Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Metzeler tire

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  GOOT-Z 
#1 ·
anyone have problems with Metzeler 880 tires. While riding today heard a pop from front tire also felt like I ran over something in the road, nothing in road, stop to check tire found two large bubbles on the tire, the tread had pulled away from tire has anyone else ran into this.

#3 ·
I've put thousands of miles on mets over the years and never had any problems at all. I have read some posts on another forums about guys having problems with the tread separating on them. As I recall they said something about they were made somewhere other than Germany and were limited to a certain date range. (as I recall) You may be able to find more about it on the"HDF"forum.

#4 ·
Yes, I had it happen on my Wing, same size tire. The tire seperated in bubbles over 6 inches long. I limped it at 30 miles an hour (bumpy ride) for 150 miles to Durango and got a new tire. The tire had around 4,000 miles on it when it occured. This aside, I've read of this happening on just about every brand there is from one time or another. The one Ive read of this happening the most were Avons but that was several years ago may no longer be the case.

#5 ·

Heres Metz. for ya.
If you look close the tread is backwards on the 08 Raider, Thousands of early Raiders came with backwards tread with the arrow pointing in the correct direction.
They would do nothing about it.:(
Metz. sucks and don't care about your safety.
Don't know where their made now but I don't think Germany.

#6 ·
When Metzler moved their motorcycle tire production from Germany to Brazil around 2003 or 2004, quality control went out the window as with most things made in Brazil by Brazilians. It has since improved somewhat, but in my opinion has miles to go just to return to the quality tire that was made in Germany.

Check the manufacture date and I bet it is 2003 or 2004 or even into 2005...

#7 · (Edited)
Metzelers still made in Germany

I have two of them on my BMW, and have had them for years, from day-one on several bikes. Unsure of Brazil/quality accusation, but they became a subsidiary of Pirelli in 1986; this is the first QC story on them I've heard.

On the other hand, don't get me started on Dunlop and Bridgestone. I can't wait to get rid of the former on my HamS. Their high-performance tires are pathetic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.