Progressive 465 rear shock
Kingpin USD Forks
18" XC front wheel
1 3/4" 'Burleigh Bars'
Stebel air horn
12.106 @110.90mph
114/123

Victory Cross Country 2010 (106)
Lloyds air filter
" " VM1 Cams
Home gutted exhaust
Maximus
Both tuned by [email protected] Dyno
110/116

Gold Coast
Australia
Motorbikerx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome