Drill holes in the airbox? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 80
Default Drill holes in the airbox?

My Vegas has the Stage 1 kit. The airbox has intake mesh on the left cover (the part that you remove to get to the (K&N) filter cartridge.
Can I (and should I) drill holes on the right hand side of the airbox (obviously in the front section, before the air passes through the filter element)? Would there be any benefit, or even more important, any risk or detriment to doing this? Don't want to screw up the reliability as the bike's already running just fine...
Thoughts? Here's a pic of the airbox....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00237-20110904-1718.jpg (36.0 KB, 26 views)

2003 Vegas, Billet Wheels , Drag Bars, Stage 1
vegaslad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,947
Default

Since drilling holes would allow a higher air volume to flow through, possibly getting your bike a tad too lean, one question persists in my mind: Do you have a fuel controller in place, or are you willing to add one once the holes are drilled?

Aside from that aspect, the holes can't be too bad of an idea. Make sure you drill holes at the bottom as well, in case any moisture gets it, so it can drip out at the bottom. Speaking of moisture, you'll have to be extra careful when you wash the bike if holes are drilled. Water will be your worst enemy.

Also, you might want to consider an aftermarket air intake all together (ie. S&S).

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2016 Springfield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Last edited by CrossRoads; 09-04-2011 at 07:08 PM.
CrossRoads is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
kevinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: At Southern Motorworx. High Springs Fl
Posts: 2,646
Default

Leave the right side of the box alone. Pull the horn and drill two 7/8 holes in the flat between the frame rails

I'm not an asshole...I just type that way
Check us out at Southern Motorworx on FaceBook
https://www.facebook.com/home.php
http://www.southernmotorworx.com/index.html
kevinx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 04:48 AM
Senior Member
 
EDHARRISON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Surrey UK
Posts: 142
Garage
Default

Kevin - would this also benefit a 2009 100ci with stage 1?

thanks

Victory Vegas 8 Ball 2009 (5 speed 100ci)

Stage 1 with Swept black exhaust / Ness bars / Lowered
EDHARRISON is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
kevinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: At Southern Motorworx. High Springs Fl
Posts: 2,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDHARRISON View Post
Kevin - would this also benefit a 2009 100ci with stage 1?

thanks
09 box already has large opening there

I'm not an asshole...I just type that way
Check us out at Southern Motorworx on FaceBook
https://www.facebook.com/home.php
http://www.southernmotorworx.com/index.html
kevinx is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Senior Member
 
EDHARRISON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Surrey UK
Posts: 142
Garage
Default

Thanks Kevin

Victory Vegas 8 Ball 2009 (5 speed 100ci)

Stage 1 with Swept black exhaust / Ness bars / Lowered
EDHARRISON is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
Since drilling holes would allow a higher air volume to flow through, possibly getting your bike a tad too lean, one question persists in my mind: Do you have a fuel controller in place, or are you willing to add one once the holes are drilled?

Aside from that aspect, the holes can't be too bad of an idea. Make sure you drill holes at the bottom as well, in case any moisture gets it, so it can drip out at the bottom. Speaking of moisture, you'll have to be extra careful when you wash the bike if holes are drilled. Water will be your worst enemy.

Also, you might want to consider an aftermarket air intake all together (ie. S&S).
Thanks Crossroads; not sure if the conversion included a fuel controller - how can I tell?
Kevin, noted your comments about the 7/8th dia holes...thanks. Is there a reason for that specific diameter? Just wondering....

2003 Vegas, Billet Wheels , Drag Bars, Stage 1

Last edited by vegaslad; 09-05-2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: grammar
vegaslad is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
kevinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: At Southern Motorworx. High Springs Fl
Posts: 2,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaslad View Post
Thanks Crossroads; not sure if the conversion included a fuel controller - how can I tell?
Kevin, noted your comments about the 7/8th dia holes...thanks. Is there a reason for that specific diameter? Just wondering....
One real good reason. It fits!! As for mixture. You can get away without any changes.

I'm not an asshole...I just type that way
Check us out at Southern Motorworx on FaceBook
https://www.facebook.com/home.php
http://www.southernmotorworx.com/index.html
kevinx is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 80
Default Airbox update!

So I went to drill the front of the airbox. Removed the horn, thought...."hmmm, I'll take off the side cover and check from the inside" (facing front of the bike)...and there's already a 2 inches square hole, right behind the horn! No need for more holes, me thinks.
So, I put away the drill, refitted the horn and away we go....maybe already an upgraded airbox?

2003 Vegas, Billet Wheels , Drag Bars, Stage 1
vegaslad is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 07:08 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaslad View Post
So I went to drill the front of the airbox. Removed the horn, thought...."hmmm, I'll take off the side cover and check from the inside" (facing front of the bike)...and there's already a 2 inches square hole, right behind the horn! No need for more holes, me thinks.
So, I put away the drill, refitted the horn and away we go....maybe already an upgraded airbox?
I think they're all like that.
TrashmanNYC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome