New Non-owner member - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Snakeoil
  • 1 Post By Kurbs
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Snakeoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 5
Default New Non-owner member

Hello to the forum.

Yes, I'm a new member that does not own a Victory. I'm here because my cousin owns one and I'm his wrench. He also owns and new Indian Chief as well and I've done some minor work on that too.

The reason I'm here is for tech tips and such. He wants me to put Lloyd'z drop-in cams in his Cross-Dresser becauses he still has his first communion money and does not want to part with it. I will also be installing Lloyd'z adjustable timing gear and a PC-V including installing the correct map for his set-up which we will get from Lloyd'z.

We took his Indian to Lloyd'z on a cold November day last year and had him install his cams, exhaust, PC and dyno tune it. I had already put his air cleaner on the bike. It truly woke the Indian up and Rit wants to do the same to his Cross-Dresser.

I found Phil C.'s cam installation guide which is truly appreciated. Thank you Phil for creating and sharing that. I found a few vids on YouTube for cam installation, but have to admit that they are too painful to watch. Installation looks pretty straight forward though and this is not my first dance. The trick to raise the backbone is the type of info I'm looking for. Saves time wasted head scratching.

My background is I've been riding since I was about 16 or so. My folks hated bikes and I'm an only child so took lots of whining and coaxing to finally get them to buckle. Dad was a motorhead, but had a bad first experience with a 45 HD during WWII and decided they were not for him. I've been wrenching in one form or another as a hobby for over 50 years. Have 10 bikes in the herd ranging from a '67 Honda S90 to a '39 Indian Four. All my bikes run and are ridden. Current project is a 250 Ducati Monza that is being built from miscellaneous bits and pieces.

I'm a formally trained machinist that went on to be a senior engineer in the power generation industry for 40 years. I worked for an OEM with power generation plants as my clients. I retired 4 years ago. Motorcycles are a treat after spending a career working with equipment that requires a crane to move just about everything.

My cousin may be a member here, although he's pretty digitally challenged. So if anything he's a lurker and never posts. I'll have to ask him. Knowing he won't post will make it fun to torment him in the general discussion area.

If I discover any tricks or techniques to make the cam installation easier, I'll be sure to share them here.

regards,
Rob
Motorbikerx likes this.
Snakeoil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Motorbikerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Gold Coast, Australia.
Posts: 8,647
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeoil View Post
Hello to the forum.

Yes, I'm a new member that does not own a Victory. I'm here because my cousin owns one and I'm his wrench. He also owns and new Indian Chief as well and I've done some minor work on that too.

The reason I'm here is for tech tips and such. He wants me to put Lloyd'z drop-in cams in his Cross-Dresser becauses he still has his first communion money and does not want to part with it. I will also be installing Lloyd'z adjustable timing gear and a PC-V including installing the correct map for his set-up which we will get from Lloyd'z.

We took his Indian to Lloyd'z on a cold November day last year and had him install his cams, exhaust, PC and dyno tune it. I had already put his air cleaner on the bike. It truly woke the Indian up and Rit wants to do the same to his Cross-Dresser.

I found Phil C.'s cam installation guide which is truly appreciated. Thank you Phil for creating and sharing that. I found a few vids on YouTube for cam installation, but have to admit that they are too painful to watch. Installation looks pretty straight forward though and this is not my first dance. The trick to raise the backbone is the type of info I'm looking for. Saves time wasted head scratching.

My background is I've been riding since I was about 16 or so. My folks hated bikes and I'm an only child so took lots of whining and coaxing to finally get them to buckle. Dad was a motorhead, but had a bad first experience with a 45 HD during WWII and decided they were not for him. I've been wrenching in one form or another as a hobby for over 50 years. Have 10 bikes in the herd ranging from a '67 Honda S90 to a '39 Indian Four. All my bikes run and are ridden. Current project is a 250 Ducati Monza that is being built from miscellaneous bits and pieces.

I'm a formally trained machinist that went on to be a senior engineer in the power generation industry for 40 years. I worked for an OEM with power generation plants as my clients. I retired 4 years ago. Motorcycles are a treat after spending a career working with equipment that requires a crane to move just about everything.

My cousin may be a member here, although he's pretty digitally challenged. So if anything he's a lurker and never posts. I'll have to ask him. Knowing he won't post will make it fun to torment him in the general discussion area.

If I discover any tricks or techniques to make the cam installation easier, I'll be sure to share them here.

regards,
Rob
Welcome Rob, G'day from Downunder, sounds to me like your cousin is very fortunate to have you on his side.
I too have a Honda90 as well as my 109 King Vegas.
She hits the dragstrip today actually , today all my mods and tuning come together on the black dyno.
Chris.

Victory Vegas 2010
Lloydz 109"cube big bore
" " 495 cams
" " TorqueTubes
" " timing wheel @4 deg.
" " Primary plate
" " IAV
RPW Slash pipes
PCV
Progressive 465 rear shock
Kingpin USD Forks
18" XC front wheel
1 3/4" 'Burleigh Bars'
Stebel air horn
12.106 @110.90mph
114/123

Victory Cross Country 2010 (106)
Lloyds air filter
" " VM1 Cams
Home gutted exhaust
Maximus
Both tuned by [email protected] Dyno
110/116

Gold Coast
Australia
Motorbikerx is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hendersonville, NC in summers and The Villages, FL in winters
Posts: 1,442
Default

Not sure what you mean by your references to your cousin's bike as being a "Cross-Dresser". I hope this is an auto-correct issue because it would not be a good way to win new friends by telling them that their bikes are "Cross-Dressers".

G'day,

Vinish

Our patriotic stable:

Red 2012 XCT (wife's bike in NC)
Red 2012 XCT (my bike for NC)
White with custom flames 2012 XCT (wife's bike in FL)
Blue custom fire on a black 2012 XCT (my bike in FL)

2006 HD Softail Heritage (my bike when I was in MI - sold in Oct, 2017 after putting 45,000 miles and 20 states and one province on it - My first big bike and most of us will always remember our first with fond memories)
Vinish is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 12,947
Default

If you do Maximus Tuner you don't need Lloydz timing wheel.
Of coarse you could go back to Lloydz

https://buywitchdoctors.com/p/598084...tuner-sc-2949/

2008 Vision
Mpls, MN.

Please add your state and model of bike you have. Click user CP @ top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Snakeoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks for the welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinish View Post
Not sure what you mean by your references to your cousin's bike as being a "Cross-Dresser". I hope this is an auto-correct issue because it would not be a good way to win new friends by telling them that their bikes are "Cross-Dressers".
This is a standing joke I have going on with Rit. He also drives a Subaru as his daily driver and that plays a role in the whole Cross-Dresser thing. I saw him last night and he's not a member here, but visits and reads posts.

Please don't take any of my comments as negative in nature. I believe that you gotta be able to laugh at yourself in life. At least that is my philosophy. Those with thin skin who can't see the humor in things are normally not worth the time spent to explain it to them. I was at a Victory dealer the other day in Utica, NY. Great guys there and will provide tech support over the phone. Anyway, I stopped in to thank them for some help they had provided and while there I asked the owner a question about the Cross-Dresser on the floor. He got a big chuckle out of it. Who knows, we could start a trend here. After all, it is a Cross Country and it is a dresser. Cross Dresser just seems appropriate. Seriously, you will never see me do anything malicious intentionally here. I don't participate in forums and such to be a big fish in a small pond. I particpate to learn, to share with others as I learn and to help others if I can. I leave the cat fighting to others.

One of my bikes is a Harley Fatboy. Feel free to have your way with that. I also own a Ural sidecar rig. Some might question my sanity base on that, alone. At the very least, my judgement is questionable.

Appreciate the input on the tuner. Rit has this thing for Lloyd'z. I suggested that the degree wheel was probably redundant since the PCV has a timing capability as well, albeit starting at 2500 rpm. But I would think that for street use, that's more than adequate. But he gets all his tech input directly from the folks at Lloyd'z and I've learned to just do what he asks. He's totally in the dark when it comes to modern electronics and computer controls on engines. He loves how his Indian turned out so he's trusting them to provide the same seat of the pants improvement on the Victory. His money, his choices. I'm just the wrench.

regards,
Rob
Snakeoil is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 06:19 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Motorbikerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Gold Coast, Australia.
Posts: 8,647
Garage
Default

I like your sense of humour mate.
Timing wheel is indeed a good thing.
Oh and Paulie Honda East Toledo latest post he got some womens clothing for sale

Victory Vegas 2010
Lloydz 109"cube big bore
" " 495 cams
" " TorqueTubes
" " timing wheel @4 deg.
" " Primary plate
" " IAV
RPW Slash pipes
PCV
Progressive 465 rear shock
Kingpin USD Forks
18" XC front wheel
1 3/4" 'Burleigh Bars'
Stebel air horn
12.106 @110.90mph
114/123

Victory Cross Country 2010 (106)
Lloyds air filter
" " VM1 Cams
Home gutted exhaust
Maximus
Both tuned by [email protected] Dyno
110/116

Gold Coast
Australia
Motorbikerx is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 08:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Kurbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeoil View Post
Thanks for the welcome.



This is a standing joke I have going on with Rit. He also drives a Subaru as his daily driver and that plays a role in the whole Cross-Dresser thing. I saw him last night and he's not a member here, but visits and reads posts.

Please don't take any of my comments as negative in nature. I believe that you gotta be able to laugh at yourself in life. At least that is my philosophy. Those with thin skin who can't see the humor in things are normally not worth the time spent to explain it to them. I was at a Victory dealer the other day in Utica, NY. Great guys there and will provide tech support over the phone. Anyway, I stopped in to thank them for some help they had provided and while there I asked the owner a question about the Cross-Dresser on the floor. He got a big chuckle out of it. Who knows, we could start a trend here. After all, it is a Cross Country and it is a dresser. Cross Dresser just seems appropriate. Seriously, you will never see me do anything malicious intentionally here. I don't participate in forums and such to be a big fish in a small pond. I particpate to learn, to share with others as I learn and to help others if I can. I leave the cat fighting to others.

One of my bikes is a Harley Fatboy. Feel free to have your way with that. I also own a Ural sidecar rig. Some might question my sanity base on that, alone. At the very least, my judgement is questionable.

Appreciate the input on the tuner. Rit has this thing for Lloyd'z. I suggested that the degree wheel was probably redundant since the PCV has a timing capability as well, albeit starting at 2500 rpm. But I would think that for street use, that's more than adequate. But he gets all his tech input directly from the folks at Lloyd'z and I've learned to just do what he asks. He's totally in the dark when it comes to modern electronics and computer controls on engines. He loves how his Indian turned out so he's trusting them to provide the same seat of the pants improvement on the Victory. His money, his choices. I'm just the wrench.

regards,
Rob
I sue to have Harleys too, my RK and Fat boy were the favorites.

The Cross frame cams are much easier than the crusiers since you don't need to jack the engine up and more room to do them.

If' you've done it before this won't be bad unless you decide to go with the cams that require a lift spring kit.

2 ways to go on the tune. ECU or PCV with timing wheel. PCV is a solid design, ECU on the Maximus proving itself quickly as well, depends if you have time and cash for a dyno too. In which case if you go with the PCV and AT200 autotune you can get by without one unless you want the sheet.

Gotta warn you though...once those cams, intake and tune are done that Cross Dresser will blow that lights off quite a few bikes.

I know 3 guys personally whose dyno shows between 126-128 HP. That package will run about the same as a ECU program and remote tune or local dyno tune as a PCV, autotune ( which lots of Harley guys use too as you know ) and the timing wheel.

Love the Cross Dresser tag lol....but you will have to let everyone know you got blown by a Tranny when its done!

2012 Pin
Torque Tubes, VM-1 cams, PCV, Throttle ring, ATS
Kurbs is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Senior Member
 
visionjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: minnesota
Posts: 12,947
Default

read up on autotune. Every 6 rides you have to take the info and down load it to the PCV. Autotune is very miss leading. Dyno tune or Maxims are the only 2 ways to

2008 Vision
Mpls, MN.

Please add your state and model of bike you have. Click user CP @ top of page and then far left click edit signature. Thanks
visionjohnny is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 01:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Kurbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionjohnny View Post
read up on autotune. Every 6 rides you have to take the info and down load it to the PCV. Autotune is very miss leading. Dyno tune or Maxims are the only 2 ways to
Not sure where that info came from. 300-400 miles and it does the trick and you can remove it. Its not supposed to run continually. Only time you want to run it again is after adding different mods.

Plus IF you add more stuff don't need to dyno tune it again if you don't want to. I've put my bike against others that were shop tuned and they know whose bike hits harder. My Af is solid and my MPG runs between 45-48.

Auto tune works great. A good tuner can get it maybe 5-8% tighter but thats up to the rider.
VicVisionBulldog likes this.

2012 Pin
Torque Tubes, VM-1 cams, PCV, Throttle ring, ATS
Kurbs is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Snakeoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 5
Default

Hi guys, I'm back. This has to the first time I have been unable to depart a newbie thread. But that's okay, cuz I'm still a bonafide newbie.

Today, I finished up the cams and PC5 installation. I used Phil C's excellent instructions. Also looked at a few vids on You Tube but really did not pick up anything there that was not in Phil's installation guide.

I do have a few things I'll like to contribute to Phil's guide to make it easier for the next guy that has to do a Cross Country. I'm going to search for Phil's original post with his guide in it and make the contributions there.

In general, it was not hard to do. Came up with at least one trick that I'll share in my post in Phil's thread. PC5 was a PITA just due to the difficulty in getting to things like the injector connectors. Was also a bit disappointed that the PC5 wiring was not sleeved all the way to their connectors. I'm going to write to them about that. I think that is a mistake. The installer should be the one to determine how much wire needs to be exposed, if any.

regards,
Rob
Snakeoil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome