Looking to get American Iron. - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 106
Default Looking to get American Iron.

Been studying Harley's new engine (because I had one many years ago) and I know one has to have wrenches. Have not needed much more than a socket kit since rising metrics for the past 18 years.
Harley is an emotional buy. But prices are waaaaaay down from what i sold mine for used. Seems like a good buy for a 5k a year rider like me.

Victory is a great bike and a phenomenal buy used although there is no selection. We have one dealer here that went independent from the major and only Power Sports dealer. I don't think they have legs yet.

They are living on their own Accessories from this site
http://www.coastalvictory.com/default.asp?page=hot-vic

I don't want to have to ride (or be towed) 100 miles for service. There are some great prices on used Victories vs used Harleys
KingFrog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Member
 
gamuddawg151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Augusta,Ga
Posts: 57
Default

I haven't used coastal myself but have heard good stuff about them.
gamuddawg151 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFrog View Post
Seems like a good buy for a 5k a year rider like me.

I don't want to have to ride (or be towed) 100 miles for service. There are some great prices on used Victories vs used Harleys
If you only put 5k miles a year on your bike, for the first 4 years, you really wouldn't have to do anything to your Vic besides a yearly oil change that requires and allen wrench, a jug of oil, a filter, and 18 minutes of your time.

I would suggest you might want to change the brake fluid every couple of years, but that's only another half hour of your time and a bottle of DOT4 fluid out of your wallet. You could always pay the garage an extra few bucks to do that when your tires need changing at ~10k intervals.

The odds of you needing to be towed are pretty remote. Take a look at all the guys around here who have done drama free IBA runs on theirs. Vics are solid machines.




https://www.victoryforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic6903_1.gif
2011 Cross Roads
saddlebag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
If you only put 5k miles a year on your bike, for the first 4 years, you really wouldn't have to do anything to your Vic besides a yearly oil change that requires and allen wrench, a jug of oil, a filter, and 18 minutes of your time.

I would suggest you might want to change the brake fluid every couple of years, but that's only another half hour of your time and a bottle of DOT4 fluid out of your wallet. You could always pay the garage an extra few bucks to do that when your tires need changing at ~10k intervals.

The odds of you needing to be towed are pretty remote. Take a look at all the guys around here who have done drama free IBA runs on theirs. Vics are solid machines.
Yeah thanks.,Thats All I have done with my Yamaha in the past few years. But I have the Service dept within a couple miles if I need anything. I did swap my brake fluid and have the dealer change the tires on the bike so they can adjust everything as well.

I already learned how to swap Cam tensioners on a Harley ($1400 job) but decided 07 and up is the way to go there. Three hole oil changed once a year would not be too bad.

The dilemma is there are far more choices for Harleys, far more service available from independents, and prices are low for used bikes. Easy to sell. But like the metrics one gets a whole lot more bike for money with a Vic especially pre owned. I am looking at sub 7K 09 Vegas' with asking prices of $9000 and Kingpins for even less if I cast a wide net.

I won't be buying new anytime soon. I learned my lesson with the Yamaha and seeing the gap between new and Used NADA on ALL bikes (even Harley is not the re sale it was when I sold mine) is not worth saving a few thousand miles.
KingFrog is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Luciferiad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Twin Falls, ID
Posts: 1,292
Garage
Default

Unless you blow a fork seal and have neither the tools, time, nor inclination to repair it yourself, you won't need to see the dealer till the more technically demanding maintenance is due.

You can call me Billy. Or Luci. But don't call me Shirley.

Mine:
2011 Cross Roads, crimson red
Lloyd'z ATS, IAV, VFC-III. Vic "High Performance" air filter. Ness Big Honkers. Funsies.

Hers
2015 Vegas 8-Ball

My musings:www.billyrulez.wordpress.com
Luciferiad is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
lstayner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Prairie City, IA
Posts: 257
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFrog View Post
Been studying Harley's new engine (because I had one many years ago) and I know one has to have wrenches. Have not needed much more than a socket kit since rising metrics for the past 18 years.
Harley is an emotional buy. But prices are waaaaaay down from what i sold mine for used. Seems like a good buy for a 5k a year rider like me.

Victory is a great bike and a phenomenal buy used although there is no selection. We have one dealer here that went independent from the major and only Power Sports dealer. I don't think they have legs yet.

They are living on their own Accessories from this site
http://www.coastalvictory.com/default.asp?page=hot-vic

I don't want to have to ride (or be towed) 100 miles for service. There are some great prices on used Victories vs used Harleys
The only thing I would tell you to do is use a fuel stabilizer. That few of miles a year on any bike is going to cause fuel issues eventually. I burn E10 but in your case would steer towards Premium UNL.

Whatever you do, do not get on a Vision. It will ruin you and all you will think about is a vision from that point forward.

ATGATT because walking away in disgust is better than riding away in an ambulance.

Never get to busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Larry

2011 Pearl White Vision 88,000 smiles
lstayner is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
The only thing I would tell you to do is use a fuel stabilizer. That few of miles a year on any bike is going to cause fuel issues eventually. I burn E10 but in your case would steer towards Premium UNL.
I agree, if low miles are planned, fuel stabilizer and battery trickle charger are your two best friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
Whatever you do, do not get on a Vision. It will ruin you and all you will think about is a vision from that point forward.
Yeah, he can kiss goodbye his plan of riding only 5k/year. The Vision has a very sticky seat - once you're in it, you can't get off for a few hours a time.

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2016 Springfield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
The only thing I would tell you to do is use a fuel stabilizer. That few of miles a year on any bike is going to cause fuel issues eventually. I burn E10 but in your case would steer towards Premium UNL.

Whatever you do, do not get on a Vision. It will ruin you and all you will think about is a vision from that point forward.
I run Ethanol free 91 in my bikes and burn through around a tank a week all year long. I am more likely to need fuel stabilizer in the Tacoma LOL.

I cannot wrap my eyes around a Vision. Its a love or hate look. Polarizing from Polaris. I just don't care for the Space ship look.
More inclined to buy the more conservative looking Cross Roads Classic for the tourer. Anything with hard painted bags or dashboards are off the table

That said most of my riding is commutes. I don;t go on long rides since moving east from the west. Not much here except roads and trees. Out there I had to go 350 miles to get anywhere from Vegas and made those trips routinely. I had friends in San Diego where I lived a long time and a brother in Phoenix who rode as well. Riding into UTah and New Mexico was VERY nice...Lots of major scenery changes in all directions. Here its all the same. So touring is out.

Looking at King Pins, 8 Balls, with bags and shields. On the HD side I am looking at FLSTs, Soft Tails, Dynas. Love the Judge as well but its too new for good pricing pre owned. No spokes no White walls.

Last edited by KingFrog; 06-10-2013 at 01:30 PM.
KingFrog is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Senior Member
 
TNXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 2,299
Default

I am a 3.5k mile a year rider, or was one that is! I've got 3k on my XR since I bought it in late Sept and plan on putting a few thousand more before I reach the one year mark. The X bikes are so much fun to ride and can haul more stuff then you really need in the bags I try to ride every chance I get which is not as much as I would like. On a side note the X bikes are not American Iron but American Aluminum!

2011 Cross Roads Sunset Red
OEM short windshield, passenger backrest, crash bars, saddle bag bars, heated grips, vinyl closeouts, tachometer, ambient temp, LED headlight, luggage rack. WD lay down licence plate.
TNXR is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
half_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 4,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFrog View Post
Been studying Harley's new engine
Harley hasn't had a new engine since 1999 (that was 14 years ago) so boy, when you study you really take your time with it...

2006 Victory Kingpin
Lloydz 116" Stroker/Big Bore, .495 Cams, Torque Tubes Airbox,
RPW Thor Pipe, Lloydz ECU Flash, PC-III, PTS (-2), Rivera
Primo Clutch Spring, 31 Tooth Pulley w/Buell Belt.
half_crazy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome