So interesting issue came up for me the other day and any input would be appreciated.
Bike in question - 2008 Victory Vegas 12,000 miles
Issue - During ride engine light came on, later found headlight had blown out. Found voltage spiking at over 18V!!!
Voltage at idle is anywhere from 12-15V and spiking around 3500 RPM.
Dealer is nearly 40 miles away and I do not want to risk any additional damage at running such a high voltage.
As of now I am suspecting voltage regulator but I was reaching out to find out if there are any other techniques I could try to narrow it down a bit further.
The bike had set for nearly a year to what was suppose to be on a battery tender, room mate unplugged it and the battery was completely dead. Being as it had been 5 years I just decided to get a new battery instead of trying to resuscitate.
All connections have been cleaned and triple checked.
New battery - Duralast Gold/Powersport AGM battery ETX20L