Installing New Bars! Should I run wires/ cables internally? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 20
Default Installing New Bars! Should I run wires/ cables internally?

Installing new 1.5 drag bars on my '07 jackpot. They are predrilled for wires etc. Which wires and cables do you recommend be installed internally? Or which should be avoided? Thanks!
blueribbon1225 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Administrator
 
CrossRoads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA
Posts: 5,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueribbon1225 View Post
Installing new 1.5 drag bars on my '07 jackpot. They are predrilled for wires etc. Which wires and cables do you recommend be installed internally? Or which should be avoided? Thanks!
A good rule of thumb is to route the electrical wires through the bars, leaving your clutch cable outside. The brake line can be ran through the bars, but chances are you will not have enough room for it. Even if there is room for it, the line will likely need to be replaced with a longer line.

The clutch and brake (cable and line) are not that bad looking anyways. It's the electrical wires that lack the looks, and you would want hidden for that cleaner look.

Please add your bike's year and model to your signature. Here's why.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding: 2011 Cross Roads & 2016 Springfield
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
CrossRoads is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoads View Post
A good rule of thumb is to route the electrical wires through the bars, leaving your clutch cable outside. The brake line can be ran through the bars, but chances are you will not have enough room for it. Even if there is room for it, the line will likely need to be replaced with a longer line.

The clutch and brake (cable and line) are not that bad looking anyways. It's the electrical wires that lack the looks, and you would want hidden for that cleaner look.
Thanks for the info! Has anyone run their electrical wires through the bars on a jackpot? Just curious as to the difficulty of the job and how it looks when done. It looks like The length of my wires will be fine with the new bars, but it looks like I need to get into the headlight to get to the wires.
blueribbon1225 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 20
Default

I did another search of this forum for my original question and found some good info. My new bars are drilled for the wires towards the inside of the integrated riser. Does anyone have pics of their bike with similar holes and internal wiring? I'd like to see what the end result looks like.

Thanks!





https://www.victoryforums.com/showthr...braided+cables

Last edited by blueribbon1225; 02-20-2012 at 10:37 PM.
blueribbon1225 is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 307
Default

I installed 1.5 radius bars on my hammer well worth the work looks really clean without the wires showing here is a pic for you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (30.8 KB, 9 views)
hammer316 is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 307
Default

found another pic different view here ya go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (37.6 KB, 10 views)
hammer316 is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer316 View Post
I installed 1.5 radius bars on my hammer well worth the work looks really clean without the wires showing here is a pic for you
Looks awesome, thanks for the pics!! My bars are drilled so the wires will run through the inside of the integrated riser, Im concerned that it will look bad if the wires run over the display/speedo. Does this make sense? Also, did you have any issues with the wiring harness etc?

Last edited by blueribbon1225; 02-23-2012 at 12:28 PM.
blueribbon1225 is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 307
Default

Well i didnt like the wires running be side my tach and speedo so when i changed the bars i deceided to internal wire them.Was a bit of work for me because when i ran the wires through the bars then ran them through the oil light etc plate and put them into the head light bucket i found them to be really short so i ended up extentending them so i just plugged in the old soldering iron and went to work lol.After that it was fine dont know why they were so short but they were.Its not a hard job just take your time and you will get done and you will be glad you did.Good luck
hammer316 is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer316 View Post
Well i didnt like the wires running be side my tach and speedo so when i changed the bars i deceided to internal wire them.Was a bit of work for me because when i ran the wires through the bars then ran them through the oil light etc plate and put them into the head light bucket i found them to be really short so i ended up extentending them so i just plugged in the old soldering iron and went to work lol.After that it was fine dont know why they were so short but they were.Its not a hard job just take your time and you will get done and you will be glad you did.Good luck
So did you just drill a hole in the " oil light plate" to run the wires? Hard to see it in your pic. Ive got everything done at this point with the exception of the wires.
blueribbon1225 is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 307
Default

yes i drilled a hole above the middle lens so the wires come out of the bottom of the risers then into the hole you drilled in the plate and then into the bucket of the head light.
hammer316 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome