For the last two years I owned my XCT, I had just the upper-front barb on each side covered in heat shrink tubing:
(Just the upper-front one on each side, 3/8" shrink tubing, aim the heat gun away from the cover when shrinking.) This was a concept that someone posted in maybe 2014, here or on the other forum. This worked fine, even with a PC-V under the left cover. Incidentally, I never removed the topcase or disconnected the wire loom to it, so however the stock loom was positioned didn't seem to interfere with anything.
Also, maybe the year before, I replaced some grommets. One was actually missing on the right side, and some others were pretty shabby.
Of course, you have to make sure the covers are seated properly, if you do remove them, when putting them back on. I used to line up the rear barb, push in the bottom and then the front, push in the rear, and then -- after all three were presumably pushed in -- push in the center
of the cover ... as a final check, because at that point there should really be no movement.
Last, if you connect some stuff through
the side covers, you have another line of defense, should something go amiss.
Through the left, I added a Powerlet outlet, for charging and heated gear: see Victory Powerlet in Side Cover
. This is not as dumb as it may look; @LILMAGS500
followed those instructions, and it looked even better on his XC.
Through the right, I added a Schrader valve: see Adding an External Schrader Valve for the Air Shock on a Victory Cross Country Motorcycle
. I believe @JPokerwinski
is in the process of doing this mod.