Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 victory classic cruiser with about 12,000 miles on it and is fuel injected. I try to start it and it cranks over and barely runs for a few seconds and when you try to give it gas it just dies. It has a idle adjust lever and will only start like this when it is pushed all the way forward to lower idle setting. When it is all the way back to the fastest idle setting it will not start at all. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
All Vics are FI. Sounds like your fast idle is backwards.

Check all battery connections and be sure they are tight! You may need to clean the throttle bodies and adjust the idle.

Start the bike and let it warm up for a couple of minutes. DO NOT try and give it gas or crack the throttle when the bike is cold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah and do what Kevin said too! :ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr:thumb up
It only idles for a couple seconds and dies, but also dies right away if you touch the throttle at all. Do you know what the fuel pressure should be at the schrader valve? I will have a fuel pressure gauge sometime this week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pressure should be 49psi give or take 2-3psi.
I tested the pressure today and the gauge just fluttered only reaching 5 psi and never stayed steady. I do hear the fuel pump cycle, so I was wondering if there is some sort of fuel pressure regulator valve on it that needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the craziest thing happened I was taking the gas tank off my bike to access the fuel pump and fuel started pouring out of the breather. I rested the tank back on the frame and decided to try to start it. It started and runs very well, but now it is kinda hard to start. I killed the battery so I charged it. Battery voltage is 12.5 and alt reads around 14. I have 50 psi at the schrader valve. :confused:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I dunno about the overflow, maybe there is a line in the tank that's broken, or maybe it just sloshed around enough to come out the top hole, but I can tell you that your fuel pump did not magically fix itself - it'll still need rebuilt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts