2012 XCT - Intermittent Problem with ABS - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hendersonville, NC in summers and The Villages, FL in winters
Posts: 1,442
Default 2012 XCT - Intermittent Problem with ABS

I have a 2012 XCT that has given me no problem with the ABS until a recent trip. I got on the bike in the morning, started it, and the ABS light came on like it always does. Normally, it shuts off as soon as I get moving - the manual says the light shuts off at 6 mph and the ABS is then working. That morning, the ABS light stayed on. The morning was cool (~53 F) but dry. An hour later, I turned the bike off and on again (at the key) and when I took off the ABS light went out like normal. Hmm, weird glitch?

Later in the day after riding in the rain for a while, the ABS light came back on. This time turning the bike off and on again at the key did not fix the light problem. Then a couple hours later, after a stop with the bike turned off, the ABS light went out. Then again an hour later, while riding, the ABS light came back on.

Two days later, the ABS light works normally - comes on when bike is started and goes off when reaching 6 mph.

Note that this probelm first occurred in dry conditions and then repeated in rainy conditions. Has anyone else experienced this sort of intermittent problem with the ABS light/system? What was the resolution?

Is it correct that any trouble codes related to the ABS are NOT stored in the normal trouble code "place" and cannot be displayed in the manner of other trouble codes? Rather, a special computer (Victory calls this something like digital technician) must be used to access the ABS trouble codes.

Thanks and G'day,

Vinish
Vinish is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 12,947
Default

wonder if there is a bad wire down by the breaks. Or even a bad sensor.

2008 Vision
Mpls, MN.

Please add your state and model of bike you have. Click user CP @ top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinish View Post
I have a 2012 XCT that has given me no problem with the ABS until a recent trip. I got on the bike in the morning, started it, and the ABS light came on like it always does. Normally, it shuts off as soon as I get moving - the manual says the light shuts off at 6 mph and the ABS is then working. That morning, the ABS light stayed on. The morning was cool (~53 F) but dry. An hour later, I turned the bike off and on again (at the key) and when I took off the ABS light went out like normal. Hmm, weird glitch?

Later in the day after riding in the rain for a while, the ABS light came back on. This time turning the bike off and on again at the key did not fix the light problem. Then a couple hours later, after a stop with the bike turned off, the ABS light went out. Then again an hour later, while riding, the ABS light came back on.

Two days later, the ABS light works normally - comes on when bike is started and goes off when reaching 6 mph.

Note that this probelm first occurred in dry conditions and then repeated in rainy conditions. Has anyone else experienced this sort of intermittent problem with the ABS light/system? What was the resolution?

Is it correct that any trouble codes related to the ABS are NOT stored in the normal trouble code "place" and cannot be displayed in the manner of other trouble codes? Rather, a special computer (Victory calls this something like digital technician) must be used to access the ABS trouble codes.

Thanks and G'day,

Vinish
My half educated theory is that you have some contact corrosion in one of the wiring connectors. I've been packing mine with electrolytic grease as I encounter them to keep moisture out. All of them. Especially the ones down in front of the crank case.
I bought my bike used in 'Vegas and live in Utah so moisture hasn't been much of an issue for it. Hopefully I'm ahead of the problem.
MMGUT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hendersonville, NC in summers and The Villages, FL in winters
Posts: 1,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMGUT View Post
My half educated theory is that you have some contact corrosion in one of the wiring connectors. I've been packing mine with electrolytic grease as I encounter them to keep moisture out. All of them. Especially the ones down in front of the crank case.
I bought my bike used in 'Vegas and live in Utah so moisture hasn't been much of an issue for it. Hopefully I'm ahead of the problem.
Are you talking about wiring connectors for the two wheel speed sensor wires or some other wires?

G'day,

Vinish
Vinish is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 05:03 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
dentdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: south fl
Posts: 397
Default

I was having the same intermittent problem with my 2012 XCT , cleaned all the connection and still nothing . Instead of taking it to the dealer and wait two weeks I took a chance and bought a ABS sensor from partsland.com and put it in and the lights off. As far as I know the sensor is the same for the front and rear, with a new sensor you will need to check the air gap between the sensor and the trigger wheel.

I also know if the light is on there is no ABS , the brakes will still work just with out the ABS . I did not have to reset anything as once I rode the bike a few miles the lights been off. My bike is under warranty till 2017 but we don't seem to have the best guys in the shops down here so I tend to stay away from the dealer and do my own wrenching. Of course I do have Conquest Customs about 20 minutes away if I need something done.

David
www.dentdave.com
2012 Cross Country Tour
IBA # 33520 - 1040 in 24, 04 / 2008
1036 in 24, 10 / 2014
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55/16
dentdave is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hendersonville, NC in summers and The Villages, FL in winters
Posts: 1,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentdave View Post
I was having the same intermittent problem with my 2012 XCT , cleaned all the connection and still nothing . Instead of taking it to the dealer and wait two weeks I took a chance and bought a ABS sensor from partsland.com and put it in and the lights off. As far as I know the sensor is the same for the front and rear, with a new sensor you will need to check the air gap between the sensor and the trigger wheel.

I also know if the light is on there is no ABS , the brakes will still work just with out the ABS . I did not have to reset anything as once I rode the bike a few miles the lights been off. My bike is under warranty till 2017 but we don't seem to have the best guys in the shops down here so I tend to stay away from the dealer and do my own wrenching. Of course I do have Conquest Customs about 20 minutes away if I need something done.
Did you replace the wheel speed sensor on the front or rear wheel and how did you know which one to replace or did you just guess?

G'day,

Vinish
Vinish is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 05:09 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
depot picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Somewhere. Wherever.
Posts: 2,305
Default

Mine did that for quite a while. I replaced the sensors but it still came on almost all the time. Adjusting the gaps fixed it for good. The gaps needed to be at the wide end of the spec.
depot picker is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 06:31 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
dentdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: south fl
Posts: 397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinish View Post
Did you replace the wheel speed sensor on the front or rear wheel and how did you know which one to replace or did you just guess?

G'day,

Vinish
Yes its the sensor on the front wheel with the black wire running up the brake line into the fairing.

I didn't know which one was bad , just figured I'd start with the easier one. If that didn't work I would have just changed it with the rear one. I'm pretty sure there the same but the rear one takes a bit more time to do. If you order one order the air gap spacers also unless you already have three , mine only had 2 and I was able to use them again.

David
www.dentdave.com
2012 Cross Country Tour
IBA # 33520 - 1040 in 24, 04 / 2008
1036 in 24, 10 / 2014
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55/16
dentdave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome