'99 V92C Tank Volume - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
FEF
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The Portland OR. Area
Posts: 29
Default '99 V92C Tank Volume

I'm getting about 100 miles a tank on my '99 V92C. I'd like to get 150-200.

Do any of the other Victory bikes have a taller tank that will fit the '99 mounts? There's still a bit of room in the front near the head. I can modify the front mount if it's even close. I know it's a long shot, but it's a question worth asking (in my opinion).

The alternative is to make a fuel tank in the bottom of custom saddle bags. It's been done on adventure-touring bikes with very good results. However, the trick is to make some panniers that look good on a cruiser, and that may be tricky.

I've not been touring on bikes like these.... Yet. Is there a common way of dealing with the shorter range?

- '99 V92C Victory
- '75 Z1 Kawasaki (Bone Stock)
- '76 KZ900 Kawasaki (ex-SuperBike)
- '72 Honda 350 Scrambler
FEF is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 01:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: southern Iowa
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEF View Post
I'm getting about 100 miles a tank on my '99 V92C. I'd like to get 150-200.

Do any of the other Victory bikes have a taller tank that will fit the '99 mounts? There's still a bit of room in the front near the head. I can modify the front mount if it's even close. I know it's a long shot, but it's a question worth asking (in my opinion).

The alternative is to make a fuel tank in the bottom of custom saddle bags. It's been done on adventure-touring bikes with very good results. However, the trick is to make some panniers that look good on a cruiser, and that may be tricky.

I've not been touring on bikes like these.... Yet. Is there a common way of dealing with the shorter range?
Im thinking you may have an issue.

I also have a 1999 V92.

I get about 140 to 150 miles before the low fuel light comes on.....at that point I still have 1 gal left.

Are you running REALLY rich?

Also as far as V92 tanks go.....the 99 is a one year tank. They changed them in 2000.....and then again in 2002 when they went to internal fuel pumps.

Last edited by aaronrkelly; 06-12-2014 at 01:31 AM.
aaronrkelly is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 06:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Atbyrne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: corydon, in
Posts: 812
Garage
Default

I have a 99 that has a slightly build motor with a newer transmision in it and I have added the back part of a TC on it an HD fairing and get right at about 150 per tank. you are either not getting it full or are super rich.

2011 Cross Country
PCV with Vic filter
Witchdoctors Muscle Mufflers
Painted inner fairing
Magnum 21" Wheel and Fender
Custom mounted CVO Tour Pak
Vicbaggers Bars, speaker grills,
and bezels
Atbyrne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
FEF
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The Portland OR. Area
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atbyrne View Post
I have a 99 that has a slightly build motor with a newer transmision in it and I have added the back part of a TC on it an HD fairing and get right at about 150 per tank. you are either not getting it full or are super rich.
I don't deny the possibility that I'm not filling it full. This bike has a block-off in it that my other bikes don't have. I've already felt the need for a plate that holds back the boot on the handle... I'll have to get one.

However, the last time I filled, I put in 3.5g and the light was bouncing on and off. It's not running rich, but it is possible it's not running efficiently. I've only had this bike a few weeks, and after frying all the small ground wires while trying to start it (see my thread in the V92 section), I'm going over the whole bike. I'm sure it will run better after the timing chain, drive belt, filters, oil, and all, are checked and/or replaced.

It's good to know that someone's getting 140-150 before "reserve". That should get me through the southwest and parts of Canada just fine. It's also good to know that a full-dress bike gets not less then 150/tank. I'm playing with the idea of trying to mound a Don Vesco Rabbid Transit fairing in the bike. It's very nice but not considered light, and may lead to springs with a higher spring rate up front. But, that's another topic, altogether.

This isn't exploration or expedition range, but should be acceptable for a road machine. Thanks very much for the help.

- '99 V92C Victory
- '75 Z1 Kawasaki (Bone Stock)
- '76 KZ900 Kawasaki (ex-SuperBike)
- '72 Honda 350 Scrambler
FEF is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 12,947
Default

To get a full tank of gas you have to put it in real slow.
Have you ever cleaner the throttle body's.
The timing chain is self adjusting so there is nothing you can do to it.
Yes replace fuel filter might help you

2008 Vision
Mpls, MN.

Please add your state and model of bike you have. Click user CP @ top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Try actually running it out of fuel. My 2000 had the low fuel light come on all the time at 100 - 110 miles. I used to call it the "half tank warning light"...
subdude17349 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
FEF
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The Portland OR. Area
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdude17349 View Post
Try actually running it out of fuel. My 2000 had the low fuel light come on all the time at 100 - 110 miles. I used to call it the "half tank warning light"...
I hadn't thought of that. That would give a definite answer to a few questions.

- '99 V92C Victory
- '75 Z1 Kawasaki (Bone Stock)
- '76 KZ900 Kawasaki (ex-SuperBike)
- '72 Honda 350 Scrambler
FEF is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome