Engine knock on start up - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Posts: 15
Default Engine knock on start up

I have had my XCT for about 3 1/2 weeks now and just took it in for the first 500 mile service yesterday. This morning when I started it, I heard a knock for about 2 seconds then it smoothed out. After that it ran fine and started without any noise. This is the reason I got rid of my HD because of bad lifters and all the valve train problems they have. Anyone experience this? I'm hoping it was a one off occurrance. I am waiting until tomorrow to re-crank it in hopes it won't do it again. Any help would be appreciated.
cnail1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Bad V V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 755
Default

I'm not a mechannic but I'm guessing it's normal since all the oil drains to the oil pan while the bike is parked over night. My bike makes the same noise when I first start it in the morning or after being parked for a few days. And my bike is 2003.
I wouldn't worry about it.

2003 Victory vegas
Bad V V is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cistern,TX
Posts: 38
Default

I have a little over 2000 miles on mine and it has done it 3 or 4 times. Just the oil draining down out of lifter. Clears up withing a sec or two. Nothing like the last few Harleys I had. I am going to change the oil one more time with Victory oil and then switch it over to Amsoil and see what happens. Start it up and ride it.

2012 Cross Country Tour the white one
1958 Cushman Eagle
1959 Cushman Eagle
2009 Softail Custom (son's motorsickle)
Amsoil dealer
ldschultz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
busajack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: cheyenne
Posts: 774
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldschultz View Post
I have a little over 2000 miles on mine and it has done it 3 or 4 times. Just the oil draining down out of lifter. Clears up withing a sec or two. Nothing like the last few Harleys I had. I am going to change the oil one more time with Victory oil and then switch it over to Amsoil and see what happens. Start it up and ride it.
Dam did you pay more for a Vic. with lifters. Mine doesn't have any.

I have to grow old but I don't have to grow UP.thumb up. 2010 Jackpot.
busajack is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
 
vindex1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 4,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busajack View Post
Dam did you pay more for a Vic. with lifters. Mine doesn't have any.
No push rods but hydraulic lifters.
Your motor is truly unique.

2015 Cross Country (bought new 7/11/15)
2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (bought new 4/26/17)
2006 Triumph Rocket III Classic
1/4 turn throttle ring
Tank riser
VM-1 DR cams
Timing wheel +4
Lloydz high-flow air cleaner
Bassani baffled OEM mufflers
PC-V 118hp 116tq
If it's not broke, make it better

Last edited by vindex1963; 03-24-2012 at 11:23 AM.
vindex1963 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 12,947
Default

Your saying "knock" or do you mean tick?
Are you revving the motor as it is warming up or what? Its a no no to do.
If you get a tick it is from the hydraulic chain adjuster. Yes in some bikes it happens and in time just might go away for good.
Your bike is new so every thing has to seat and break in. Give it time and you'll love it more then you do now.

2008 Vision
Mpls, MN.

Please add your state and model of bike you have. Click user CP @ top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionjohnny View Post
Your saying "knock" or do you mean tick?
Are you revving the motor as it is warming up or what? Its a no no to do.
If you get a tick it is from the hydraulic chain adjuster. Yes in some bikes it happens and in time just might go away for good.
Your bike is new so every thing has to seat and break in. Give it time and you'll love it more then you do now.
I suppose it's more of a tick, but it only has happened the one time. I cranked it today with no issues. Of course I rode for a few hours today. This thing is far more superior than my former HD ultra classic.
cnail1 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
BBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW AZ
Posts: 12,825
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindex1963 View Post
No push rods but hydraulic lifters.
Your motor is truly unique.
There are some tiny rocker arm mounted hydraulic lifters. Otherwise they would be solid and tap much more than they occasionally do now.

Plus the cam chain hydraulic lifter/adjuster.
BBob is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Site Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 275
Default

As it just started with your oil change, it is quite possible that the Anti Drain-Back valve is weak, non-functioning or if a cheap filter was used, it could be non-exhistent.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isnít cheap
Cheap isnít The Best


Bob

Your AMSOIL Factory Connection Dealer Group offers special prices for Forum members and products are shipped from the closest AMSOIL warehouse.

For more info [email protected] or call Toll Free 1-877-356-6099.
Amsoil Dealer Group is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post
As it just started with your oil change, it is quite possible that the Anti Drain-Back valve is weak, non-functioning or if a cheap filter was used, it could be non-exhistent.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isnít cheap
Cheap isnít The Best


Bob
Where is the anti-drain-back valve located? In the filter since it started at the oil change?
cnail1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome