Fuel Mileage vs. Engine RPM - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
82crawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 50
Default Fuel Mileage vs. Engine RPM

I haven't ridden long enough journeys to be able to tell, thought y'all could give me some input.

Lots of the highways we cruise on here in TX are limited to 60mph, what gear should I run to achieve the best mileage? My instinct (from driving my diesel truck everywhere) is to keep the RPMs as low as possible for the best possible mileage.

@ 60 mph:

4th - 2900 rpm
5th - 2400 rpm
6th - 2100 rpm

2012 Vegas 8-Ball
82crawler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82crawler View Post
I haven't ridden long enough journeys to be able to tell, thought y'all could give me some input.

Lots of the highways we cruise on here in TX are limited to 60mph, what gear should I run to achieve the best mileage? My instinct (from driving my diesel truck everywhere) is to keep the RPMs as low as possible for the best possible mileage.

@ 60 mph:

4th - 2900 rpm
5th - 2400 rpm
6th - 2100 rpm
I really haven't noticed any difference between 5th and 6th gear at 60mph on my Vision. It gets right about 45 mpg.

2012 Vision Tour
Oklahoma City, Ok.
atom bomb mod
ATS +4
A-dog is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Junior Member
 
Madfoxx22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Simpson IL.
Posts: 26
Default

My 09 Kingpin seems to be lugging at 60 in sixth but my fuel mileage doesn't really change whether I'm in 5th or 6th. I kick it up to 65 mph and use 6th. The cops will usually give you 5 mph!

2009 Kingpin Tour Stage 1, Power Commander.
Madfoxx22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Marius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Metairie, near New Orleans
Posts: 566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-dog View Post
I really haven't noticed any difference between 5th and 6th gear at 60mph on my Vision. It gets right about 45 mpg.
Wow! 45mpg for a vision is pretty darn good! Impressive...

Generally lower rpm is better, but it gets to the point where as rpms drop, engine load becomes too high and it begins to strugle and with efi that means the computer adds fuel, which will hurt gas milege. Most every manufacturer tells you what the most efficient rpm of an engine is. Maybe it's in your bikes manual somewhere?!


as an aside note: I feel lucky that our cops are so lenient. You can pretty much go 10 over just about anywhere in my area and cops will not mess with you (typically). More than 10 over and you're playing with fire.

2007 Victory Hammer (Nuclear Sunset)
2012 Vstrom Adventure 650
2006 Suzuki M50 (Black) - Traded
1995 Mustang GT... Work in Progress...

Last edited by Marius; 07-26-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Marius is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
half_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 4,866
Default

I get better mileage if I keep the rpms up some. I never use 6th until 65 mph.

I'm with Madfoxx22. I'd run 65 in 6th and take my chances...

2006 Victory Kingpin
Lloydz 116" Stroker/Big Bore, .495 Cams, Torque Tubes Airbox,
RPW Thor Pipe, Lloydz ECU Flash, PC-III, PTS (-2), Rivera
Primo Clutch Spring, 31 Tooth Pulley w/Buell Belt.
half_crazy is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
kevinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: At Southern Motorworx. High Springs Fl
Posts: 2,646
Default

Sweet spot seems to be around 2300

I'm not an asshole...I just type that way
Check us out at Southern Motorworx on FaceBook
https://www.facebook.com/home.php
http://www.southernmotorworx.com/index.html
kevinx is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
82crawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 50
Default

Well, 60mph is just an example... I suppose I'm really just wondering what the "sweet spot" for engine RPM is at any speed. I of all people abuse the speed limits more than I care to admit, but I actually ride slower on my bike than I do in my truck.

2300 it is!

BTW I'm averaging 44mpg with mostly city driving and keeping the RPMs down.

2012 Vegas 8-Ball
82crawler is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
navycraig's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 562
Default

I don't pay much attention to mileage right now, but if I'm shifting, it's at 2500 or higher...depending on circumstances. If I'm crusing, 23-2400. It just feels right.

God Bless America
U.S. Navy Retired
2012 Victory Crossroads Classic L.E. (#258)
PC V and Dyno tuned by Kyle of KMC
Lloydz High Flow Filter
Lloydz Timing Wheel
Lloydz Drop In Cams
Lloydz 1/4 Turn Throttle
Crossroads HID high/low lights
Making 113 HP and 115 TQ
navycraig is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
gibson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North east Indiana
Posts: 1,181
Default

51.5 at 55 in 6th

2012 Fireball Jackpot
gibson is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius View Post
Wow! 45mpg for a vision is pretty darn good! Impressive...

Generally lower rpm is better, but it gets to the point where as rpms drop, engine load becomes too high and it begins to strugle and with efi that means the computer adds fuel, which will hurt gas milege. Most every manufacturer tells you what the most efficient rpm of an engine is. Maybe it's in your bikes manual somewhere?!


as an aside note: I feel lucky that our cops are so lenient. You can pretty much go 10 over just about anywhere in my area and cops will not mess with you (typically). More than 10 over and you're playing with fire.
Maybe it could have something to do with my using 100% gasoline. We have it all over here in OKC.

2012 Vision Tour
Oklahoma City, Ok.
atom bomb mod
ATS +4

Last edited by A-dog; 07-27-2012 at 03:41 PM.
A-dog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome