I'll be testing riding Saturday morning. Current ride is a 2012 HD FLTRX (Road Glide Custom).
What should I look/listen/feel for during the test ride?
What do you guys dislike about the Cross Country?
What would be a good deal on a new Cross Country?
Anything else I should know?
Well, in my experience renting Harleys and test-riding them at Americade each year, the big differences -- so what you might want to concentrate on -- on the Cross bikes are:
- More room to move around in, on the seat and the floorboards.
- Less shaking at idle.
- Better handling, especially in sweepers and the twisties.
- More ground clearance.
- Better and longer suspension travel.
- Larger saddlebags (and trunk, on the XCT).
- One place to put oil during oil changes.
If you're looking for nits to pick, the H-Ds are generally better in:
- Fit and finish: paint, integration of switchgear, that sort of thing.
- Larger aftermarket choice of doodads and clothing, if you're into that sort of thing.
- More dealers to stop at, when something falls off during a multi-day trip.
I bought my XCT two years ago at Shark Cycles in CT (the next state over from me). You might want to check their prices, if you want to see what a good deal looks like (although I haven't done so lately), and work up from there. Don't forget about coupons from Victory for having taken a test ride, maybe if you're in the military (or maybe retired), that sort of thing. They sometimes have coupons for gear, and sometimes for money off the bike purchase.