What did you do to your Cross Bike today? - Page 868 - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 6130Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #8671 of 8711 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:06 AM
Senior Member
 
PaiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 3,989
Garage
Default

Tail of the Dragon is a fun road....but like @theja1 said, the entire area has some mind-blowing roads to ride
I was there last Oct, made runs on the weekend and during the week and one in the pitch black of night...(that was a blast ), no problems with traffic, most runs I had the road to myself, except for that tractor-trailer incident...(I was filming that run so its in my video). I also manged to get me and the bike on the cover page of Killboy ...lol


PaiN's Rides on YouTube

"Living life is a great idea, but riding a motorcycle actually gives you a tool to do it..." -me
2013 Sunset Red Cross Country
Vic Tri-Oval Mufflers, Lloydz VM1-DR cams, AF, PC-V @112hp/113tq
Corbin Dual Tour seat, Klock Werks Klip Hanger bars, Vicwapz
Avon Contour grips, Kuryakyn Kinetic boards and rear SwingWings
Victory black LED headlight and Touring Pack, Madstad 9" windshield
PaiN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8672 of 8711 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Dusty Boots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 136
Garage
Default

I've ridden it a couple times and try to avoid riding it now. Always rode it at my own pace.
Like has been said, many other great roads in the area that doesn't attract so many people out trying to prove something and over ride it. Anywhere on/off the Blue Ridge, or the North GA state line near NC etc has great riding without the yahoos.

Go and ride it so you can say you've ridden it ... don't be nervous ... just ride your own ride and be vigilant of others





Dusty

2013 Victory XCT - SW Ontario

Stage 1 Victory Tri Oval kit, with EFI retune
Lloydz Timing Wheel (+3)
Quarter turn throttle ring

It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!
Dusty Boots is offline  
post #8673 of 8711 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:30 AM
Senior Member
 
wspollack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Niskayuna, NY
Posts: 2,069
Default Gap Good for Pics

Yeah, there's a lot of traffic, some degree of risk above normal, squids, trucks, etc., and very nice -- and less touristy -- roads all around the western NC, eastern TN, and northern GA area.

That said, one of the nice things, IMHO, about the GAP is that two or three photographers camp out at the few pull-out areas. And so if you want to get what are typically high-quality shots of you on your bike, this is one way to do it (track days generally being another way).

As luck would have, one of my daughters lives in Asheville, about a two-hour ride away. Every time I get a new bike, I happen to schedule a ride down from NY to visit her for a few days, and then take a day off for a Gap day, so I can get some new-bike pics. And the ride down to that area from Asheville is a nice warm-up. If you do the Gap mid-week, and get there, say, 10am, it's been my experience that traffic is not bad.

In my gallery of my now-sold XCT, I have a few pics that I took at the Gap's one large pull-out, followed by a few of the pics taken by the Gap photogs (I buy the packages from them all), starting here: 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

Cheers,

Bill P.

2012 XCT (SOLD) : HeliBars; Centramatics; PC-V; Lloydz air filter; 11" Madstad; Rivco LED mirrors; Doran TPMS; Stebel horn; Motolights; CustomLED trunk flasher; KewlHeel shifter; CycleOps trunk rack; BeadRider seat; Vibranator bar ends; Passenger grab handles; Powerlet outlets; Handlebar RAM mount; RicZ laydown plate; Brukus SaddlebagSecure; 14" flexible antenna; RAM cupholder on trunk; shock Schrader valve relocation.

Gallery: http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/
wspollack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8674 of 8711 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Dusty Boots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 136
Garage
Default

I ordered/received a new Avon Cobra Chrome front tire, as my current tire has over 14,000 km on it now and should have close to 25,000 km on it by the time I get back from my planned trip which starts at the end of this month.

Will be interesting to see how it compares to the AV71 Avon Cobra that's on there now.









Current AV71 Cobra with over 14,000 km / 9,000 mi on it.






Dusty
Strew3 likes this.

2013 Victory XCT - SW Ontario

Stage 1 Victory Tri Oval kit, with EFI retune
Lloydz Timing Wheel (+3)
Quarter turn throttle ring

It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!
Dusty Boots is offline  
post #8675 of 8711 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,022
Default

Is "chrome" an upgrade?
IndyVictory is offline  
post #8676 of 8711 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Dusty Boots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 136
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyVictory View Post
Is "chrome" an upgrade?
It's the newest version of the Cobra.
When I was talking to the Avon rep at the Toronto Motorcycle SuperShow at the beginning of the year, she said they expect it to get increased mileage, with the same great handling/ride.

My 1st Cobra AV71 I changed out at around the 24,000 km mark, because it was getting down towards the wear bars and I was headed on a trip through MI/OH/WV/VA to the Blue Ridge Parkway and down that to Atlanta and back, so I installed the current one that's on there now


Dusty
PaiN likes this.

2013 Victory XCT - SW Ontario

Stage 1 Victory Tri Oval kit, with EFI retune
Lloydz Timing Wheel (+3)
Quarter turn throttle ring

It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!

Last edited by Dusty Boots; 07-18-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Dusty Boots is offline  
post #8677 of 8711 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:04 PM
Member
 
Catnaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Evansville IN
Posts: 69
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspollack View Post
Yeah, there's a lot of traffic, some degree of risk above normal, squids, trucks, etc., and very nice -- and less touristy -- roads all around the western NC, eastern TN, and northern GA area.

That said, one of the nice things, IMHO, about the GAP is that two or three photographers camp out at the few pull-out areas. And so if you want to get what are typically high-quality shots of you on your bike, this is one way to do it (track days generally being another way).

As luck would have, one of my daughters lives in Asheville, about a two-hour ride away. Every time I get a new bike, I happen to schedule a ride down from NY to visit her for a few days, and then take a day off for a Gap day, so I can get some new-bike pics. And the ride down to that area from Asheville is a nice warm-up. If you do the Gap mid-week, and get there, say, 10am, it's been my experience that traffic is not bad.

In my gallery of my now-sold XCT, I have a few pics that I took at the Gap's one large pull-out, followed by a few of the pics taken by the Gap photogs (I buy the packages from them all), starting here: 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

We've been through there probably 20+ times over the last 10 years and found that traffic mid-morning to early afternoon through the week normally isn't too bad. I'd definitely recommend avoiding the weekends as you can see all kinds of craziness...car rallies, Cushman scooter meets...even saw a full size motor home pulling a pontoon boat through there nearly taking up both lanes on the switchbacks!

Have fun, but be safe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dragon 6-14-18 resize.jpg (41.0 KB, 1 views)
wspollack and Strew3 like this.

2015 Magnum Plasma-Lime Green
Matstad 11"
Kuryakyn bag lights
Tri-ovals
Driver backrest
2013 CCT Bronze Mist with VicWrapz "Wired"
Dobeck Gen 3.0 controller
Lloyd's AF
Raised tank mounting
Modified muffler cans w/wrapped spiral baffles
Lloyd's timing wh. +2
Low seat with driver's backrest
Modular handlebars
9" Madstad windshield
Kuryakyn bag lights
Stebel air horn in fairing
Clearwater Darla lights
Catnaper is online now  
post #8678 of 8711 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Richie271's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
I ordered/received a new Avon Cobra Chrome front tire, as my current tire has over 14,000 km on it now and should have close to 25,000 km on it by the time I get back from my planned trip which starts at the end of this month.

Will be interesting to see how it compares to the AV71 Avon Cobra that's on there now.









Current AV71 Cobra with over 14,000 km / 9,000 mi on it.






Dusty
I hope you have better luck with tar snakes than I have.

The original Cobra tires were incredible on my 2010 CR. Tar snakes and rain had no affect on the tire at all and I could trust them no matter what but the chrome scare the hell out of me. I will be on a long sweeping turn, hit a tar snake and the tire will jump out from under me. Now knowing the tires can not be trusted, I try to avoid tar snakes in a turn at all cost.

I haven't tried the Chrome in the rain yet. The original Cobras were great in the rain.

Too bad, I am very disappointed with the new Cobras.

Richie271
Long Island, NY
2010 Cross Roads. Midnight Cherry.

Last edited by Richie271; 07-19-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Richie271 is online now  
post #8679 of 8711 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:34 PM
Senior Member
 
CanuckRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Elmvale ON., Canada
Posts: 485
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie271 View Post
I hope you have better luck with tar snakes than I have.

The original Cobra tires were incredible on my 2010 CR. Tar snakes and rain had no affect on the tire at all and I could trust them no matter what but the chrome scare the hell out of me. I will be on a long sweeping turn, hit a tar snake and the tire will jump out from under me. Now knowing the tires can not be trusted, I try to avoid tar snakes in a turn at all cost.

I haven't tried the Chrome in the rain yet. The original Cobras were great in the rain.

Too bad, I am very disappointed with the new Cobras.
I have the cobra 130/70R18 (63H) on the front of mine right now 22,000 kms on the bike and still look like new front and back...and hang tight in all conditions...

Ride Safe, enjoy your trip!

Rob
Strew3 likes this.

2010 Cross Country -
Elmvale ON Canada

Stage 1
Chrome Tri Ovals
Lloyds 1/4 turn throttle ring
Kuryakyn heel toe shifter
OEM high performance air filter
CanuckRob is offline  
post #8680 of 8711 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 10:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,022
Default

Spent a week riding in NC/TN. Lots of fun roads. Hundreds of curves. Dragon was the last day and actually probably the easiest road of them all. Running with friends having fun. I was a bit closer than I liked to my friend in front of me so slowed to give some space. I guess I slowed too much since I went into next curve and tried to countersteer into the curve left but bike went right instead. Ended up in the ditch and caught some junk off another car/bike in my front wheel and bike came to sudden stop with me landing in front of it.
The bike basically fell to the right and scratched up, right lower punched a dent into tank.

Got the bike picked up and rode a couple hours to dinner and rode 9 hours home the next day. Mechanically all good just cosmetic damage and more damage to my pride of course but I'm walking about so no complaints.
Well, maybe some complaining, I'm freaking sore but nothing broken.
I have to sort out why the bike has issues with idle but that was going on before my 1831 mile trip.

1689821449.jpg
20190726_212500-COLLAGE.jpg

Red 2012 Cross Country Tour
Polk 522, Nautilus air horn, 17" rubber antenna, knob saddlebag release, black tri-ovals, sabertooth saddlebag lights, Madstad windshield, many parts chrome to black.

Last edited by IndyVictory; 07-27-2019 at 10:39 PM.
IndyVictory is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome