slash down pipes - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 29
Default slash down pipes

HELP !!!

Is anybody else having a problem with the slash down pipes on your Kingpin or any other model?

I keep getting burned on the inside of my right leg.

When I stop, if I don't kick out my Right foot right away or leave my foot on the floorboard, I get burned.

I already burned a hole on my black jeans and left polyester on the pipes from my polyester - wrinkle free - trousers which I was wearing one day.

I haven't been able to remove the polyester from my pipes.

Will my leather chaps stick to the pipes if I wear them?

I'll be out of town for the next four days but I'll look for replies when I get back.

Thank you.

petey

2009 Kingpin Low with slash down pipes.

Only bikers know why a dog sticks his head out the window.
petey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 07:29 PM
The Diamond
 
diamondrmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N. California via Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,001
Garage
Default

Since there are no heat shields thats the way it is.

I THINK you can buy heat shield from RPWUSA for those.
diamondrmp is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,947
Default Insulating Exhaust Wrap

One option to at least consider would be insulating exhaust wrap.

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/p_...haust_wrap.php

By the way, I've never used any wrappers before, so I'm only suggesting this as an option you might want to explore and see if it's right for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg col_exh_wrap_pic.jpg (17.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (63.1 KB, 3 views)

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2016 Springfield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 03:49 PM
New Member
 
Swordsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: White, GA
Posts: 3
Default

BTW, leather doesn't melt.

You might still get burnt, but it won't stick.

~SM
Swordsman is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Tarzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chandler,Az.
Posts: 977
Default

I have melted snow pants on my slash pipes.They also have discolored two sets of leathers and my daughter sat on my bike after I rode it and burned her leg.Slash pipes are cool looking but are a pain in the butt. I love the look, the sound is pretty good,though a little too loud for me, performance is good with them though.
I have a 2 into 1 I will put on after I get my new pistons and cylinders installed.Hopefully the 2 into 1 will be a little more forgiving.

'14 Ness XC
Tarzan is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
One option to at least consider would be insulating exhaust wrap.

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/p_...haust_wrap.php

By the way, I've never used any wrappers before, so I'm only suggesting this as an option you might want to explore and see if it's right for you.
Thanks but I'm not ready to wrap those beautiful chrome pipes with tape.

I'll look into the heat shields.

petey

2009 Kingpin Low with slash down pipes.

Only bikers know why a dog sticks his head out the window.
petey is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
I have melted snow pants on my slash pipes.They also have discolored two sets of leathers and my daughter sat on my bike after I rode it and burned her leg.Slash pipes are cool looking but are a pain in the butt. I love the look, the sound is pretty good,though a little too loud for me, performance is good with them though.
I have a 2 into 1 I will put on after I get my new pistons and cylinders installed.Hopefully the 2 into 1 will be a little more forgiving.
Glad to hear that leather will not stick.

I don't mind the discoloration.

Sorry to hear about your daughter getting burned. Hopefully it wasn't too severe.

2009 Kingpin Low with slash down pipes.

Only bikers know why a dog sticks his head out the window.
petey is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 23
Default Heat shields

Running a Yamaha FJR I came across this thread many years ago:

http://fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=44

Doing a google search shows these Cobra Heat Shields (and some others) are still around, for example:

http://www.meancycles.com/Home.asp?B...ategoryID=2432

Don't know how they will do on curved pipes.

tom

edit: These pipes have heat shields, perhaps you can buy them separately:

http://www.rpwusa.com/RPW-USA-custom...slash-pipe.htm

I searched google with <"heat shields" +slash pipes> (ignore the < >)

Last edited by sanqhar; 11-15-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: More information
sanqhar is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanqhar View Post
Running a Yamaha FJR I came across this thread many years ago:

http://fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=44

Doing a google search shows these Cobra Heat Shields (and some others) are still around, for example:

http://www.meancycles.com/Home.asp?B...ategoryID=2432

Don't know how they will do on curved pipes.

tom

edit: These pipes have heat shields, perhaps you can buy them separately:

http://www.rpwusa.com/RPW-USA-custom...slash-pipe.htm

I searched google with <"heat shields" +slash pipes> (ignore the < >)
Thanks, I e-mailed RPW and asked them about a shield.

I'm waiting for a reply.

2009 Kingpin Low with slash down pipes.

Only bikers know why a dog sticks his head out the window.
petey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome