Vegas wiring help - brake light - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 58
Default Vegas wiring help - brake light

I am trying to add a 1929 style brake light on a horizontal license plate mount.

The plate has been mounted to axle and has been tightened to corect torque settings.

I have ran aground wire to the unit and have splices the runing light wire into the running light wire for the OEM brake light.

The issue that I am having is that the wiring diagram I have shows two wires that should lead to the brake light. (black with white stripe and white. My bike however has a black with white stripe and a red wire). When i sliced into the red wire, the new brake light doesnt light up.... I know the wiring for he leads to the brake light is good as i tested them with aligator clips directly to teh battery.

I am just having trouble finding the correct wire to splice into.

Additionally, as the brake light is LED (OEM), should I use a relay to power the rear brake light?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
Ndmba2010 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Senior Member
 
RICZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 12,125
Default

I find a 12 volt test light works wonders when doing these kinds of projects.

2010 Midnight Cherry XR. 7Jurock, Lloydz AF, ATS, AFR tuned VFCIII, IAV, and T-6 and locally repacked pipes = big smiles. SOLD to a dear friend, so it's still in the family."
2017 Spyder F3 Limited - keeps this old guy in the wind and riding with friends.
Cure that ugly stand up license plate with the cheapest and best laydown bracket. Click this:
https://www.victoryforums.com/11-ven...t-x-bikes.html
RICZ is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 10:59 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
NOEMTZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 1,567
Garage
Default

What year vegas? Some years are set up for low voltage brake light/Tail light function…..so regular 12 volt side mount bulb may not be supplied enough voltage to burn.

www.noemtz.com
Parts & Accessories, Grips, Pegs,Tail Lights, Clear Signal Lenses, Clutch Cable Repair Kits, Custom Tank Badges, Brake Pads, Led Conversions and installation, 12 Volt Adaptors, Chrome, Dyna Beads Wheel Balancing, Heel Blades, Kickstand extensions and much more!

"I Would Rather Die On My Feet, Than Live On My Knees...Emiliano Zapata - 1910"
“I DON’T PICK SIDES, GO WITH THE FLOW, OR PUT UP WITH BULLSHIT.
I RELY SOLELY ON MYSELF, BEAUSE I HAVE MY OWN BACK. NOEMTZ - 2010”
NOEMTZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEMTZ View Post
What year vegas? Some years are set up for low voltage brake light/Tail light function…..so regular 12 volt side mount bulb may not be supplied enough voltage to burn.

My bike is a 2005 vegas
That was my thought, and why i wondered if a relay may be needed. However, the running light works just fine in the brake light as it was spliced into the purple wire for the license plate light.


I tried a circuit tester, but as its an old one that my father in law gave me... I am not sure it was working.

Would i be correct to assume that the black with a white wire should be the ground and the red to be the positive lead for the brake light? The wiring diagram shows only two wires going ot the brake light... the black with white stripe and red, but as there is a running light and a brake light... could the brake light be grounded to the frame? and one wire is the runing light positive wire and the other is the positive brake light?

Thanks for the help guys.
Ndmba2010 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 12,949
Default

check your test light using the battery to see if it lights up. No relay needed.
Black normally is ground. Red could be for break. The other is for running light.
Take test light and hook the one end to ground like frame. Now turn key on and see what wire has power.
Now tie break lever to grip so the break light should be on and see what wire has power.
Now with new light hold or clamp black white to the ground on battery. Now take the other two wires and one at a time touch to the positive side of battery. The brightest one will be break.

2008 Vision
Mpls, MN.

Please add your state and model of bike you have. Click user CP @ top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Senior Member
 
KNielsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 139
Default

Your vegas should be the same as my kingpin in which the stock brake light runs on a 3 volt system. one wire provides the running light and when the brake light is applied the same wire receives just a little more power and glows for brake.

Like with my LED brake light I installed your 1929 light may require more power and you may need to run a load equalizer as stock will not power that light enough. in that case WD or noemtz has the part you need. it will sit under the seat and amplify that 3 volt system to 12v

In that system you need to run plate light (purple wire) for your running lights and then the red light carries the brake light voltage.

I hope this helped

07 Kingpin
Bob Dron Fairing
Dakota Digital Tach
L.E.D. Tail Light
H.I.D.s
Stage 1 Shotgun Pipes
1/4 Turn Throttle
KNielsen is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNielsen View Post
Your vegas should be the same as my kingpin in which the stock brake light runs on a 3 volt system. one wire provides the running light and when the brake light is applied the same wire receives just a little more power and glows for brake.

Like with my LED brake light I installed your 1929 light may require more power and you may need to run a load equalizer as stock will not power that light enough. in that case WD or noemtz has the part you need. it will sit under the seat and amplify that 3 volt system to 12v

In that system you need to run plate light (purple wire) for your running lights and then the red light carries the brake light voltage.

I hope this helped

Will the 12V witchdoctors unit cause the stock brakelight to burn out? I do not plan on replacing or removing the stock brakelight. I simply need to have a higher amount of power sent to the additional brakelight. If i switch to the 12v witchdoctors adapter the additional brakelight will have enough power, but I am not sure if this would cause the stock brake light to burn out.. or always be on. Thoughts?

This is why I thought a relay may be a good alternative. I coul duse the brake light as a switch and the power woul dbe 12v coming straight from the battery.

Last edited by Ndmba2010; 03-17-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Ndmba2010 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Senior Member
 
KNielsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndmba2010 View Post
Will the 12V witchdoctors unit cause the stock brakelight to burn out? I do not plan on replacing or removing the stock brakelight. I simply need to have a higher amount of power sent to the additional brakelight. If i switch to the 12v witchdoctors adapter the additional brakelight will have enough power, but I am not sure if this would cause the stock brake light to burn out.. or always be on. Thoughts?

This is why I thought a relay may be a good alternative. I coul duse the brake light as a switch and the power woul dbe 12v coming straight from the battery.
It most definitely will burnout ur stock light. Don't ask me how I know and I won't have to admit anything silly. I thought this was a replacement light not additional. Your plan sounds good. Just switching a relay shouldn't be too hard on the system I wouldn't think

07 Kingpin
Bob Dron Fairing
Dakota Digital Tach
L.E.D. Tail Light
H.I.D.s
Stage 1 Shotgun Pipes
1/4 Turn Throttle
KNielsen is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 58
Default

Does anyone know the voltage needed to engage a 4 pin relay? I wired up the brake light to a relay, but when I hit the brake only the OEM brake light will come on. I checked the wiring and I am confident it is done correctly as I have used 4 pin relays before on other motorcycles. I am wondering if since the 05 vegas tailights are a low voltage application, there may not be suffficient voltage goin to the relay to trip the relay. I had heard before that a 4 pin requires 5.7 volts and I am thinking that the OEM brake light may not carry enough voltage. I am considering at this point to just install the 12V witchdoctors set up including the new tailight. I know this will give me enough voltage to run the 1929 style light as well, but I was wanting to get other oppinions before spending the almost $300 on the witchdoctors set up. Any help would be appreciated.
Ndmba2010 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Senior Member
 
KNielsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndmba2010 View Post
Does anyone know the voltage needed to engage a 4 pin relay? I wired up the brake light to a relay, but when I hit the brake only the OEM brake light will come on. I checked the wiring and I am confident it is done correctly as I have used 4 pin relays before on other motorcycles. I am wondering if since the 05 vegas tailights are a low voltage application, there may not be suffficient voltage goin to the relay to trip the relay. I had heard before that a 4 pin requires 5.7 volts and I am thinking that the OEM brake light may not carry enough voltage. I am considering at this point to just install the 12V witchdoctors set up including the new tailight. I know this will give me enough voltage to run the 1929 style light as well, but I was wanting to get other oppinions before spending the almost $300 on the witchdoctors set up. Any help would be appreciated.

There are different relays that engage at different voltages, if you have a multimeter i would check to see the voltage you are getting from you brake light off and applied. Where to find those different relats im not sure.

I will say that the WD is VERY sharp and i really really like it so I dont think you will be disappointed, plus there are people out there looking for the stock light so you should be able to make some money off of that too. Just so you are informed when i called my vic dealer i was quoted 213$ for the stock light. Selling yours for 150 saves someone else $$$ and cuts your WD light cost in half. IMO

I hope i have helped

07 Kingpin
Bob Dron Fairing
Dakota Digital Tach
L.E.D. Tail Light
H.I.D.s
Stage 1 Shotgun Pipes
1/4 Turn Throttle
KNielsen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome