Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just bought a 03 on ride home it started stumbling at around 2k at 3k rpm it smoothed out. now I enjoy going all out but traffic doesn't always allow this. so would this be a tps issue? any help would be awesome.

and I know ya want pics here is only one I have right now

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
just pulled plugs they are fouled looks like carbon build up. guy I bought from said he just changed them so in 50 miles they fouled. any ideas???
Don't trust the other guy. Drop in new plugs. You need to know this for sure, and plugs are dirt cheap. ;)

By the way, even if the plugs were changed recently, if leaded fuel was used in the bike, you could get heavy carbon buildup in a very short mileage run - although 50 miles does sound ridiculously short. Also, incorrect spark plug heat range could be the cause here. Simplest solution for you is to change the plugs now, and see if the 2-3000 RPM symptoms go away. If they do, pull the plugs in about 1,000 miles to follow-up on their condition.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have that same bike just an 04 same color and everything. Once you get this issue resolved your going to love it. Good luck and nice ride.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
anything else I can check in case plugs aren't the issue...
You could clean the throttle bodies and run a full tank with sea foam in it. Probably a good idea to do each of these fixes at a time, then test ride the bike to see if it cured the problem. Otherwise, if you try all the fixes at once, you won't know what was the problem - and it's always good to know in case it comes back in future. ;-)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
New/used

New to you,but it is used. Have you checked the air filter? If it is old and dirty it can make it run way to rich. Cheap fix if that's the problem.Also everybody has there preference,but I would not run Champion spark plugs,have not had good luck with them in the past. Now I do not even know what my Victory has in it,but it only has 5K on it.Let us know what you figure out. Oh and does that bike have a cold start on it where you pull a cable out,if so is it adjusted correctly or shut off completely? Just another crazy idea. Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked air filter looks good. The choke/ enricher seems to work. I sprayed some cleaner in the throttle body. When the parts store opens I will be getting ngk plugs. I think their better than champions wich were in it.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I checked air filter looks good. The choke/ enricher seems to work. I sprayed some cleaner in the throttle body. When the parts store opens I will be getting ngk plugs. I think their better than champions wich were in it.

I hope you actually cleaned the throttle body.When I clean mine(I just did this last week), I use a toothbrush and a rag.I spray the tooth brush and scrub the TB's, then spray the rag and wipe them out.They need to be nice and clean. Mine runs real rich and fouls plugs quickly when dirty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
"Mine was missing at speed, I thought a plug wire was loose, reached down and got zapped. I changed the wires."

Did changing your wires solve the problem? My 03 started running like it was on one cylinder. Severe lack of power. I've changed the plugs but the problem still exists. Runs worse after it warms up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope you actually cleaned the throttle body.When I clean mine(I just did this last week), I use a toothbrush and a rag.I spray the tooth brush and scrub the TB's, then spray the rag and wipe them out.They need to be nice and clean. Mine runs real rich and fouls plugs quickly when dirty.[/QUOTE]

so did you remove the entire air box or take off the tank??

put new plugs in did the throttle reset thing went for a 30 mile ride

runs great actually idles at 950 now instead of 500

when it cools will take out plugs and look at them

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I have to take off the tank and remove the top of the air cleaner. I then have complete access to the throttle bodies and I can clean the air filter at the same time.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I hope you actually cleaned the throttle body.When I clean mine(I just did this last week), I use a toothbrush and a rag.I spray the tooth brush and scrub the TB's, then spray the rag and wipe them out.They need to be nice and clean. Mine runs real rich and fouls plugs quickly when dirty
so did you remove the entire air box or take off the tank??

put new plugs in did the throttle reset thing went for a 30 mile ride

runs great actually idles at 950 now instead of 500

when it cools will take out plugs and look at them
Follow Crossroads advice and next up clean the TB's. There is a post in here somewhere recent going through the steps. yes, you will need to pull the tank (simple as long as you run your gas down to a couple gallons.. lol) to do this whether you have a stock airbox or mod. YOU WONT REGRET IT! Easier starts, better performance. Seafoam is no joke as well and again as he stated, do them seperatly. Congrats on the purchase, there are several other little tweeks you can do to get a little better performance for very little cash. Read the forum and you should be able to pick up some great tips. Alot of good folks here to help you out.

Congrats on the new ride and safe riddin your way!!!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Well after looking I couldnt find the original either, just bits and pcs where we discussed it but not how to do the whole thing. In a nut shell and combining mine and a couple other riders (Thanks TARAN) thoughts here is a pretty good approach:

I used SEAFOAM TB cleaner (spray) with a tooth brush that I heated up a bit to a nice angle. A couple old tshirt rags, a pair of mechanical fingers and flashlight.

-Run your tank down to under 2gal, the less the easier it is to remove
-If you have block/stand, center bike upright. Easier that way.
-On the right hand side under mid tank btwn the jugs, should see the fuel line to disconnect. You will get a bit of gas dripping clearing the line so a rag under it helps.
-Remove seat, rear two tank bolts and if somone is helping you loosen front two and you should be able to lift tank enough to unplug fuel pump/indicator connector as well as vent line at base of tank.
-Finish removing bolts, set tank out of way, and you should see airbox lid with 5 screws if I remember right. Tube going into back of airbox is crankcase vent which provides that oil film your about to see.
-Remove lid, if you have throttle lock, lock butterflys open, have helper hold it or use a screwdriver wrapped in a towel (least favorable).
-Put small ball of cloth in mech fingers, then wrap around so as to not scratch TB's, insert into throat and using SEAFOAM and tooth brush clean the upper TB and butter fly till it looks new.
-Using flashlight, look down into TB and if it has residual build up, scrub with brush and SEAFOAM using rag to keep as much out of intake as possible. You can also use the mech fingers to clean up, just be careful not to scrape.
-To remove rag, release fingers and remove them then the rag should pull right out. This make take several attempts to get clean but once done right should be nice and smooth, no build up.
-Once you did this to both TB's, clean the airbox oil crap up as well being careful of airflow sensor on the right.

One thing to check while your in there, on the right hand side of the TB's, you may see a vacum port with a cap on it each TB. Make sure these are in good condition or just replace them from auto store. Several riders experienced vacum leaks including me.

Tried to keep this simple but I deal with avaition repairs and you can guess were step by step. Don't want you to think I was insulting your mech ability. Shoot me a PM if you have questions, will be glad to help.

Safe riddin, Timthumb up

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
No choke on your FI.. Fast idle is all that is and once you clean your TB's you will hardly use it I bet.

As for your plugs, 7's or 6's NGK will be fine. I know your book calls for 7EB but if you run 6's it is not going to hurt at all as that was a later sutible substitute for the 7. The 6 just retains a bit heat more for a better fire. As long as you don't knock, your fine. Of course that goes into octane. Here are a couple threads for some reading..

Octane: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=11891

Spark: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=12016

1 - 20 of 32 Posts