I actually solved my power problem this evening.
Under the seat, I was able to locate the wiring going back to the tail section. I opened a disconnect there and used a multimeter to find a wire that went hot when the ignition was activated. Spliced into that wire for the amp. Works like a charm now...and you literally can only see the speakers and an 1/8" connector at the handlebars. Very clean.
Tomorrow, the Ram mount arrives to mount my iPhone...which I'll be using as an MP3 player. I also downloaded TomTom for the iPhone....which, having used in my car over the last couple of days, seems to be working quite well. The sweet thing about having everything on the same unit is that TomTom will fade music for the voice directions, then bring it back to volume afterward. Pretty cool.
Now, if we could just find a water tight iPhone case that doesn't have reviews where users say it overheats, we'd be all set.
Here's a shot of the speakers. Not really much to see...which is a good thing. Wires run up under the gas tank to behind the right-side panel cover, where the fuze box is.
Amp is mounted to the frame under there. Even though it's a waterproof amp, I didn't see any reason to expose it to rain purposely.
Oh yeah...got this system from motorcycletunes.com
This is the Polk audio system with the 600w water proof amp. Came with speaker clamps and all the hardware necessary to install. Plenty of wire to get things where you want them. In fact, I cut off about 4 feet of excess speaker wire. Note...it didn't come with any zip ties or anything to secure the wires to the frame.
I actually called these guys before I placed an order, since I hadn't heard of them. Very informative. Shipped that day. Arrived in two days via UPS. Packed pretty well. Instructions were excellent. The hardest part was figuring out where to put the amp, and where to find the power.