almost bought a xct - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
spyshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 133
Garage
Default almost bought a xct

was standing there looking at a beautiful 2011 white/gray cross country, check in hand. everything was perfect, except, the test ride. wind smacked me on both sides of my face i could not stand it. i went on three test rides with two different helmets (open and closed face) and two different windshields. (stock and flip)

had to walk away. why does this happen?
adam

**edit. not a xct. it is a 2011 cross country.

Last edited by spyshot; 06-27-2014 at 12:23 PM.
spyshot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Member
 
steely610's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Posts: 45
Default

Did you close the lower fairing vents? Or did it not have those?

2013 Cross Country Tour
steely610 is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Member
 
Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NW Alabama
Posts: 56
Garage
Default

That's very unusual, Like 610 asked, were the lowers closed and the wind deflectors on the sides of the fairing closed? You should be able to move the air around almost anywhere you want to. By chance, your not like 6' 10" are you? Just noticed, you said xct in title, then you said cross country in body of text, was it a xct or a cc, there is a difference with wind management on each of these bikes. Did the bike have the hard lower fairings with adjustable vents in them or just an engine guard type bar. from what you described, you were on a cc, did it have a trunk? Go back, ride a Cross Country Tour with the trunk, if you like the wind management on this one, buy it, take it home, take trunk off (takes about ten minutes or less, all quick disconnect) except for long trips when you need storage, get a shorter windshield, and then you have a Cross Country with a few handy extras like MP3 hook up, better wind management and extra storage when you need it. Don't give up on these bikes, they are great, just find the right one for you. and if it's not for you, then no harm done, at least you tried it and decided its not for you, but I think if the wind bothered you, you weren't on a Cross Country Tour (XCT). Theres a lot of complaints on this forum from CC riders and they solve it with soft lowers, just research the forum, don't let the wind keep you from riding, I thought that's why we do it, "Wind in our face" Good luck with whatever you decide.

2013 XCT Sunset Red
Lloyds High Performance Air Filter
Lloyds Adjustable Timing Gear +4
Strip Removed
O2's Unplugged
Vance & Hines
Fastlightsleds
Tank Slapper Paint Protection 3M Kit
Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4
Kicker 6 1/2" up Front
Kicker 5 1/4" in Trunk
Inner Fairing, Trunk Speaker Pods Hydrographic Dipped in Houndstooth.
KlockWerks Windshield
Gen 4 AFR+Fuel Controller
Bama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
BThomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
was standing there looking at a beautiful 2011 white/gray cross country, check in hand. everything was perfect, except, the test ride. wind smacked me on both sides of my face i could not stand it. i went on three test rides with two different helmets (open and closed face) and two different windshields. (stock and flip)

had to walk away. why does this happen?
adam
I have a 2012 XC. Same bike as the one you're looking at but with ABS. Stock, I had the same problem as you as have many owners-- I'm 6'4". A lot of the air you complain of actually comes from below the fairing so you have to address that area as well as the screen.

There's a few things that really help the wind management/buffeting:

Lower air deflectors (that mount on your front fork): They come standard on the XCT but not on the XC. Not sure if there even was a 2011 XCT or if that came out in 2012???

Forged bar closeouts -- There are vinyl ones (that I have $90) or spendier plastic ones -- all get great reviews.

Madstad Windshield mounts: Adjustable wind shield mounts. They work with your stock screen and most aftermarket screens. I love mine--quieted my bike all the way past 110mph. I can still talk on my Sena half helmet headset at 70mph, even with RPW pipes, because of this. Probably my favorite addition to my bike! Some guys don't like the looks of them...

There are literally hundreds of threads on remedies for buffeting on the XC bikes -- easy peasy and not that expensive...

2012 Cross Country--trunk at times, stereo/amp upgrade, Madstad Windshield bracket, old-man style heated seat/grips, RPW Exhaust/Lloydz ATS and filter, PCV/AT, Cycleops Cheese, side covers and primary insert, soft lowers, a bit of chrome...
BThomas is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
spyshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 133
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama View Post
That's very unusual, Like 610 asked, were the lowers closed and the wind deflectors on the sides of the fairing closed? You should be able to move the air around almost anywhere you want to. By chance, your not like 6' 10" are you? Just noticed, you said xct in title, then you said cross country in body of text, was it a xct or a cc, there is a difference with wind management on each of these bikes. Did the bike have the hard lower fairings with adjustable vents in them or just an engine guard type bar. from what you described, you were on a cc, did it have a trunk? Go back, ride a Cross Country Tour with the trunk, if you like the wind management on this one, buy it, take it home, take trunk off (takes about ten minutes or less, all quick disconnect) except for long trips when you need storage, get a shorter windshield, and then you have a Cross Country with a few handy extras like MP3 hook up, better wind management and extra storage when you need it. Don't give up on these bikes, they are great, just find the right one for you. and if it's not for you, then no harm done, at least you tried it and decided its not for you, but I think if the wind bothered you, you weren't on a Cross Country Tour (XCT). Theres a lot of complaints on this forum from CC riders and they solve it with soft lowers, just research the forum, don't let the wind keep you from riding, I thought that's why we do it, "Wind in our face" Good luck with whatever you decide.
sorry, cross country. NOT TOURING. i will have to say that wind in your face is a good thing until it gives you a headache and ruins the ride.

thanks for the help on this.
adam

Last edited by spyshot; 06-27-2014 at 12:23 PM.
spyshot is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Lostintexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 784
Default

Hard to say. Your title says XCT, you say in the post XC. There is a lot more than a trunk in the difference and wind management on the two. All can be added for a price, and are direct bolt on IIRC, but the actual wind management of the two is far from similar.

XCT, no problem. Most go with a smaller shield to get air, and not have to look through the shield. Lowers have venting and lower fairing wings as well. Good stuff IMHO. Good enough to pull me off a Wing, and away from a 3rd Venture, that I do absolutely love.

Best wishes and Happy Shopping

Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem.~ Ronald Reagan

2012 XCT, AFR+ Gen 4, Lloydz air filter. I don't equate noise with power.
I ride with the Force.
Lostintexas is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Blowndodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
sorry, cross country. NOT TOURING. i will have to say that wind in your face is a good thing until it gives you a headache and ruins the ride.

thanks for the help on this.
adam
Yea there's a world of difference between the two. I have no wind issues on my XCT.

2013 Victory XCT. Lakewood, CA

Russell Day Long Saddle.
7Jurock 14" tinted flip shield
Unplugged O2 sensors.
Stage one filter.
14" replacement ant.
Drag Specialties highway pegs.
Custom Pin-striping.
Blowndodge is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
spyshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 133
Garage
Default

just so i'm clear here. the problem i had is that the wind was hitting me in my face. maybe around the cheekbone area on both sides. so is that what everyone is calling wind buffeting? that is actually coming from below?

adam
spyshot is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Senior Member
 
KingpinRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chippewa Falls, WI
Posts: 586
Default

A Klock Works Windshield may solve the problem. Best wind management on last years demo rides. Was on semi- personal bike of victory truck driver.

2008 Vision Tour Premium - Midnight Cherry
2008 Kingpin Tour - Black & Chrome (SOLD 10/14)
KingpinRider is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Lostintexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyshot View Post
just so i'm clear here. the problem i had is that the wind was hitting me in my face. maybe around the cheekbone area on both sides. so is that what everyone is calling wind buffeting? that is actually coming from below?

adam
Most likely. It isn't unique to Vic, just some of the things motorcycles do. Some certainly more than others. If it had forged bars on it, that will amplify things as well.
buffeting is usually associated with wind hitting you in back of the head, but it certainly is a subjective term.

Cheers

Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem.~ Ronald Reagan

2012 XCT, AFR+ Gen 4, Lloydz air filter. I don't equate noise with power.
I ride with the Force.
Lostintexas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome