Join Date: May 2013
Location: Left Coast, Canada
Stay away from petroleum based products. They will get absorbed, expand and deteriorate rubber.
Dielectric grease is silicone and doesn't degrade rubber. Before seal beams, back when headlights had rubber boots on them to prevent water getting in we used dielectric grease on the connector as well as the rubber boot. Kept them protected so they stayed soft and molded to the headlight casing. Doesn't deteriorate the insulation nor the connectors in electronic equipment. Silicone grease is also what plumbers use to keep O rings protected.
If it's really dried out you can also mix in a bit of glycerin. Silicone won't be absorbed, glycerin will.
Not all those who wander are lost.
Last edited by 53canuck; 03-09-2016 at 10:32 PM.