Belt noise - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
robvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 608
Garage
Default Belt noise

When I was trying to purchase a working Victory Blue Tooth Dongle at my local dealer... (With no luck)

I mentioned that while on this forum I was told that Victory was replacing rear pulleys on bikes that had the belt noise issue......

The parts guy says yes that is true and we keep the new rear pulley in stock. Just go over to service and tell them you have one of the bikes that has the issue...

So the service guy says we don't change the pulley until we try some things to stop the noise.

And if we can't stop the noise you have to come back and we have to see IF mother Vic will warranty the pulley change.

I say things like what.... Because I have tried tight loose - nothing seems to stop the noise....

He says we have had some luck buy running the belt off to the side of the pulley............

I say ,,,, you deliberately run the belt against the side of the pulley to see if the noise will go away even though you know there is an issue with the pulleys???? Not on my bike..

He says you will be back the noise will get to you..

So to save money there is a chance that driving the belt to one side or the other by running the back wheel out of alignment will stop the noise and that way they don't have to install the new pulley....
And this they say is from mother victory!!M!!

To me this says it may stop the noise and the owner can deal with the premature belt and pulley wear later down the road.

I just don't get this ....
They don't understand how far a happy bike owner will go to help Victory sell bikes. They would rather nickel and dime you...

These bikes are way over priced for what you get.
And way under represented.

If you understand happy owner and how powerful that is when it comes to sales then you wouldn't nickel and dime ......

They just don't understand that if they sold these bikes with the understanding that if there is a problem we will fix it fast the first time.

That would have there sales doubled by now. But all I hear is complaints. And not much wonder!!

Victory service SUCKS
WHAT DID FASTFORD say 9 days to replace the IAC Valve !!


Rob
2010 V Star 650 Custom (Wife's)
2013 XCT 2013 Suzuki KQ750 AXI Power Steerring
Victory Sport Touring Flag Ship
Lloydz Idle Air Valve
Lloydz PTW
60,000 km
Rear Rack
Passenger Grab Handles
Modified Heel Shifter
HID Low
Oil Temp Gauge
Ride-On TPS
Modified Stock Pipes by Thrush
K&N air filter
G-man Bully FI Controller
Heat Troller
LED Driving lights
PCV with AutoTune
robvision is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Winnipeg, MB Canada
Posts: 82
Default

Sadly for most I think it comes down to the dealer more than it does Victory. I mentioned to my dealer that the chirping from my belt which originally was very minimal had gotten to the point it was driving me nuts.

Service manager advised they had do do an "Ask Victory" dialogue with them to get it addressed. Since my bike has over 30,000 miles on it Victory came back with that it seemed odd that after this many miles it would become an issue and it was likely related to the bike being lowered or poor alignment. Dealer went back to them with the fact the bike is bone stock and belt is in alignment/tension. By the end of the day the dealer called to advise it took some back and forth but my new pulleys and belt were on the way. So far I've had a few more warranty issues on this bike than I would have liked to see but at this point I'm impressed with my dealer that each issue has been addressed quickly and thoroughly.

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour (Black Betty)
2001 Vulcan Nomad (Sold after 85,000 Happy KM's)
Chili is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Premium Member
 
dtmmil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hawley MN
Posts: 4,178
Default

I started using parrafin wax on mine and so far so good. After my ride home from work(40 miles) i wiped the sides of the belt with the wax block and it seems to help, its been silent for a few weeks now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

currently bikeless

2012 Cross Country(Imp blue)
de-badged,(self tinted) Klockwerx flare, passenger backrest, passenger touring floorboards, VictoryHID kit, Miller Mufflers short baffles,Lloyds air filter(from witchdr.)Lloyds timing wheel(6*), adjustable drop link, cut seat, removed cats, PCV w/at.
1978(2009) Honda cb750 chopper
Hawley MN(sold)
dtmmil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
robvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 608
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Sadly for most I think it comes down to the dealer more than it does Victory. I mentioned to my dealer that the chirping from my belt which originally was very minimal had gotten to the point it was driving me nuts.

Service manager advised they had do do an "Ask Victory" dialogue with them to get it addressed. Since my bike has over 30,000 miles on it Victory came back with that it seemed odd that after this many miles it would become an issue and it was likely related to the bike being lowered or poor alignment. Dealer went back to them with the fact the bike is bone stock and belt is in alignment/tension. By the end of the day the dealer called to advise it took some back and forth but my new pulleys and belt were on the way. So far I've had a few more warranty issues on this bike than I would have liked to see but at this point I'm impressed with my dealer that each issue has been addressed quickly and thoroughly.
Thats good to hear. Your lucky your dealer stepped up for you.


Rob
2010 V Star 650 Custom (Wife's)
2013 XCT 2013 Suzuki KQ750 AXI Power Steerring
Victory Sport Touring Flag Ship
Lloydz Idle Air Valve
Lloydz PTW
60,000 km
Rear Rack
Passenger Grab Handles
Modified Heel Shifter
HID Low
Oil Temp Gauge
Ride-On TPS
Modified Stock Pipes by Thrush
K&N air filter
G-man Bully FI Controller
Heat Troller
LED Driving lights
PCV with AutoTune
robvision is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
robvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 608
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmmil View Post
I started using parrafin wax on mine and so far so good. After my ride home from work(40 miles) i wiped the sides of the belt with the wax block and it seems to help, its been silent for a few weeks now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I been using chain lub. I know it will kill the belt but cant handle the noise.

I will try the parrafin. That sounds like a really good idea.
Thanks for this..


Rob
2010 V Star 650 Custom (Wife's)
2013 XCT 2013 Suzuki KQ750 AXI Power Steerring
Victory Sport Touring Flag Ship
Lloydz Idle Air Valve
Lloydz PTW
60,000 km
Rear Rack
Passenger Grab Handles
Modified Heel Shifter
HID Low
Oil Temp Gauge
Ride-On TPS
Modified Stock Pipes by Thrush
K&N air filter
G-man Bully FI Controller
Heat Troller
LED Driving lights
PCV with AutoTune
robvision is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 12,949
Default

First I drought your dealer has a pulley in stock or even a belt. Most dealers don't even carry some of the basics in stock like a starter solenoid or even a starter relay not even most gaskets.
I can see a service department try to Aline the belt first. Yes you adjust the belt to the inside of the pulley and then try to adjust it so it just comes off edge to center and lock it down.
You have to try to adjust the belt before you can say the pulley is bad.
You have all read when there is a warranty of a part they have to call Vic to get the OK. So why is your dealer special spending money on a pulley and not use it for month or two. A pulley sells for $290 bucks and a dealer is going to spend money on that and wait for some one to buy it. Not

2008 Vision
Mpls, MN.

Please add your state and model of bike you have. Click user CP @ top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 153
Default

Plain old Dial soap worked for me


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
shanex is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
robvision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 608
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionjohnny View Post
First I drought your dealer has a pulley in stock or even a belt. Most dealers don't even carry some of the basics in stock like a starter solenoid or even a starter relay not even most gaskets.
I can see a service department try to Aline the belt first. Yes you adjust the belt to the inside of the pulley and then try to adjust it so it just comes off edge to center and lock it down.
You have to try to adjust the belt before you can say the pulley is bad.
You have all read when there is a warranty of a part they have to call Vic to get the OK. So why is your dealer special spending money on a pulley and not use it for month or two. A pulley sells for $290 bucks and a dealer is going to spend money on that and wait for some one to buy it. Not
They got one in stock. I know the parts guy. He even pulled it and showed me. My dealer has a very cool building mucho bucks where spent on the dealership. But they do sell trucks and trailers too..

The idea as I stated before is that they will NOT adjust the belt away from the edge. But will drive it to one side and see if trying to climb over the edge stops the noise. This is what they were told to do.... Not good...But may get you out of there hair ... for a while...

The dealer here has a lot of parts in stock. It is very professional looking. Most all accessories and lots of Swag.

I have a 300.00 Victory Jacket with TWO liners.... (Not Leather)

http://www.route1ms.com/Default.asp


Rob
2010 V Star 650 Custom (Wife's)
2013 XCT 2013 Suzuki KQ750 AXI Power Steerring
Victory Sport Touring Flag Ship
Lloydz Idle Air Valve
Lloydz PTW
60,000 km
Rear Rack
Passenger Grab Handles
Modified Heel Shifter
HID Low
Oil Temp Gauge
Ride-On TPS
Modified Stock Pipes by Thrush
K&N air filter
G-man Bully FI Controller
Heat Troller
LED Driving lights
PCV with AutoTune
robvision is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Senior Member
 
NJ8BALL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 931
Garage
Default

My dealer and polaris ruined a fine riding bike experience for me. I'm trading this in as soon as possible and getting to more customer friendly maker

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

'09 Kingpin 8-Ball...Sanded chrome exhaust, Stage 1 slipons, VFCIII, Lloyds IAV, Stonny's 27" sissybar, Edge bags with ghost brackets,Kuryakyn black ISO grips,

http://www.bluebeardimagery.com/
http://blue-beard-imagery.artistwebsites.com/
Photo equip: Canon 60D, Canon 55-250is, Canon 18-55, Canon 70-200f4,Tamron SP10-24
NJ8BALL is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ8BALL View Post
My dealer and polaris ruined a fine riding bike experience for me. I'm trading this in as soon as possible and getting to more customer friendly maker
Bummer... What happened? As far as switching, which manufacturer do you have in mind?

victory-motorcycles-dealers-ranked-highest-in-customer-satisfaction-34906_1.jpg

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2016 Springfield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome