Just wanted to check in and give a report on my DGD installation. I'm happy to report that it works great, but the install was a little bumpier than I expected. I'm not a pro mechanic, so the bumps are quite possibly self inflicted
First, a comment for the DGD folks -- I thought it was odd that the leads from the DGD unit weren't really long enough for either a headlight bucket installation, or cheese wedge side installation. In my opinion, you should either make the ignition cord a little longer (about 3-4" would probably do it), or make the control wires longer. I ended up taking ALStensby's advice and installed the unit behind my left side wedge, but I had to make an extension for the wires that went up to the bucket to hook to the control switch. I also took the advice to use the battery ground, which made sense because I was locating the unit behind the wedge. The ground connector wasn't quite long enough the way I routed it from the wedge over to the battery, so I also had to extend it. These two items are where most of my problems came in -- I didn't have any wire hanging around, so I had to run to the store a couple times to pick up wire, and then more butt-connectors for the extra splices.
When I first started into the project I wanted to do most of the install in the bucket -- all the connections are there and it leaves you with less dangling cables to worry about. But in the end, I couldn't determine the best ground location in the bucket, and even with careful routing of the ignition connector down beneath the tank, the cable was stretching to much when I turned the bars to the right.
Now the DGD unit sits happily inside the cage behind the left side wedge, with all of the extra cables zip-tied together into a small bundle. I still need to get some double-sided tape to secure the unit to the cage, but after that I don't expect to have any problems with it. (Fingers crossed!)
And BTW, it's totally bad-a$$ to be able to walk up to your bike and just flip the kill switch, start her up, and ride away.