Help me out - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Lostintexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 784
Default Help me out

Help me out here. I ordered a XCT and was exited about it. All I hear here and in a few other forums is about popping exhaust, finicky ECM's and throttle, crappy build quality, poor alignments, poorer dealer support and so forth.
Victory has dropped their warranty from 5 years to 1. Sounds like thy don't even believe in their product.

So, to the help me out department. 'Splain to me why I shouldn't cancel my order. I know you hear every little problem, real or immagined on the interweb, but I'm getting nervous about it now. I normally ride 20-30K per year. Am I doomed to buying a trailer and having outings cancelled. I mean all anyone can do is compare to HD, is that the best they can do? I have yet to hear any good.

I hope I didn't make an expensive mistake, although I can cut the losses. I would like some kind of encouragement.

Thanks
Lostintexas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17
Default

I've had my XCT for just over two months, and put right at 3200 miles on it. Interstate, neighborhood, mountain/country roads...I am thrilled with my XCT.

Never had an issue with the throttle. I have the RPW pipes and VFC-III, and do get some popping. Not sure what the big deal is, as it is rare, and the pipes are noisy anyway. Might be an issue for others, but not me. No issues with alignment, no complaints about build quality, and my dealer rocks. I may not be the guy you want to talk to

Seriously, my biggest complaint is the plastic fork guards. I haven't broken one yet, but they are definately craptastic. They will be the first thing I replace. Before it sounds like I have a whole list of things, I really only want to upgrade my stereo.

Yes, the tranny clunks. No it does not effect performance. I actually like it, as I know without a doubt I have made the shift.

This bike rides like a dream, and handles amazingly well, plus it gets a ton of attention. I honestly could not be happier with my purchase, but that is me.

-----
2012 Cross Country Tour, Pearl White

-Klock Werks windshield, 2" pull-back bars, reverse kit, Guard Dawg keyless system, heel/toe shifter, RPW exhaust, Lloyds VFC-III, Victory Big Mouth exhaust tips, powdercoated trunk rack, saddlebag racks, and saddlebag bars, lower fairing locks, hydraulic clutch, saddlebag and trunk bags, Victory airpump, Stebel airhorn
devildog is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
kevinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: At Southern Motorworx. High Springs Fl
Posts: 2,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostintexas View Post
Help me out here. I ordered a XCT and was exited about it. All I hear here and in a few other forums is about popping exhaust, finicky ECM's and throttle, crappy build quality, poor alignments, poorer dealer support and so forth.
Victory has dropped their warranty from 5 years to 1. Sounds like thy don't even believe in their product.

So, to the help me out department. 'Splain to me why I shouldn't cancel my order. I know you hear every little problem, real or immagined on the interweb, but I'm getting nervous about it now. I normally ride 20-30K per year. Am I doomed to buying a trailer and having outings cancelled. I mean all anyone can do is compare to HD, is that the best they can do? I have yet to hear any good.

I hope I didn't make an expensive mistake, although I can cut the losses. I would like some kind of encouragement.

Thanks
Finicky ECM....No, but just like every other computerized machine on the planet. They like good battery connections. In almost 9 years with these bikes. I have seen 3 ECM failures, and one of those was caused by an accident
Build quality issues....No but I will admit that the cosmetics; while on par with the Japs. They are a tick behind HD. Then again the actual machine is a couple of ticks above HD. Reliability, performance, ergonomics, and serviceability all fall towards Vic. I ride almost every day rain or shine. Average 22000 miles a year, and my bikes have never let me down. So no a trailer is not in your future.
Pops.....Yup; you will have a few pops with an open exhaust on a Vic. Some exhausts are worse then others, but to be honest. There is NO closed loop bike without some pop issues. The louder the pipe. The louder the pop. My XC has D&D slash cuts on it, and I very rarely hear anything.
Warranty...That was a promotional gimmick, and they gave you an extended policy that took you to 5 years. You can buy the same warranty pretty cheap.

I'm not an asshole...I just type that way
Check us out at Southern Motorworx on FaceBook
https://www.facebook.com/home.php
http://www.southernmotorworx.com/index.html
kevinx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Lostintexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 784
Default

Actually you are exacly the kind I want to hear from. I wish you had 2 years insted of 2 months, but hey you can only tell what you know.
Clunking transmissions don't bother me but popping in the exhaust is a problem. Damage is happening if it bothers or not. HOWEVER, I don't plan on doing a stage 1, especially till they figure out how to do it better. They have work to do on it.

Thanks for the input. I thought a happy Victory owner was like the Tooth Fairy.
Lostintexas is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostintexas View Post
Actually you are exacly the kind I want to hear from. I wish you had 2 years insted of 2 months, but hey you can only tell what you know.
Clunking transmissions don't bother me but popping in the exhaust is a problem. Damage is happening if it bothers or not. HOWEVER, I don't plan on doing a stage 1, especially till they figure out how to do it better. They have work to do on it.

Thanks for the input. I thought a happy Victory owner was like the Tooth Fairy.
It's like anything else. People will bitch a lot sooner than they will rave about anything. Screw someone over, and they'll tell a thousand people. Give good service and they might tell one.

-----
2012 Cross Country Tour, Pearl White

-Klock Werks windshield, 2" pull-back bars, reverse kit, Guard Dawg keyless system, heel/toe shifter, RPW exhaust, Lloyds VFC-III, Victory Big Mouth exhaust tips, powdercoated trunk rack, saddlebag racks, and saddlebag bars, lower fairing locks, hydraulic clutch, saddlebag and trunk bags, Victory airpump, Stebel airhorn
devildog is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
kingslyzissou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: phx, az
Posts: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog View Post
It's like anything else. People will bitch a lot sooner than they will rave about anything. Screw someone over, and they'll tell a thousand people. Give good service and they might tell one.
Too true dog. One of the main reasons anyone seeks out a forum is for information for a current issue. Very rarely will someone seek a forum just to sing said product's praises.

I love my Vegas. One of the best decisions ever made. Any issue I've come across with my Vic was just learning it's nuances. Be confident in your purchase. They really are great rides. Especially when you consider they've (Victory) been around for a relatively short span of time. You will ALWAYS read more bad than good.

2012 vegas 8ball
kingslyzissou is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
kevinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: At Southern Motorworx. High Springs Fl
Posts: 2,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostintexas View Post
Damage is happening if it bothers or not.
Beg to differ. No damage is happening. This is a case of a intentional hot and loaded with oxygen mixture being introduced to clean cats, and pass emissions under current regs. This is not a consistent lean condition, rather a split second occurrence. Minor iritant yes, cause for alarm no.
Lots and lots of happy Vic owners to be found. They are after all the number one rated by JD Powers for owner satisfaction. You just keep honing in on the complaint threads

BTW when I say I have seen 3 ECM failures. I am talking about at work or on the web. Not that happened to my bikes

I'm not an asshole...I just type that way
Check us out at Southern Motorworx on FaceBook
https://www.facebook.com/home.php
http://www.southernmotorworx.com/index.html

Last edited by kevinx; 05-22-2012 at 04:23 PM.
kevinx is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Senior Member
 
kingslyzissou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: phx, az
Posts: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinx View Post
You just keep honing in on the complaint threads
+1 on that

In your defense though Texas, they are 100 times easier to find than the good posts. You also have to consider the source of the bad info you read. Maybe it's someone working on their scoot that is in over their head. Maybe they don't know a thing about motorcycles. Maybe they just don't know what's up. Hell I'm an idiot about a lot of things, and not afraid to admit it. Half the time I read about a rider's issue with their bike is when they did something to it and screwed it up. I'm sure someday I WILL fall into that category.

I didn't at the time, nor do I now feel the need to invest in a trailer. The only time I can see this happening is when I mod out the motor and can't start it before it's properly tuned. Depending on the extent, every bike is this way that I know of. If you're really concerned about the potential to have to trailer the bike due to being stranded, just pay the 30bones a year to the VRA and you have 24/7 roadside assistance. The first year is included with new bike purchase though.

The one thing that I am confident in Texas is that at this price point, you would be very hard pressed to find a better bike manufacturer. I did a shit ton of research before pulling my trigger, haven't looked back since.

2012 vegas 8ball
kingslyzissou is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Lostintexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinx View Post
Beg to differ. No damage is happening. This is a case of a intentional hot and loaded with oxygen mixture being introduced to clean cats, and pass emissions under current regs. This is not a consistent lean condition, rather a split second occurrence. Minor iritant yes, cause for alarm no.
Lots and lots of happy Vic owners to be found. They are after all the number one rated by JD Powers for owner satisfaction. You just keep honing in on the complaint threads

BTW when I say I have seen 3 ECM failures. I am talking about at work or on the web. Not that happened to my bikes
I understand you are a mechanical type. I may not be understanding what some are describing as backfire, popping, or what have you. I do understand that the ECM, throttle or what ever has a tendancy to cut the engine in a fast wind up. Some have described it as the computer thinking there is a runaway syptom and cutting the engine. It may just be the bad habbits of some playing with the throttle. A few have said it scared the begeebers out of them and a couple have said they "almost went down" over it. I know, that should be taken with several grains of salt. LOL

It is good to hear about some happy owners though.
Lostintexas is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Luciferiad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Twin Falls, ID
Posts: 1,292
Garage
Default

Gotta remember if you search for issues, you will find threads discussing the issues. I researched this an other forums thoroughly before deciding on Victory, as well as Consumer Reports and Motorcycle.com. I even asked this forum in my first post if Vics had any issues.

Every machine's got its gremlins, but from research and my minimal experience, the Victory gremlins are much more minor and manageable than many others.

You can call me Billy. Or Luci. But don't call me Shirley.

Mine:
2011 Cross Roads, crimson red
Lloyd'z ATS, IAV, VFC-III. Vic "High Performance" air filter. Ness Big Honkers. Funsies.

Hers
2015 Vegas 8-Ball

My musings:www.billyrulez.wordpress.com
Luciferiad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome