Join Date: May 2013
Location: Left Coast, Canada
18 inch tires
Gents, at some time in the not too distant future I will be in the market for some new tires for the KP. There are a few options available and many of you commenting here have varying opinions of each of them and how they handle on the bikes depending upon the conditions they are used. Compounding the problem of selection is the lack of up to date info on manufacturer websites.
To make the effort a little more informative for those looking for replacements I'd like to put together a list of what is available and post it here in one location. I've been doing some searching but every once in awhile someone on a site mentions another choice which I had not yet come across. Your input to a more comprehensive listing would be appreciated.
If you do have some information or recommendations please list it in sequence by
3. Full size designation.(all the numbers and letters aid in an on-line search)
4. Bias ply or radial. (even if it's in the code please as it will save me some time.)
5. One word rating against the originals. Better, Same, Worse.
6. One to three word comments on the tire strengths or weaknesses. Eg: slippery when wet, longer mileage life, great cornering, worse mileage, better value, wobble under heavy load, etc. (multiple short comments are welcomed)
7. Where you purchased them from. This may or may not be included but I've noticed some comments about not being able to locate some suggested tires. As an example, we are so limited in this area I may have to travel to the US to get what I want.
Price is relative so I will leave that alone and let others decide what their values are. I personally would like something that performs well in the corners and when wet. Others may want longer life for straight line touring. In either case I'm sure it will be a different tire but we each may be willing to pay more for those attributes.
If anyone has any other suggestions to include for information please list it as well. I'm trying to keep this concise but if it's important, I'll add it.
Thanks in advance gents.
Not all those who wander are lost.