Have you scraped your floor boards on the pavement? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
View Poll Results: Have your floor boards on your Kingpin scraped pavement in a corner?
I drag them every time I ride. It's how I tell I'm leaning enough! 5 13.16%
I drag them every time I ride hard in the twisties 11 28.95%
I have drug them once or twice 16 42.11%
Never! 5 13.16%
What's a twisty road? My roads are boring! 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 146
Cool Have you scraped your floor boards on the pavement?

Just wondering how many of you have had your floor boards hit the pavement in a corner.

Up until I put my new tires on I never had but now that I have new D407's on the rear, the bike just wants to lean over! I scraped them 3 times on my 950 mile round trip to NW PA this weekend!

It is actually a bit unfortunate because it didn't even seem like I was leaning that much at all (compared to a standard motorcycle). Now when I take corners hard I have to hang off the bike, sport-bike style to keep the floor boards from dragging!
KINGCL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCL View Post
Just wondering how many of you have had your floor boards hit the pavement in a corner.

Up until I put my new tires on I never had but now that I have new D407's on the rear, the bike just wants to lean over! I scraped them 3 times on my 950 mile round trip to NW PA this weekend!

It is actually a bit unfortunate because it didn't even seem like I was leaning that much at all (compared to a standard motorcycle). Now when I take corners hard I have to hang off the bike, sport-bike style to keep the floor boards from dragging!
I'd rephrase the first response. Touching the boards is an indication that going thru the turn any faster may result in an unplanned surfing adventure. What dragging boards tells me is that the speed thru the turn is bordering on inappropriate. That also happens to be just about where ride gets entertaining.




https://www.victoryforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic6903_1.gif
2011 Cross Roads
saddlebag is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I'd rephrase the first response. Touching the boards is an indication that going thru the turn any faster may result in an unplanned surfing adventure. What dragging boards tells me is that the speed thru the turn is bordering on inappropriate. That also happens to be just about where ride gets entertaining.
The thing of it is, I drug the boards and the wear line on the rear tire is still almost 2 inches from the tire shoulder. Seems it could go over a bit more if the boards were not so low. Maybe it's a Kingpin problem because my Uncle has put 150,000 miles on V92TC's and 40,000 on a 2011 XCT and only drug the boards once or twice.

Alternately maybe my sport bike history has me thinking these bikes can lean further than they actually should?!
KINGCL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
SilvrT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Surrey, BC Canada
Posts: 1,365
Garage
Default

Although I voted "I have drug them once or twice" ... that is not entirely true.

I have gremlin bells tied to the lower part of the crash bars and they drag. It's about as close to floor board dragging without actually doing it.

2013 RED XCT

Live to Love - Love to Ride
Life's a Venture on my Victory

----------------------------
Lloydz Air Filter
Lloydz Timing Wheel
Power Commander V
Autotune
CATs removed
Stage 1 flash
HD Trunk Rack
FIAAM Air Horn
PIAA 1100x Lamps
D&D Slip-on Mufflers
HID High & Low
KuryAkyn Sabertooth saddlebag tail lights
Victory Apes
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55-16
------------------------------------

SilvrT is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
saddlebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCL View Post
The thing of it is, I drug the boards and the wear line on the rear tire is still almost 2 inches from the tire shoulder. Seems it could go over a bit more if the boards were not so low. Maybe it's a Kingpin problem because my Uncle has put 150,000 miles on V92TC's and 40,000 on a 2011 XCT and only drug the boards once or twice.

Alternately maybe my sport bike history has me thinking these bikes can lean further than they actually should?!
Personally, I luv the floorboards on cruisers. I would not own one without them. And the KP does deck out way too soon, but it's better than their new cruisers. Half Crazy put pegs on his and can get a lot more lean angle out of it, but the decrease in comfort wouldn't be worth it for me.

Nice thing about the boards is the more you drag them, the harder it gets.




https://www.victoryforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic6903_1.gif
2011 Cross Roads
saddlebag is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Premium Member
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: So. Calif.
Posts: 1,001
Default

I scraped mine a bit, complained a bit about the Victory, since my BMW wouldn't allow scraping until WAY over, which I never did, but discovered I was not riding with proper body position etc., once I paid better attention to that, I haven't scraped since....

so it's possible that those who are scraping floorboards all the time are not riding properly and need to improve their body position when taking tight corners, being as low as the Victory is, compared to sport bikes anyway, we need to hang off the seat a bit if you want to take those tight corners without grinding away your low parts.

2012 Victory Cross Roads
2003 BMW R1150R
1978 BMW R75/7
.........
1974 BMW R75/5
Lance is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I scraped mine a bit, complained a bit about the Victory, since my BMW wouldn't allow scraping until WAY over, which I never did, but discovered I was not riding with proper body position etc., once I paid better attention to that, I haven't scraped since....

so it's possible that those who are scraping floorboards all the time are not riding properly and need to improve their body position when taking tight corners, being as low as the Victory is, compared to sport bikes anyway, we need to hang off the seat a bit if you want to take those tight corners without grinding away your low parts.
I've definitely started hanging off the Kingpin more and it makes a huge difference just like it does on sport bikes.
KINGCL is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Lostintexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 784
Default

Not sure about your ride, but on a XCT, when you drag a board, you better be where you need to be. There is very little play on them. Other rides I have had, there was ample warning of problems coming, but they dragged a lot too.
I drag them in parking lots doing drills. I have also levered the tires pulling such stunts. Pretty embarasing.
A few times when I got lazy I have felt them touch down, so they let me know I was getting lazy. No need to hang plumb off the side, but good cornering is needed if you wan to play.
As for trying to ride it like a "sport bike", well it just isn't that. Enjoy it for what it is and get something else if the need to knee drag overcomes you.

Keep the rubber side down.

Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem.~ Ronald Reagan

2012 XCT, AFR+ Gen 4, Lloydz air filter. I don't equate noise with power.
I ride with the Force.
Lostintexas is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shelbyville il
Posts: 251
Default

On my Vision I am not sure they will drag. Have had it really low and never scrape.


Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

My ride
2013 Vision Touring. Shelbyville IL
Lloyds 116 big bore
Lloyds timing wheel set at plus 2
Lloyds adjustble intake
Lloyds HP cams
Lloyds quarter turn throttle
PCV 5
Ness Big Honkers
Lloyds Vision intake plate
Lloyds variable clutch
Heads worked over
Built and tuned by Rylan Vos at The Vic Shop
Adel ia.
136HP 139FTLBS
new vic rider is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by new vic rider View Post
On my Vision I am not sure they will drag. Have had it really low and never scrape.
Yea, I'm starting to gather that the Kingpin has the lowest boards of any Victory.

I do have a second bike for my love of twisty roads

but it's hard to fight the urge when I'm on the Victory and a beautiful set of curves present themselves with a line of sight through them!
KINGCL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome