Looking for a Kingpin...I have questions! - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 146
Question Looking for a Kingpin...I have questions!

In the market for a 2006-2007 Kingpin and have a few questions that you owners can answer. I have been researching these bikes online for a week but still don't know a few things...

1. It seems that most KP's do not have a Tachometer. Was this an option? Is it expensive/difficult to add a factory Tachometer to a bike that did not come with one?

2. How difficult would it be to mount the factory hard leather coated bags to a non-Deluxe KP? Are the fenders pre-drilled for bags even on the base model? what about adding a factory KP Tour trunk to a non-Touring version?

3. From reading some posts on this forum it seems that many of you owners feel that 2006 Kingpins should be priced in the $6,000 range. I can't find a single Kingpin Deluxe in good condition with reasonable mileage for under $7,500. Where should I be looking for used bikes? I've been checking cycletrader, Ebay and Craigslist.

Thanks!
KINGCL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 PM
New Member
 
Kingpin50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern NH.
Posts: 34
Default

I have a 2006 Kingpin extreme. I have the Victory Factory bags mounted. 2 of the mounts go through the fender struts. The 3rd mounts to the rear passenger peg mount behind the side cover.You shouldn't have to add any holes. Can't help you on the trunk. I beleive they still make a tach kit to add a tachometer. As far as 6 grand, good luck with that one, I'm on Craigs list up here in the Boston/NH. area all the time and have not even seen any Kingpins for less than $7500.00. They are a great bike and if you buy one, you should love it. I just put 1000 miles on mine last week during Laconia Bike Week and had a smile on my face the whole time!!!
Kingpin50 is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Ferta_McDaniels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 203
Default

Adding a tach to a Kingpin is pretty easy. It is plug and play. The harness for the tach is located in the headlight assembly. You should be able to find a new tach kit for under $175. It is worth the money. With the 06 & up there is an indicator lamp that tells you when you are in 6th gear. As for the price, I bought my 04 KP about 2 years ago for $6,000 and it only had 754 miles on it. I just happened to luckout and find someone that really wanted to get rid of the bike. I can't imagine ever finding a 06 for that price.

PFloyd (Ferta)

2014 Vision Nuclear Sunset
XM Radio Module
Sequential Turn Signals F/R
1/4 Turn Throttle Ring
HID Headlights & Cyclops
Vic Shop Tweaks: 124 HP / 121 Torque

04 Purple Thunder Kingpin (Sold)
Ferta_McDaniels is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Senior Member
 
leighhannah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 229
Garage
Default

Is there a specific reason you're looking for an '06-'07 kingpin, other than the price? I picked up my wife's '05 last December for $6000. I was just looking on craigslist here in Myrtle Beach, there are a few in my area, Coastal Victory has an '06 with custom paint, but they are asking for 10K.

2008 Vision Street
Custom paint; tinted turn signals; Lloydz cams, timing gear, PCIII; Hot Vic 26" Windmill wheel, billet wedges, tips, pegs & covers; Focal IC-130 5.25" speakers, Arc Audio KS 125.2 BX2 AMP; Hot Tails custom seat...

2012 High Ball
Custom exhaust; high performance air filter; Hot Vic sissy bar, lowered 1.5" rear, .5" front; Witchdoctor 2" peg extensions & pegs, Hot Tails custom seat & passenger pad...

Last edited by leighhannah; 06-19-2012 at 12:38 AM.
leighhannah is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
half_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 4,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCL View Post
1. It seems that most KP's do not have a Tachometer. Was this an option? Is it expensive/difficult to add a factory Tachometer to a bike that did not come with one?
The Hammer came with a tach. The Kingpin is basically identical and the tach mounts right up and plugs right in. 10 minute job and looks factory done. I paid $190 for the tach and gauge mount.






Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCL View Post
2. How difficult would it be to mount the factory hard leather coated bags to a non-Deluxe KP? Are the fenders pre-drilled for bags even on the base model? what about adding a factory KP Tour trunk to a non-Touring version?
Victory bags suck, you can do better. Look at Viking, or Tsukayu. The Kingpin Tour and the Kingpin are exactly the same chassis, all accessories will bolt right up to either bike (bags, tour pack, touring seats).




Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCL View Post
3. From reading some posts on this forum it seems that many of you owners feel that 2006 Kingpins should be priced in the $6,000 range. I can't find a single Kingpin Deluxe in good condition with reasonable mileage for under $7,500. Where should I be looking for used bikes? I've been checking cycletrader, Ebay and Craigslist.
You are looking in all the right places. Be ready to pull the trigger and be patient... the right deal will come along. You'll know it when you see it.

2006 Victory Kingpin
Lloydz 116" Stroker/Big Bore, .495 Cams, Torque Tubes Airbox,
RPW Thor Pipe, Lloydz ECU Flash, PC-III, PTS (-2), Rivera
Primo Clutch Spring, 31 Tooth Pulley w/Buell Belt.

Last edited by half_crazy; 06-19-2012 at 07:25 AM.
half_crazy is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferta_McDaniels View Post
Adding a tach to a Kingpin is pretty easy. It is plug and play. The harness for the tach is located in the headlight assembly. You should be able to find a new tach kit for under $175. It is worth the money. With the 06 & up there is an indicator lamp that tells you when you are in 6th gear. As for the price, I bought my 04 KP about 2 years ago for $6,000 and it only had 754 miles on it. I just happened to luckout and find someone that really wanted to get rid of the bike. I can't imagine ever finding a 06 for that price.
Excellent, good to know the harness is already there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighhannah View Post
Is there a specific reason you're looking for an '06-'07 kingpin, other than the price? I picked up my wife's '05 last December for $6000.
I want a 2006+ mainly for the 6 speed transmission. My Uncle has logged 150,000 miles on 5 speed V92's and he just got a new Vision and tells me that the 6th gear makes the bike so much smoother/quieter at highway speeds and may gain as much as 5 mpg...spending another $1,500 for that plus the bragging rights of "100CI" stamped on the side is worth holding out for an '06 in my book.


Quote:
Originally Posted by half_crazy View Post

You are looking in all the right places. Be ready to pull the trigger and be patient... the right deal will come along. You'll know it when you see it.
KINGCL is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
half_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 4,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCL View Post
I want a 2006+ mainly for the 6 speed transmission.
The 100" engine is a good thing, and the six speed is nice on the highway. These were a couple of big reasons I chose Victory.

On the 2006/2007 models, 1st gear is TALL. In 2008, Victory changed the ratio to correct this. For me, it was something I wanted to change so I found a 31 tooth front pulley (stock is 33) to lower the overall gearing by 7%. Especially with the shorter gearing, the 6 speed is like a hit record, and if you add the tach with the little green "OD" light in it, that is quite convenient as well (I can't imagine life without a tach now).

Saddlebags: Those will spoil you. I wanted big, carpeted, lockable bags for the Kingpin. I found the Victory bags too small (and expensive) and I know people who had issues with the leather not holding up/weathering well. If you want to have larger bags it's pretty much a necessity to get rid of that huge stock exhaust, that way the bags can be a lot deeper and still sit low on the bike (top in line with the fender).

Not being a floorboard kinda guy, but knowing the Kingpin was the best handling Victory in the line up at the time, it was extremely good news to discover that the foot controls from the Vegas bolt right up.

The styling of the Kingpin lends itself well to being a bagger. The inverted front end and 18" front wheel give it much better handling and more tire choices. To me, you have your head in the right place. If I were going to replace this bike I would buy a low miles '07 and start from scratch. Good luck with your shopping.

2006 Victory Kingpin
Lloydz 116" Stroker/Big Bore, .495 Cams, Torque Tubes Airbox,
RPW Thor Pipe, Lloydz ECU Flash, PC-III, PTS (-2), Rivera
Primo Clutch Spring, 31 Tooth Pulley w/Buell Belt.
half_crazy is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_crazy View Post
The 100" engine is a good thing, and the six speed is nice on the highway. These were a couple of big reasons I chose Victory.

On the 2006/2007 models, 1st gear is TALL. In 2008, Victory changed the ratio to correct this. For me, it was something I wanted to change so I found a 31 tooth front pulley (stock is 33) to lower the overall gearing by 7%. Especially with the shorter gearing, the 6 speed is like a hit record, and if you add the tach with the little green "OD" light in it, that is quite convenient as well (I can't imagine life without a tach now).

Saddlebags: Those will spoil you. I wanted big, carpeted, lockable bags for the Kingpin. I found the Victory bags too small (and expensive) and I know people who had issues with the leather not holding up/weathering well. If you want to have larger bags it's pretty much a necessity to get rid of that huge stock exhaust, that way the bags can be a lot deeper and still sit low on the bike (top in line with the fender).

Not being a floorboard kinda guy, but knowing the Kingpin was the best handling Victory in the line up at the time, it was extremely good news to discover that the foot controls from the Vegas bolt right up.

The styling of the Kingpin lends itself well to being a bagger. The inverted front end and 18" front wheel give it much better handling and more tire choices. To me, you have your head in the right place. If I were going to replace this bike I would buy a low miles '07 and start from scratch. Good luck with your shopping.
I'm all for larger saddle bags as the KP is going to be my touring ride, I still have a Yamaha FZ6 sport/standard bike I'll keep as my mountain twisty carver.

What are some of the exhaust options for the KP? The bike in your signature looks like it has 2 to 1 exhaust? Seems that would really change the tone of the power pulses? I love that deep power pulse you get from a dual exhaust outlet on a V-twin.

- J
KINGCL is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
half_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 4,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCL View Post
What are some of the exhaust options for the KP? The bike in your signature looks like it has 2 to 1 exhaust? Seems that would really change the tone of the power pulses? I love that deep power pulse you get from a dual exhaust outlet on a V-twin.
Mine are RPW "Thor". Light, make killer power, sound great, look great, inexpensive.

www.metricthunder.com
is a good source.

You can see a variety here:
http://www.lloydz.com/store/store_re...xhaust+Systems

2006 Victory Kingpin
Lloydz 116" Stroker/Big Bore, .495 Cams, Torque Tubes Airbox,
RPW Thor Pipe, Lloydz ECU Flash, PC-III, PTS (-2), Rivera
Primo Clutch Spring, 31 Tooth Pulley w/Buell Belt.
half_crazy is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 146
Default

I just found a local KP for sale, seems like a good deal.

2007 Victory KP tour
20K miles
Has the saddle bags and trunk
has the following add ons:
Kuryakyn grips
stage 1 exhaust
Highway bars
Breakaway Cruise Control
$6,800

Any of those add ons considered a worthy upgrade?





The only thing I'm not too keen on is the color, silver is just so boring...I'm sure it wouldn't cost much to go to a custom color though.

Last edited by KINGCL; 06-19-2012 at 12:51 PM.
KINGCL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome