Ipod/radio battery drain? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Ace22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 118
Default Ipod/radio battery drain?

I have ready up on the battery issues some people have had, and have tightened all my connections. Brand new '11 Ness XC, trickled charged the battery overnight (due to length of time on show room floor). Played my Ipod Nano (which works great btw in saddlebag) in garage while cleaning.

Question is: how long can one listen to radio/Ipod only before full battery drain (bike not running)? I did for about an hour and a half, then battery went dead...couldn't even start the bike.

Does the bike (when running) charge the battery as well so I wouldn't have to worry about battery drain when riding? I am assuming the battery is charging the Ipod nano as well if I want to leave the nano in all the time.

Sorry for all the questions, will post pics of new ride when I get a chance. Any help is appreciated!
Ace22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Member
 
Utah Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saint George, Utah
Posts: 89
Default

This doesnt sound right to me. My ipod alone will play for about 12 hours on its own battery, so even if it were to be dead when plugged into the bike, I doubt the battery in the bike would drain even if it were left over night......sounds like the battery itself has some issues, or maybe a dead short somwhere in the wireing.

Victory to be announced soon
Utah Ed is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 AM
Member
 
Whitie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northbridge, MA
Posts: 56
Garage
Default

The XC does charge the Ipod. In other words, if you decided to never add another song to your Ipod, you'd never need to put your hands on it again!

BATMAN is a 2011 Cross Country with: Apes, Lloydz fuel controller, D&D pipes, high flow air filter, Victory low tinted flip windshield, Cross Roads thin seat, Heavy Metal Designz 2"-3" lowering kit from hmd520.com, skid plate from victorypolicemotorcycles.com, & H.I.D. headlight from xenonhidconversionkit.com. It's ALL black~chromeless~stealth... a.k.a.: complete MURDAH job!

As Henry Ford once famously said: "You can have any color as long as it's black."
Whitie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace22 View Post
I have ready up on the battery issues some people have had, and have tightened all my connections. Brand new '11 Ness XC, trickled charged the battery overnight (due to length of time on show room floor). Played my Ipod Nano (which works great btw in saddlebag) in garage while cleaning.

Question is: how long can one listen to radio/Ipod only before full battery drain (bike not running)? I did for about an hour and a half, then battery went dead...couldn't even start the bike.

Does the bike (when running) charge the battery as well so I wouldn't have to worry about battery drain when riding? I am assuming the battery is charging the Ipod nano as well if I want to leave the nano in all the time.

Sorry for all the questions, will post pics of new ride when I get a chance. Any help is appreciated!
I'd be interested in good answers to these questions as well. Particularly, I wonder if the iPod hookup is delivering a charge to the device when the ignition is in the 'off' position.

IOW: If I leave the device on the bike, will it drain the battery?

______________________________________
Hers: 2009 Suzuki C50SE - Cream and Green
His: 2012 Victory XCT - Big Red
Central Missouri
Emack76 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Ace22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 118
Default

I have an Ipod nano, and have found that if leaving it plugged in all the time is the best way. It does charge it while plugged in, but as soon as you turn the key off, it no longer charges or drains battery. This has made it a very trouble free way of rockin' down the highway!
Ace22 is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Ed View Post
This doesnt sound right to me. My ipod alone will play for about 12 hours on its own battery, so even if it were to be dead when plugged into the bike, I doubt the battery in the bike would drain even if it were left over night......sounds like the battery itself has some issues, or maybe a dead short somwhere in the wireing.
What you're forgetting is that he was running the radio and speakers which is a big power drain.
Bikendad is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 12,947
Default

Sounds like your bike battery might not be that good.

Put a good charge in it or drive it for 25 miles and stop by a batterys plus store and ask for a load check.

Now'll you know if the battery is any good

2008 Vision
Mpls, MN.

Please add your state and model of bike you have. Click user CP @ top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace22 View Post
I have an Ipod nano, and have found that if leaving it plugged in all the time is the best way. It does charge it while plugged in, but as soon as you turn the key off, it no longer charges or drains battery. This has made it a very trouble free way of rockin' down the highway!
Thanks Ace - that's just what I was looking for. Now if I could just find a way to automatically turn off the ipod when it's not recieving a charge... or to turn off if idle for x hours... Then I wouldn't have to touch it at all!

I agree, the op's battery shouldn't run down that quick...though running the tunes with the bike off probably isn't the best idea.

______________________________________
Hers: 2009 Suzuki C50SE - Cream and Green
His: 2012 Victory XCT - Big Red
Central Missouri
Emack76 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome