Just a Wannabe - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Kurbs
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 6
Default Just a Wannabe

I haven't owned a bike for about 15 years but I have been drooling over the Kingpin for quite some time. I have found a 2008 black and tan with 6300 miles on it that I really like the look of. Is there anything I should know before purchasing this bike......The seller is asking plenty for it but I think I'd rather pay too much for a premium bike that is the right color than purchase a bike that doesn't quite turn my crank to save a thousand $. Was there any improvements to the Kingpin that came after 2008? I might want to add a rear seat and cruise control.
4x4ord is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Senior Member
 
VicVisionBulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 483
Garage
Default

I wouldn't pay over what it is worth. Print out the KBB and use it to make a fair offer. No matter the color a KP is not a hard to find bike and recent events have not made them higher in value.

Also depending on how and where it was stored it will need some TLC. Only having 6300 miles means it has barely been ridden which means it has sat most of its life which is never good. All plastic and rubber parts need to be checked.

On my KP I had a BrakeAway mechanical cruise control that worked great.

https://www.brakeawayproducts.com/

VVB

13 Vision Tour - PCV, Top Filter, Stage 1 Pipes, TW @ +4, Metz 888s

08 Vision Street Premium - VFC, Top Filter, Stage 1 Level 2 Pipes, E4s

Past Vic - 07 KP Tour - Stage 1, S&S Intake

Last edited by VicVisionBulldog; 04-23-2017 at 07:19 PM.
VicVisionBulldog is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Kurbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
I haven't owned a bike for about 15 years but I have been drooling over the Kingpin for quite some time. I have found a 2008 black and tan with 6300 miles on it that I really like the look of. Is there anything I should know before purchasing this bike......The seller is asking plenty for it but I think I'd rather pay too much for a premium bike that is the right color than purchase a bike that doesn't quite turn my crank to save a thousand $. Was there any improvements to the Kingpin that came after 2008? I might want to add a rear seat and cruise control.
08-10 were somewhat of a transition stage. They all had the 100 CI engine and 6 speed trans prior to 2011.

They also made some changes that detuned the 100 ci engines for EPA purposes for those 3 years. Some parts will fit from the prior generation, some from the later one. Bit of an oddball. Nothing wrong with them at all, just a bit of transition era.

In 2011-12 the (last year being 2012) the Kingpin got the 106 CI engine and what Victory called the "100K" transmission which supposedly had some upgrade.

The frame and tins are pretty much the same from 2004-2012 with little variance on the side panel and exhaust I think.

Some argue the 2007 100 CI is the best of that prior generation because it is a very easy engine to upgrade and ran without the EPA crap on it.

I have the 2012, with the 106 and 'updated' transmission but to be honest I have not ridden an earlier bike yet where I could tell a difference in the gearbox. They all clunk.

If I were in the market now, knowing what I know I would grab a 2007, or a 2011-2012 if the engine is a consideration. I really love the 106, but you can see many who have tons of power in their 100 power plants.

Not sure where you are or how much this guy is asking, but my dealer has a 2012 pearl white and silver ( same as mine) with a hair over 4K on it for 7900.00. And he ships.

Not sure what other goodies he has on that bike either. Maybe post what extras the bike has and how much this cat is asking, may be easier to let folks know if its a decent deal or not. If you get a much better deal, a paint job is easy. 2 fenders the tank and the side panels.


BUT....I can guarantee...you WILL love the Kingpin. I've had them all and this bike is phenomenal in more ways than I can tell you. Good luck.

2012 Pin
Torque Tubes, VM-1 cams, PCV, Throttle ring, ATS

Last edited by Kurbs; 04-23-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Kurbs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 08:37 PM
Senior Member
 
MagVic CCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Magnolia, Texas
Posts: 141
Default

I've been helping a friend locate one and using searchtempest and looking out about five hundred miles from my location I have seen a lot of KP's. All prices and all manor of extras and miles. Shop, and you will be surprised. Good luck. And welcome.

The Beatings Will Stop When Morale Improves!

2012 Black CCT And A 2000 Nomad
MagVic CCT is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbs View Post
08-10 were somewhat of a transition stage. They all had the 100 CI engine and 6 speed trans prior to 2011.

They also made some changes that detuned the 100 ci engines for EPA purposes for those 3 years. Some parts will fit from the prior generation, some from the later one. Bit of an oddball. Nothing wrong with them at all, just a bit of transition era.

In 2011-12 the (last year being 2012) the Kingpin got the 106 CI engine and what Victory called the "100K" transmission which supposedly had some upgrade.

The frame and tins are pretty much the same from 2004-2012 with little variance on the side panel and exhaust I think.

Some argue the 2007 100 CI is the best of that prior generation because it is a very easy engine to upgrade and ran without the EPA crap on it.

I have the 2012, with the 106 and 'updated' transmission but to be honest I have not ridden an earlier bike yet where I could tell a difference in the gearbox. They all clunk.

If I were in the market now, knowing what I know I would grab a 2007, or a 2011-2012 if the engine is a consideration. I really love the 106, but you can see many who have tons of power in their 100 power plants.

Not sure where you are or how much this guy is asking, but my dealer has a 2012 pearl white and silver ( same as mine) with a hair over 4K on it for 7900.00. And he ships.

Not sure what other goodies he has on that bike either. Maybe post what extras the bike has and how much this cat is asking, may be easier to let folks know if its a decent deal or not. If you get a much better deal, a paint job is easy. 2 fenders the tank and the side panels.


BUT....I can guarantee...you WILL love the Kingpin. I've had them all and this bike is phenomenal in more ways than I can tell you. Good luck.




I got a little ahead of myself and put an offer on one that I looked at just a few miles from home. The guy said he would accept my offer so I guess I go pick it up on Tuesday. It is an 09 with 17,000 km (just over 10,000 mile). Perfect condition but nothing much for options other than the touring trunk/rear seat, saddle bags and engine guard. I will be paying 9300 CAD. The 7900 USD for the 2012 would likely be over $12k CAD by the time I pay currency exchange taxes and shipping but that may have been a wise decision. I was thinking it was the newer bikes that had the emission stuff on them. Whoops.
4x4ord is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 05:01 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
BP6666VR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: World Citizen = A peaceful and peacemaking individual, both in daily life and contacts with others
Posts: 5,950
Default

Congrats, can't wait to see a picture and see if you like the bike.... Happy for you mate....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

JACKPOT 2013 orange MADNESS :-) *HOH-VM1-DR*TachoMeter*PowCom-5*AutoTune*ATS*TorTube & (IAC) & nitro*Swept exhaust*LYNDALL & EBC brakes Front & Rear*Stainless Beads*Fwd Contr 4" *2 x Bad Boy Air Horn*Seven Color Lizard*NGK plugs*Blue Spark Plug Wir*Victory Oil*KN Oil filter*Oil Analysis*Clutch Cover*Kickst Repl Rubb*Invisble-A-Key*L.E.D. Batt. Gauge*Pulsating Brake Light*VictoryHID*Lice Bracket OVAL*BoltKit-Chrome*

Cross Country Tour 2014 [B]
BP6666VR is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 06:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Kurbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
I got a little ahead of myself and put an offer on one that I looked at just a few miles from home. The guy said he would accept my offer so I guess I go pick it up on Tuesday. It is an 09 with 17,000 km (just over 10,000 mile). Perfect condition but nothing much for options other than the touring trunk/rear seat, saddle bags and engine guard. I will be paying 9300 CAD. The 7900 USD for the 2012 would likely be over $12k CAD by the time I pay currency exchange taxes and shipping but that may have been a wise decision. I was thinking it was the newer bikes that had the emission stuff on them. Whoops.
Thats not too bad for a touring setup though. Bags and touring trunk alone would cost you 1200 USD. Plus its a nice color combo and low miles. You will love the bike handling and feeling. I put 1200 miles on mine between Friday and yesterday. 2 days had heavy sidewinds and headwinds. I am intact! And I don't have the touring seat. Or highway bars.

2012 Pin
Torque Tubes, VM-1 cams, PCV, Throttle ring, ATS
Kurbs is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 6
Default

I came across an article that described the changesade to the Freedom engine from '07 to '08. The compression ratio was reduced from 9.8 to 8.7:1, the airbox was redesigned, new injectors installed along with a new fuel control module. As surprising as it seams, the overall result boosted torque from 103 to 106 lbft of torque and Victory claims peak HP was increased as well.
4x4ord is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome