Motorcycle Injuries Worsen With Weaker Helmet Laws - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 511
Default Motorcycle Injuries Worsen With Weaker Helmet Laws

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...th_weaker_h-ap

Face it Helmets help reduce injuries and do save lives. Insurance is only going to keep going up due to those who refuse to wear helmets and get in crashes suffering injuries. With Obama care fixing to kick in it is only going to get worse.

Are helmets really that bad?

I choose to wear a full face Arai helmet when I ride. But the fact is there are different styles of helmets to fit anyone's needs. My wife wears an Arai full face as well and we use wireless blue tooth from senna to talk back and forth. You want to feel the wind in your face wear a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet and you will get all the wind you want in your face. If you want your ears uncovered wear a 1/2 helmet and you will get wind in your face as well as your ears while you go deaf from the wind noise but at least your head will be afforded some protection.

It is a total cop out saying it should be your right to choose because driving is not a right it is a privilege.
Victory 1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
 
broggyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Naugatuck, CT
Posts: 6,368
Garage
Default

Yay, a helmet law thread!

In CT, we do not have a helmet law (unless you are under 18) but I wear my full-face every time. When I started riding, There was no way I was going to wear a helmet - it's heavy, hinders vision, and they get hot!

Then, I got my first touring motorcycle - a Suzuki Cavalcade. It had a built-in intercom system, so of course I needed a helmet to hold the electronics!

Since then I have always (with ONE exception back in 2005 or 2006) worn my helmet. If there is no law, then a rider should do as he chooses. I choose to wear.



2013 XCT, Boardwalk Blue w/ Vicwrapz
S&S Cams, Lloydz filter & ATS +3, PCV, UD pulley, Alto Red Eagle clutch plates
Madstad Windshield, 5000K HID, TriOvals, Memphis Shields wings, Ultimate seat
JVC KD-X35MDT, PBR300X4, Polk DB6502, DaytonAudio ND140-4 rear
HyperLites, LED driving lights, Lloydz dyno 105+H and 117+T
Arlen Ness blinkers, KlockWerks KlipHanger bars, Avon grips

Spectro Golden 4 20w40 for Victory L.SG424, Kury Sabertooth LEDs
THE FEW, THE PROUD, THE OBSCURE. TTWFO2
broggyr is offline  
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Pop
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Side of a mountain in New Hampshire
Posts: 1,208
Garage
Default

HLDI , the insurance industry numbercrunchers.
You want to hang your argument for helmets on their propaganda do it from the seat of your Volvo. That's about the only thing that they want to see on the roads.

Red.
2012
Cross Country Tour.


We can't help it
We just keep moving
It's been that way since long ago
Since the stone age chasing the great herds
We mostly go where we have to go

That was written by James McMurtry
Pop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broggyr View Post
Yay, a helmet law thread!

In CT, we do not have a helmet law (unless you are under 18) but I wear my full-face every time. When I started riding, There was no way I was going to wear a helmet - it's heavy, hinders vision, and they get hot!

Then, I got my first touring motorcycle - a Suzuki Cavalcade. It had a built-in intercom system, so of course I needed a helmet to hold the electronics!

Since then I have always (with ONE exception back in 2005 or 2006) worn my helmet. If there is no law, then a rider should do as he chooses. I choose to wear.
Except driving is not a right, it is a privilege. Because it is a privilege you do have to obey any regulations that come with that privilege.

The numbers are there showing no helmet use costs all of us more money due to increased injuries and deaths.
Victory 1 is offline  
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
RICZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 12,122
Default

Volvos are safe only due to perception brought on by advertising campaigns. My perception is that Volvos are inherently unsafe because they are driven by those who know consciously or subconsciously that they are rotten drivers and are eventually going to crash and want what they think is the most crash worthy car around them. They are right, IMO because a Volvo driver is capable of making some of the most bizarre moves at any given time, so I give them wide berth. As I do with BMWs--an enthusiast car bought by non enthusiast drivers here on our shores. Then there are the Ford Excursion drivers....

2010 Midnight Cherry XR. 7Jurock, Lloydz AF, ATS, AFR tuned VFCIII, IAV, and T-6 and locally repacked pipes = big smiles. SOLD to a dear friend, so it's still in the family."
2017 Spyder F3 Limited - keeps this old guy in the wind and riding with friends.
Cure that ugly stand up license plate with the cheapest and best laydown bracket. Click this:
https://www.victoryforums.com/11-ven...t-x-bikes.html
RICZ is offline  
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
 
broggyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Naugatuck, CT
Posts: 6,368
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory 1 View Post
Except driving is not a right, it is a privilege. Because it is a privilege you do have to obey any regulations that come with that privilege.

The numbers are there showing no helmet use costs all of us more money due to increased injuries and deaths.
And I do obey. Over and above what is required here.
The good thing is, I don't have to do anything special when riding to a neighboring state.



2013 XCT, Boardwalk Blue w/ Vicwrapz
S&S Cams, Lloydz filter & ATS +3, PCV, UD pulley, Alto Red Eagle clutch plates
Madstad Windshield, 5000K HID, TriOvals, Memphis Shields wings, Ultimate seat
JVC KD-X35MDT, PBR300X4, Polk DB6502, DaytonAudio ND140-4 rear
HyperLites, LED driving lights, Lloydz dyno 105+H and 117+T
Arlen Ness blinkers, KlockWerks KlipHanger bars, Avon grips

Spectro Golden 4 20w40 for Victory L.SG424, Kury Sabertooth LEDs
THE FEW, THE PROUD, THE OBSCURE. TTWFO2
broggyr is offline  
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Lostintexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 784
Default

LOL, helmet laws suck. They interfere with natural selection.

Anti helmeters don't care about much other than their "rights", so this is just irritating electrons.

Cheers

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem.~ Ronald Reagan

2012 XCT, AFR+ Gen 4, Lloydz air filter. I don't equate noise with power.
I ride with the Force.
Lostintexas is offline  
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Lan
Lifetime Premium
 
Lan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bowie, MD
Posts: 9
Garage
Default

I'm just glad the govt is here to save us.
Lan is offline  
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Goatlocker95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 851
Default

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1369934831172.jpg (54.2 KB, 25 views)

2014 Indian Chieftain

Last edited by Goatlocker95; 05-30-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: remove double post of picture
Goatlocker95 is offline  
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broggyr View Post
Yay, a helmet law thread!
Wooo hooo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory 1 View Post
Are helmets really that bad?
No, helmets are good. What's bad is this freedom of choice! Please, take it away, so we don't have to waste our time thinking and debating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory 1 View Post
Except driving is not a right, it is a privilege. Because it is a privilege you do have to obey any regulations that come with that privilege.
By the way, let the government impose mandatory helmet and the next agenda will be mandatory air bags, seat belts, and a cage on your bike, because some statistic will prove it's safer. Better yet, just ban motorcycles, since driving is a privilege so we can all drive a cage and be safer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory 1 View Post
The numbers are there showing no helmet use costs all of us more money due to increased injuries and deaths.
Yes, ban motorcycles I tell ya, and the insurance rates will go down. Ban driving too, and we can all go to the horse and buggy and the insurance rates will lower even more!

Or maybe a lockdown where nobody leaves their home will be the ultimate in roadway safety!

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2016 Springfield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome