Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Steering Head Bearings

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  visionjohnny 
#1 ·
Who here has been doing their 15k maintenance on these. Any grease recommendations?

I saw a guy selling All Balls tapered bearings for our steering heads, anyone tried them?

I also read that Harley now uses sealed (i.e. maintenance free) SH bearings. Thoughts?

#2 ·
If I was doing this myself on my own bike I would remove the old bearings, clean them good and inspect them. If there's no wear stress on them I would re-pack them with high quality grease and re-use them. 15k miles on bearings is nothing if they haven't been damaged or contaminated. Lack of proper lubrication during initial assembly is one of the biggest causes of pre-mature bearing failure and I've seen some companies do this on purpose for 'planned obsolesence'. They get you in the shop and sell you service and parts that way.

#3 ·
SB, my 2011 FLTRU, Road Glide Ultra, was experiencing tank slapping steering oscillation at less than 3500 miles. It is one of the many reasons I am riding a Vision these days. In the 2011 model year the HD was nowhere near free of having steering head issues.

#5 ·
SB, in 2010 they said they were done with steering head issues. Believe what you want to but don't blame me for the outcome. Do you know how to tell they are lying? Their lips are moving.

#6 ·
All Balls is good bearing or if you have a bearing store in your town you could get a better quality bearing for wheels and steering. Just bring them you old one.
Use a lot of grease it wouldn't hurt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.