Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

pcv or flash

6K views 54 replies 14 participants last post by  bsbabcock 
#1 ·
I put new pipe on my crossroads it already had a hi flow filter ( not Lloyd's ) disconnected the O2 sensors but she is running very lean. Plug is white when pulled. Do I need to flash the ecu if I put a PCV on.

#2 ·
Flash or PCV either one will work for you. Or you can just put the regular filter back in and plug you 02's back up. I have been running mine with just gutted pipes for over a year with no problems.

#4 ·
Yes, what Rylan said. thumb up

Flash or PCV either one will work for you. Or you can just put the regular filter back in and plug you 02's back up. I have been running mine with just gutted pipes for over a year with no problems.
Plugging the O² sensors back in will allow the bike to run as lean as the Government intended it to run. I would leave the O² sensors disconnected, unless you're trying to set new EPA records. cheers

#5 ·
I think I'm going to do the PCV as later I will be adding a Lloyd's filter.

Thanks for the info

#8 ·
Just put new plugs in did 30 miles found out previous owner disconnected the 02s sensors. Pulled plugs were black. Put the new pipe on left 02's off did 2 miles checked they were white.

#10 ·
No way! :crzy: What color where the plugs, when brand new? White? Oh, yeah, it would take more than 2 miles for them to change color.

#9 · (Edited)
30 miles isnt long enough on new plugs especially if you put ngks back in, they take forever to color, if the old ones were black your rich.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#11 ·
#12 ·
So I'm just being paranoid. I will put a picture of plug up later see what you think the old ones were showing rich for sure

#13 ·
yes. if it was that lean the old plugs would be white still and you would have had driveability issues.

#14 ·
The first sign of lean , is surging ... You bike wont be able to hold a steady speed under the slightest load and you will feel an uneven speed constant .... As the motor is thirsting for more fuel ...

#15 ·
KPR, you are in south NH. close to R.I. KMC is there. Get a PC5. save your money on the flash and get a timing wheel. Then take your bike to KMC and let him tune it. Unless you do a set of cams, your done. you will have a tuned bike. No more guessing. Spend wisely my friend!

#17 ·
Two different style plugs and I bet heat range to.
How did you pick out that Iridium does look like the right one.
What is the first plug champion plug?

You never say what your getting for gas mileage

#18 ·
the iridium was in there. I asked dealer for ngk stock plug that is left plug first 30 miles stock pipes no o2 sensors then did bassani 2 into 1 down the road and back about 2 miles plus a few min warming her up. It didn't feel like it was surging or anything out of the ordinary.

#19 ·
#20 ·
A proper plug chop involves starting with 2 new plugs.
accelerating the bike through the gears into a fairly high gear,
a dragstrip or closed section of road is ideal.
A dyno also though youre not pushing against the air to fully load the engine.
As you cross the finish line or when its pulling hard in fourth gear pull the clutch in and kill the motor at the same time, don't allow the bike to slow under its own power. and don't let it idle before your run.
Reading a plug is a science in itself, there are many websites concerned with such.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/plug-reading-lm.html

Mags is right about the surging too extreme leaness will show up there as well as on the plugs

#21 ·
Motorbikerx
Good spark plug information.
Most of what we find now days on the net about spark plugs is from back in the day when there was lead in the gas.
So what they show for color is not what we will find in our plugs.

#22 ·
May I ask a stupid question. Can I not do the flash myself?

Got a tri-oval kit w flash card on my kitchen counter now for the new hardball and the dealer is 1 1/2 hours away. :/

I'm guessing it's some super secret sauce software used for the flash and probably a proprietary connector made from pure unobtainium. :)

#24 ·
Well I guess a PCV it shall be for the new scoot. While I was happy with the VFC on the High-Ball, I'm going to do it right on this new one.

I'm keeping in mind the flash has to meet emissions standards as a manufacturer requirement, where the PCV when properly trimmed is designed to run as right as possible in optimal AFR in all throttle range.

In fact I'm considering my original rule 1 of new bikes... Ditch CATs first thing. Damn I should have remembered that. Oh well. Might be selling off a tri-oval set for a full system.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#25 ·
I went PC V but there were no maps on the web site for full 2 into 1 system. I'm wanting the auto tuner attachment but have other things the wife says need to be paid for first.

#28 ·
I didn't buy the pc v there he will still help with a map. most places only support what they sell thus I asked here if anyone had a starter map but got no replies.

#29 ·
The support from the fantastic 4 is still there for you but its still better if you throw some business their way too. thumb up

After all we want them to have a successful business, don't we?cheers

#31 ·
whats the web address to them? im about to buy a PCV so if he can throw a good map my way, i have no problem buying from him.

****UPDATE**** NEVERMIND, DUMMY REMEMBERED GOOGLE! who woulda thought that the addy to the vic shop was, thevicshop. sometimes my stupidity amazes even me.

#30 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.