Too much oil?? - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
buddoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Laguna Niguel, Ca
Posts: 88
Default Too much oil??

I just picked up an 03 Vegas today from a private party. When I sit the bike upright to check the oil it's at the top! Am I supposed to leave it on the side stand to check the oil or did the PO over fill it?
Thanks in advance... yes, I'm new here. lol
buddoggin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Donzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 436
Default

Oil level is checked with the bike held up not on the side stand. Sounds like someone over-filled. You can use a turkey baster to lower the level to the top mark on the dip stick.

2010 Crossroads
Midnight Cherry

No Rice
No Pork
Just Beef

Enjoy the miles....we only get so many!
Donzo is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
buddoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Laguna Niguel, Ca
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
Oil level is checked with the bike held up not on the side stand. Sounds like someone over-filled. You can use a turkey baster to lower the level to the top mark on the dip stick.
Thanks! Gonna do that now!
buddoggin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Senior Member
 
BanditSRT8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 782
Default

Don't worry yourself too much. Unlike a car engine, nothing bad will happen if you have a little too much oil in there.

2012 HD Road Glide Custom - Black denim
BanditSRT8 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
buddoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Laguna Niguel, Ca
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditSRT8 View Post
Don't worry yourself too much. Unlike a car engine, nothing bad will happen if you have a little too much oil in there.
There was alot...lol I think the PO checked the level with it on its side stand and kept filling till it showed full. When I held it level and took the cap off oil just poured out. What a mess. It was at least clean oil... lol You buy used you take chances... if that's all that is wrong then I'll be a happy camper!
buddoggin is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
buddoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Laguna Niguel, Ca
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditSRT8 View Post
Don't worry yourself too much. Unlike a car engine, nothing bad will happen if you have a little too much oil in there.
BTW, thanks for the reply!! That gives me peace of mind since I rode it home (about 40 miles) before I checked it.
buddoggin is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 11
Garage
Default

From victory owner's manual:

Operating the engine with too much or too little oil can cause serious engine damage or seizure, which could result in loss of control and serious injury or death. Do not operate the motorcycle with the oil level above the FULL mark or below the ADD mark.

Not sure why a motorcycle would be any different than any other internal cumbustion engine as far as oil levels go.

That being said, your bike is more than likely just fine. I wouldn't make a habit of over/under filling the oil though.
lcoblentz3 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
buddoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Laguna Niguel, Ca
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoblentz3 View Post
From victory owner's manual:

Operating the engine with too much or too little oil can cause serious engine damage or seizure, which could result in loss of control and serious injury or death. Do not operate the motorcycle with the oil level above the FULL mark or below the ADD mark.

Not sure why a motorcycle would be any different than any other internal cumbustion engine as far as oil levels go.

That being said, your bike is more than likely just fine. I wouldn't make a habit of over/under filling the oil though.
Oil level is fine now! The PO also had 45 psi in the front tire!!!
buddoggin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome