Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought the bike out from the corner of the garage to polish 'er up and change the oil. The front wheel has a very slight grinding noise in the front, and a loud squeal while backing up from the rear.

This is while pushing it in neutral, haven't rode it yet.

Is this typical after moving for the first time after a long cold winter?

Are there grease zerts on the front or rear I hadn't noticed?

Should I just ride it a couple miles and see if it limbers up?

Really hoping it's not anything serious, this winter's been a bitch and I really want to get out and ride!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
The grinding noise is probably your brakes. Try squeezing your brakes and see if it helps. The squeal may also be brakes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried rolling it back and forth working both brakes for over 5 minutes, hasn't seem to have improved.

If there are no grease fittings to lube, I'm inclined to ride it easy for a couple miles and see it the squeak works itself out.

What do ya guys think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get the front end off the ground and spin the tire by hand. Look at the brake pads and see if they're making contact, listen by the center of the wheel for the squealing noise. If the wheel has resistance and the noise sounds like it's from the center you probably don't want to ride it as that would indicate front bearings going out and could lead to the front wheel seizing and dumping you even at slow speeds. If it seems to be coming from the brake pads you could ride for a block or two then check for heat on the disc, carefully as the disc could be very hot. That's what I would do since you asked for suggestions.

·
13,047 Posts
think your break pads are shot. Pull them and see how thick they are

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulled the front pads off, spun tire and no noises. I also sprayed brake cleaner on the pads and wiped the disc .

Pads have 5/32" or 4mm thickness. Service manual says to replace when groves aren't visible. So I think I'm good for awhile.

Anyway I put 'em back in and still grinding noise.

Also dealer wants $68 a pair for pads. Just wondering if there's any good online store for 'em?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've been using EBC pads for a long time. Your fronts are FA244HH & rear pads are FA209/2HH. There's a ton of vendors a google search will turn up. Make sure you get the the spring clip back in the caliper-it can fall out when you remove both pads at once-if one didn't fall out that might be part of the issue.

·
13,047 Posts
pull them again. Put some 80 grit sandpaper on bench. Place shoes on paper and sand. Try to keep them flat.
Check rotor with straight edge and see if it flat.

·
Registered
111 Posts
hey carl92

Brought the bike out from the corner of the garage to polish 'er up and change the oil. The front wheel has a very slight grinding noise in the front, and a loud squeal while backing up from the rear.

This is while pushing it in neutral, haven't rode it yet.

Is this typical after moving for the first time after a long cold winter?

Are there grease zerts on the front or rear I hadn't noticed?

Should I just ride it a couple miles and see if it limbers up?

Really hoping it's not anything serious, this winter's been a bitch and I really want to get out and ride!
these are all valid ideas but since the brakes were working when you -parked it and they seem to be still working I suggest that you just go ride the thing gently for a few miles. as long as you know the noise is coming from the brakes and not the trans. or wheel bearings, it's probably a small amount of surface rust on the rotors. Stan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts