Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum (https://www.victoryforums.com/forumindex.php)
-   Victory Cross Country and Cross Roads (https://www.victoryforums.com/34-victory-cross-country-cross-roads/)
-   -   In Line Fuel Filter? (https://www.victoryforums.com/34-victory-cross-country-cross-roads/186025-line-fuel-filter.html)

DavePA 06-11-2017 03:06 PM

In Line Fuel Filter?

Has anyone figured out how to get rid of Vics in-the-tank fuel filter and replace it with an in-line fuel filter outside of the tank?
It sure would be a lot easier to change and quite a cost saver.
Let me know please.

Pauljp 06-11-2017 03:57 PM

That's a great idea and it would probably be easy to do.
The current filter not only filters but places the fuel line at the lowest part of the tank, so we would need to fabricate a screen to the same shape as the filter and replace it.
Or just open the current filter, this way it won't get plugged and will keep the pick up end at the same location as it is now.
Then it is a simple matter of tapping into the fuel line under the tank and putting in a small canister style fuel filter.
I think it is a very plausible idea.

DavePA 06-11-2017 04:50 PM

Thanks for the response Paul.
I think the problem is that the fuel pump is in the tank. Doesn't the fuel need to be filtered before it goes into the pump?

Motorbikerx 06-11-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavePA (Post 2316561)
Thanks for the response Paul.
I think the problem is that the fuel pump is in the tank. Doesn't the fuel need to be filtered before it goes into the pump?

Yes it does, high milers here are getting over 100,000 miles out of a filter,
Many riders wouldn't do that in the life of the bike.
How many miles would you do a year?

Fuel needs to be filtered before the pump, yes.
Or risk the pump going out.
Cheap alternative filters are available now, as soon as someone try's one and it works we can all relax.
Genuine filters are priced way over the top for what they are anyway.

Speedblue 06-11-2017 09:15 PM

fuel filter $$$

I changed the fuel filter out on my XR when the manual said to. It was quiet pricey I thought for what it is. I believe a couple of years ago it cost me $75 from Paulie at Easttoledohonda.com that does not include the pump gasket. The old filter was dirty at 30,000 miles I believe is when I changed it. I did save the old filter so one day I may take it into a auto parts store and see if they can match it.

BBob 06-11-2017 09:30 PM

BP6666VR 06-11-2017 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBob (Post 2316769)

Yesssss these are the filters that were posted in the other thread, thanks Bbob,

This is the way forward, can't be that hard to connect, I have a box of Japanese made hose-clamps that are special for this kind of occasions.... There just regular hose clamps, just stronger and better material then China ones....

When the time comes I'll enjoy niggerrig that filter up into the tanks of my vics...

Happy days...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

BBob 06-11-2017 10:29 PM

I think is was Pain who ordered a set and said they came with an adapter hose and clamps.

Should be easy peazy smooth and breezy. :D

Motorbikerx 06-12-2017 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBob (Post 2316825)
I think is was Pain who ordered a set and said they came with an adapter hose and clamps.

Should be easy peazy smooth and breezy. :D

soon as someone fits one we will know... I got my genuine one through Victory Australia $160 Aust!
gotta be a better alternative ...though 50,000 miles divided by 160 is 312 miles to the dollar???
is my thinking and maths correct???
Rather pay $15

BP6666VR 06-12-2017 04:30 AM

Yup, soon as my jackpot is finished building i will put this on the bucket list....

Andre using TaPaTaLk