ANother broken clutch cable - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Tarzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chandler,Az.
Posts: 977
Default ANother broken clutch cable

I was driving down the driveway this morning and pulled the clutch in and.......snap.#&%$*#, I got about 5000 miles out of it.I had one break last year 100 miles from home.
Luckily, this time I had a sav-ur-ride in my saddle bag. I just installed it after I got home from work.
I also just ordered another Barnett cable from Conquest, so it should be here next week some time.
It just kind of makes me mad that a clutch cable won't last.I mean at $90 a pop it gets expensive.

'14 Ness XC
Tarzan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
NOEMTZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 1,567
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
I was driving down the driveway this morning and pulled the clutch in and.......snap.#&%$*#, I got about 5000 miles out of it.I had one break last year 100 miles from home.
Luckily, this time I had a sav-ur-ride in my saddle bag. I just installed it after I got home from work.
I also just ordered another Barnett cable from Conquest, so it should be here next week some time.
It just kind of makes me mad that a clutch cable won't last.I mean at $90 a pop it gets expensive.
Why replace the Sav-Ur-Ride? Just leave it in there and order an extra. Cheaper then Barnett..just saying.

www.noemtz.com
Parts & Accessories, Grips, Pegs,Tail Lights, Clear Signal Lenses, Clutch Cable Repair Kits, Custom Tank Badges, Brake Pads, Led Conversions and installation, 12 Volt Adaptors, Chrome, Dyna Beads Wheel Balancing, Heel Blades, Kickstand extensions and much more!

"I Would Rather Die On My Feet, Than Live On My Knees...Emiliano Zapata - 1910"
I DONT PICK SIDES, GO WITH THE FLOW, OR PUT UP WITH BULLSHIT.
I RELY SOLELY ON MYSELF, BEAUSE I HAVE MY OWN BACK. NOEMTZ - 2010
NOEMTZ is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 33
Default

Don't want to hi-jack your thread but I figured this was a good time to ask about my clutch cables. I have small Apes on my kingpin...I believe they are 14 in...is there anything I can use for a replacement cable? I also had my clutch cable snap on my vegas with standard bars and I was 200 miles away...pain in the a$$!
itzzeal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Tarzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chandler,Az.
Posts: 977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEMTZ View Post
Why replace the Sav-Ur-Ride? Just leave it in there and order an extra. Cheaper then Barnett..just saying.

DOH! I didn't even consider that.I suppose I could.The only thing that bothers me about that is the removable barrel.I wonder if it could work loose eventually?


itzzeal=
Quote:
Don't want to hi-jack your thread but I figured this was a good time to ask about my clutch cables. I have small Apes on my kingpin...I believe they are 14 in...is there anything I can use for a replacement cable? I also had my clutch cable snap on my vegas with standard bars and I was 200 miles away...pain in the a$$!
You can order a custom length Barnett cable,I don't know what others there are, but i'm sure there are other suppliers.

'14 Ness XC
Tarzan is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
NOEMTZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 1,567
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
DOH! I didn't even consider that.I suppose I could.The only thing that bothers me about that is the removable barrel.I wonder if it could work loose eventually?


itzzeal=

You can order a custom length Barnett cable,I don't know what others there are, but i'm sure there are other suppliers.
I have had my Sav-Ur-Ride on for a very long time. I know I have well over 10 K miles on it. Just didn't see the point in removing it. I made it a point to deburr and lubricate when I made it home. Now I clean and re-lube every other oil change. So far so good!

As for the long cable....yes Barnett does make custom lengths. Check with Scott over at Conquest Customs. If a replacement or emergency Sav-Ur-Ride is what your looking for. The C102L kit is 8" longer then stock cable. If that won't work for you. Let me know the exact length and I will run it by the folks at Sav-Ur-Ride.

www.noemtz.com
Parts & Accessories, Grips, Pegs,Tail Lights, Clear Signal Lenses, Clutch Cable Repair Kits, Custom Tank Badges, Brake Pads, Led Conversions and installation, 12 Volt Adaptors, Chrome, Dyna Beads Wheel Balancing, Heel Blades, Kickstand extensions and much more!

"I Would Rather Die On My Feet, Than Live On My Knees...Emiliano Zapata - 1910"
I DONT PICK SIDES, GO WITH THE FLOW, OR PUT UP WITH BULLSHIT.
I RELY SOLELY ON MYSELF, BEAUSE I HAVE MY OWN BACK. NOEMTZ - 2010
NOEMTZ is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Tarzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chandler,Az.
Posts: 977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEMTZ View Post
I have had my Sav-Ur-Ride on for a very long time. I know I have well over 10 K miles on it. Just didn't see the point in removing it. I made it a point to deburr and lubricate when I made it home. Now I clean and re-lube every other oil change. So far so good!
.
Wow you have already got twice as many miles out of the sav-ur-ride than my last one.If I break another one, I will just use the sav-ur-ride.
Unfortunately I already ordered another Barnett.
BTW,my cable broke at the bottom.Not at the handle.The end just popped right off.

'14 Ness XC
Tarzan is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 33
Default

Thanks NOEMTZ I will measure them out and PM you. I'd like to have a replacement emergency cable in case the worst happens when I'm out cruising.
itzzeal is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fort Branch In
Posts: 28
Default

Are you guys having cable failure lubing them or running them dry?
IronHorseman is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
NOEMTZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 1,567
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronHorseman View Post
Are you guys having cable failure lubing them or running them dry?
Most have been dry OEM. Some deburring needed around pivot points in most as well.

www.noemtz.com
Parts & Accessories, Grips, Pegs,Tail Lights, Clear Signal Lenses, Clutch Cable Repair Kits, Custom Tank Badges, Brake Pads, Led Conversions and installation, 12 Volt Adaptors, Chrome, Dyna Beads Wheel Balancing, Heel Blades, Kickstand extensions and much more!

"I Would Rather Die On My Feet, Than Live On My Knees...Emiliano Zapata - 1910"
I DONT PICK SIDES, GO WITH THE FLOW, OR PUT UP WITH BULLSHIT.
I RELY SOLELY ON MYSELF, BEAUSE I HAVE MY OWN BACK. NOEMTZ - 2010
NOEMTZ is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fort Branch In
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEMTZ View Post
Most have been dry OEM. Some deburring needed around pivot points in most as well.
I never run a cable dry. I slip a spark plug boot over the end and poor 80W90 Amsoil through them until it comes out the other end. I haven`t had a cable failure since 1993 so it must work.
IronHorseman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome