Is Victory moving to Mexico? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
maurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jacksonville Fl.
Posts: 108
Default Is Victory moving to Mexico?

I assume most of you heard they are opening a plant in Mexico, not to build the engine which is built or going to be in Iowa, but for some other reason. Maybe make everything but the engine. Anyone know what's up with this, and how do you feel about it. Curious.

maurice

Last edited by CrossRoads; 12-13-2011 at 09:49 PM.
maurice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Goatlocker95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 851
Default

The problem with your post is that you're wrong. POLARIS is moving SOME production to Mexico.

From MPRnews Polaris: Moving to Mexico to get closer to customers (Posted on May 21, 2010 - over a year ago BTW)

Quote:
Polaris CEO Scott Wine says the company is closing the plant and opening a facility in Mexico to get closer to key customers and to cut labor costs. He says many competitors have made similar moves.

"We have concluded that in order to remain competitive and position Polaris for growth in the global market, we must align our manufacturing operations closer to our evolving customer base and seek to lower our overall manufacturing and logistics costs," said Wine.

The company expects the move will help it eventually save $30 million a year, with much of the savings coming from lower wages. Officials didn't detail how much lower the wages would be in Mexico, though.

In Mexico, Wine says Polaris will be closer to states where its ATVs and related products have been selling especially well.

"Our ATV and side-by-side products represent over two-thirds of our total sales, with about 40 percent of that customer base located in the southern half of the United States," he said.
Personally I feel they could move to Nevada and will be even "closer to states where its ATVs and related products have been selling especially well". I understand that wages are cheaper in Mexico than in the US. It just sucks that they have to move to stay competitive. Still better than moving to China like seems to be the latest trend. 'Heartless' Harley-Davidson closes wheel plant
GE Moves Healthcare Division's X-Ray Unit Headquarters To China

2014 Indian Chieftain
Goatlocker95 is offline  
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
maurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Jacksonville Fl.
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatlocker95 View Post
The problem with your post is that you're wrong. POLARIS is moving SOME production to Mexico.
I didn't say they are moving ALL production? Maybe you had a bad day.

maurice
maurice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
 
ashmostro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatlocker95 View Post

Personally I feel they could move to Nevada and will be even "closer to states where its ATVs and related products have been selling especially well".
Problem is finding a workforce in Nevada that rivals Mexico. It's way easier to find workers south of the border.

That said, there are other US states that would be better examples than NV, and arguably would fit the requirement posed. I honestly think the reason was costs and the "being closer to our customer base" while cost-influenced is not the whole story.

2011 Victory Kingpin 8-Ball
Tach / Dual front discs with Vesrah JL pads / Penske shock / S&S Intake / PCV & autotune / RPW Thor exhaust with homemade custom baffle / Tsukayu leather "Strong" bags / Avon Cobra *Radials* / Ness Vegas Peg Conversion / Ness Vegas driver's seat / Custom T-Apes from BR Custom Cycles
ashmostro is offline  
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 201
Default

Thats a dame shame!!Very disappointed with this move.Like we need to lose anymore jobs!I dont think the Mexicans are buying $20000 bikes or anything for that matter.Make the product somewere else and let the americans buy it!!what a joke.I am a union construction worker and made in america is important to me!The labor in mexico will be cheaper but the price on the bikes will not come down thats for sure!Ita all corporate greed.
shooter is offline  
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
albradburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upcountry SC
Posts: 180
Default

This is bad news in my humble opinion. I really love my Cross Country but the main reason I bought it was MADE IN USA! This sends the worst possible message to those of us trying to support a failing economy. If the CEOs quote is accurate than savings "from lower wages" means giving away American jobs. And to which competitors is Steve Wine referring? Victory has already demonstrated that it can compete with what the Japanese are offering despite a higher price tag. Maybe he's talking about the $30k BMW K model?! I'm confused. Bottom line, quit jerkin my chain. Just admit that this is nothing more than grabbing for a larger profit share. I for one am trully disappointed.

You're gonna be dead a long time, what are you waitin for?!
DOC
2010 Victory Cross Country
albradburn is offline  
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Goatlocker95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 851
Default

VICTORY HAS NEVER CONSIDERED MOVING TO MEXICO...EVER!!!
Before you jump to conclusions please review the facts and don't react to rumor!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice View Post
I didn't say they are moving ALL production? Maybe you had a bad day.

maurice
And you're thinking I'm having a bad day because???

I very politely corrected your misguided assumptions and incorrectly stated rumor by emphasizing that Victory isn't moving any of it's production to Mexico...at all. None, Nada, zip, zilch. And even though Polaris is moving there, they are only moving some of their production.

But since you brought it up, next time you might want to check your facts a little closer before you help spread a false rumor, especially one that is over a year old

If your wondering why I am being such a smart aleck then look at what shooter and albradburn posted. People accept and act on what is posted on the INTERNET as fact. That's why I never post a rumor and why I felt I needed to bold and increase the font in my opening statement.

For example, (no offense intended) I didn't trust the information posted in the thread talking about Harley closing their wheel production in Australia until I found it on a reputable site (in that case an Australian news website). Even though you would think Motorcycle.com would be a reputable site, here is a link to their report about Polaris' move to Mexico Victory Motorcycles Outsourcing to Mexico? The writer accepted rumor at face value and ended up printing a clarification. PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE INCLUDING WHERE POLARIS CLARIFIED THEY ARE NOT MOVING VICTORY PRODUCTION TO MEXICO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Problem is finding a workforce in Nevada that rivals Mexico. It's way easier to find workers south of the border.

That said, there are other US states that would be better examples than NV, and arguably would fit the requirement posed. I honestly think the reason was costs and the "being closer to our customer base" while cost-influenced is not the whole story.
I picked Nevada because I was stationed there and know it more than any other state in that section of the country. The biggest thing Nevada has going for it that I know of is there isn't a state income tax. Rather a lot of the state income comes from the gaming industry.

I didn't personally check into business rules but I would think there would be incentives for moving your business there. If I remember correctly, car and renters insurance were cheaper there than most places I've been. Also Amazon opened a 750,000-square-foot order fulfillment center outside of Fernley in 1999. With no major natural disasters and easy access to both I-80 and a rail system it looked like a great place to me. But like I said, I'm not a business tycoon And yes I understand Mexican workers are cheaper than American workers, it would still be nice if we could keep more jobs here, even if it means a slightly higher purchase price.

2014 Indian Chieftain

Last edited by Goatlocker95; 12-12-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Added Note to Motorcycle.com article link
Goatlocker95 is offline  
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Senior Member
 
BanditSRT8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice View Post
I didn't say they are moving ALL production? Maybe you had a bad day.

maurice


Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice View Post
I assume most of you heard they are opening a plant in Mexico, not to build the engine which is built or going to be in Iowa, but for some other reason. Maybe make everything but the engine. Anyone know what's up with this, and how do you feel about it. Curious.

maurice

Oh no, I can't imagine where he got that from, the confusion was apparently ALL on him.

2012 HD Road Glide Custom - Black denim
BanditSRT8 is offline  
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Highrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 108
Default

Nevada WOULD be a great State to manufacture Polaris equipment, The wages here aren't that much worse than many low wager states, especially with 15% unemployment in Las Vegas, it does not have any state income tax,is on major rail, air and freeway lines, housing is cheap, and warehouse / commercial space is wide open with many locations newly built and empty.

The State desparately wants to attract business other than construction and gaming. How about the CEO of Polaris contact the Nevada Governor Sandaval to see what they can do.

I too bought my Jackpot BECAUSE it is MORE AMERICAN than Harley, move to Mexico and become a Global Company???? How about raising the currency of Mexico and China, better yet add tariffs to their cheap goods.

This past weekend I bought a boys bicycle ($42.00) and a girls bicycle ($48.00) for a toy run, they were small mind you but HOW MUCH??? Made in China. ( Walmart)

I also purchased a 46" HD TV at Walmart $428.00 Element Brand

Good deal for me, but this is wrong.

Sadly America is is deep decline with no leadership to get us out, hopefully a few companies like Polaris stay true, but we will see.

I will send an email to the Governor.

We could export some hookers to China maybe.
Highrider is offline  
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
half_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 4,858
Default

I recently saw an add for line workers needed at the Victory plant. Certified/experienced welders were starting at like $14.00/Hr. Welders get paid twice that where I live.

2006 Victory Kingpin
Lloydz 116" Stroker/Big Bore, .495 Cams, Torque Tubes Airbox,
RPW Thor Pipe, Lloydz ECU Flash, PC-III, PTS (-2), Rivera
Primo Clutch Spring, 31 Tooth Pulley w/Buell Belt.
half_crazy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome