Warped front rotors - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
bfp
Senior Member
 
bfp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So.cal
Posts: 472
Garage
Default Warped front rotors

Changed my front tire today, and now my front rotors are warped. Don't understand how that happened. Anybody got any ideas. They are so bad it'll hardly roll. What happened?

2010 cross roads Custom
2015 Ness Magnum
2016 Magnum X1 Custom
2013 Vision Custom
bfp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buckeye, Az.
Posts: 1,425

Maybe when you installed the caliper back onto the rotor possibly one of the pads possibly was not setting in the caliper correctly. It would then possibly rub constantly because it would not set back into the caliper correctly.Just an idea.
Speedblue is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
bfp
Senior Member
 
bfp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So.cal
Posts: 472
Garage
Default

Speedblue, I am puzzled, the left side inside of the caliper is dragging on the rotor! I put a washer between the caliper, and the fork, and it will roll now. Something happened. No washers or shims on the floor. I don't get it. It looks like I could use some pads.

2010 cross roads Custom
2015 Ness Magnum
2016 Magnum X1 Custom
2013 Vision Custom
bfp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 04:59 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfp View Post
Speedblue, I am puzzled, the left side inside of the caliper is dragging on the rotor! I put a washer between the caliper, and the fork, and it will roll now. Something happened. No washers or shims on the floor. I don't get it. It looks like I could use some pads.
Brake pads always drag a little. There is nothing that forces them away from the rotor when you let off the brake. Maybe one of the pistons in the left side is just stuck.

You can pull the wheel and pry the pads apart manually. You can then pop off the pads and put some grease on the pistons. Sounds like you need to put new pads on it anyway.

Afterwards, make sure you squeeze the brake lever enough until the brake feel comes back before you head out on a test ride.




https://www.victoryforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic6903_1.gif
2011 Cross Roads
saddlebag is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
bfp
Senior Member
 
bfp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So.cal
Posts: 472
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Brake pads always drag a little. There is nothing that forces them away from the rotor when you let off the brake. Maybe one of the pistons in the left side is just stuck.

You can pull the wheel and pry the pads apart manually. You can then pop off the pads and put some grease on the pistons. Sounds like you need to put new pads on it anyway.

Afterwards, make sure you squeeze the brake lever enough until the brake feel comes back before you head out on a test ride.
Saddle, after longer inspection the rotor isn't warped at all, the caliper was dragging on the rotor. I shimmed it in .025 that mostly fixed it, but that doesn't explain why this happened. I had no shims, or spacers in there before. Why does it need it now? Do the pistons on the inside move too?

2010 cross roads Custom
2015 Ness Magnum
2016 Magnum X1 Custom
2013 Vision Custom
bfp is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfp View Post
Saddle, after longer inspection the rotor isn't warped at all, the caliper was dragging on the rotor. I shimmed it in .025 that mostly fixed it, but that doesn't explain why this happened. I had no shims, or spacers in there before. Why does it need it now? Do the pistons on the inside move too?
When you press the brake, the pistons squeeze the pads against the rotors. When you remove pressure, they have no pressure to cause braking, but they just kind of sit there and they will always drag a little. Occasionally, you need to grease those pistons up a little to keep them moving smoothly. Just make sure you don't get any on the brake pads.

I don't understand what it is that you shimmed? Did you put something behind the pad? If so, that would press it in closer to the rotors, no?




https://www.victoryforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic6903_1.gif
2011 Cross Roads
saddlebag is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
bfp
Senior Member
 
bfp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So.cal
Posts: 472
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
When you press the brake, the pistons squeeze the pads against the rotors. When you remove pressure, they have no pressure to cause braking, but they just kind of sit there and they will always drag a little. Occasionally, you need to grease those pistons up a little to keep them moving smoothly. Just make sure you don't get any on the brake pads.

I don't understand what it is that you shimmed? Did you put something behind the pad? If so, that would press it in closer to the rotors, no?
I had to shim the caliper inward away from the fork, to get the caliper from dragging on the rotor, not the pads, the caliper was dragging, hard, could barely roll the wheel

2010 cross roads Custom
2015 Ness Magnum
2016 Magnum X1 Custom
2013 Vision Custom
bfp is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
BBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NW AZ
Posts: 12,917
Garage
Default

Saddlebag is exactly correct. This is not as uncommon as you might think. Pull the pads, pump out the pistons just a little, not enough for them to come out completely, spray and clean with brake cleaner, maybe use some HIGH TEMP grease but only a very thin layer, and press the pistons back in. Put everything else back together or install your new pads, pump up the brake till you get resistance, and let us know if this worked for you.
BBob is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
bfp
Senior Member
 
bfp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So.cal
Posts: 472
Garage
Default

Bob, I'm not talking about the pads dragging, I'm talking I shimmed the caliper in , now .087 to get the caliper away from the rotor it wasn't inboard far enough with the pads thin, it was grinding on the rotor. Literally metal transfer onto the caliper! I fixed it by shimming, going to get pads in a half hour or so.

2010 cross roads Custom
2015 Ness Magnum
2016 Magnum X1 Custom
2013 Vision Custom
bfp is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Senior Member
 
sixshooter_45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 530
Garage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfp View Post
Changed my front tire today, and now my front rotors are warped. Don't understand how that happened. Anybody got any ideas. They are so bad it'll hardly roll. What happened?
Not enough information, but it sounds as though something went wrong with your re-assembly.

If you didn't have this problem prior to changing the front tire then I would retrace my installation steps.
sixshooter_45 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome