Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
**Edit - 50psi was due to me not bolting down the injectors. Bike still shows low compression at around 100psi but after cleaning the injectors and running seafoam through the system the bike started up and is now running again.

*Edit - Found the bike only has 50psi compression both front and rear. Currently trying to figure out why it is so low.

Hey, New member have been searching multiple forums for the past few months and I just cant figure out why my bike wont start and this seems to be the place to ask.

Appreciate any input or ideas.

2003 v92c
Fuel pressure - 50psi solid
Spark - Yes, also replaced plugs JIC
Fuel injectors - spray fuel although quite a violent stream
Battery - just got another new 1 yesterday
Fuses - none blown
Lights - all work

Bike will crank but even with starting fluid just will not fire more than the occasional POP.

The bike is stock. I got the bike last October having sat for an unknown period of time (year minimum). Took it home added some fresh gas and changed the oil and she fired right up. I replaced the rear tire and brake pads and she rode fairly smooth but with slight hesitation on hard acceleration. I cleaned the throttle body and she rode much smoother my 2nd trip but right before I got home she started dying. Made it the rest of the way home having to hold the throttle open as she would die at idle. Next day she wouldn't start so i started troubleshooting... that was November.

She is beautiful but this has been a terrible first victory experience.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Bill

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Have you pulled and checked all of your fuses. You need to pull them completely out and look at them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you pulled and checked all of your fuses. You need to pull them completely out and look at them.
Yes, I even pulled unrelated fuses. Made sure they were the correct size and had no damage.

Are there any fuses not located in the main fuse panel I may have missed?

bike is getting spark and fuel which is what confuses me the most. It also appears to have good compression based on how it turns over with and without spark plugs but I only have diesel compression testers so I have not yet been able to test actual compression.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Yes, I even pulled unrelated fuses. Made sure they were the correct size and had no damage.

Are there any fuses not located in the main fuse panel I may have missed?

bike is getting spark and fuel which is what confuses me the most. It also appears to have good compression based on how it turns over with and without spark plugs but I only have diesel compression testers so I have not yet been able to test actual compression.
I don't think so. I had a 03 but gave the manual away. Is it cranking at all, trying to start. I didn't read your complete post. That is confusing.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
There is a guy on here that goes by Noe. He's out of Houston, TX and is a pretty good machinic. I know him and have ridden with him a couple of times. If you can figure out how to look him up on here and send him a message he maybe able to help you, he's on facebook. Then Kevin Cross out of Florida Southern Motorworx he is also on facebook. He is one of the best if not the best Victory mechanics there is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a guy on here that goes by Noe. He's out of Houston, TX and is a pretty good machinic. I know him and have ridden with him a couple of times. If you can figure out how to look him up on here and send him a message he maybe able to help you, he's on facebook. Then Kevin Cross out of Florida Southern Motorworx he is also on facebook. He is one of the best if not the best Victory mechanics there is.
Appreciate the help! I don't want to bug anyone but if I cant figure it out after a few more months I may have to reach out to some experts.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Noe is on here pretty often if he seen your post he would reply. I haven't seen Kevin on here in a long time, but if he seen your post he would have replied.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Heya @NOEMTZ they're lookin' for ya! :)
In other news, wonder if it's something like out of time or perhaps a bad crank sensor.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My shop manual covers the 03 bikes and I believe there is 4 each connector under the seat with diodes pluged into them. If I remember right the send power to computer. (I think)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My shop manual covers the 03 bikes and I believe there is 4 each connector under the seat with diodes pluged into them. If I remember right the send power to computer. (I think)
Under the seat only seems to be the shock the connector to the rear lights and a vacuum line. Under the side cover is a fuse panel the computer and a couple things i am not certain what they are:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I was wondering if it could be a sensor. I have not replaced any sensors yet. would the bike still spark with a bad crank sensor?
It might spark but if it's out of time, it may not be receiving the spark/fuel at the right time. How's your compression?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It might spark but if it's out of time, it may not be receiving the spark/fuel at the right time. How's your compression?
Have not yet tested compression but I ordered a tester that should be here later this week. There is a major difference in cranking with and without spark plugs so I know it has some compression but I am not sure if it is to spec.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
An easy way to test compression, or rather to feel if the two cylinders are about even, which is what is important is to simply pull both plugs then put your thumb over the plug hole like you're trying to prevent air from getting out. Do the other the one the same way. You should be able to have a ballpark idea if they are equal. People who do this all the time can even tell you what the compression is; ballpark anyway.

I think Broggy is right about it being a sensor or even the ECM. They don't go bad often but they do go bad on occasion. I don't know how to test for it though.

If it were me I'd be giving Rylan Vos at the Vic Shop a buzz. Him and the other person working with him are quite helpful. You could save yourself some time that way.

https://www.thevicshop.com/

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An easy way to test compression, or rather to feel if the two cylinders are about even, which is what is important is to simply pull both plugs then put your thumb over the plug hole like you're trying to prevent air from getting out. Do the other the one the same way. You should be able to have a ballpark idea if they are equal. People who do this all the time can even tell you what the compression is; ballpark anyway.

I think Broggy is right about it being a sensor or even the ECM. They don't go bad often but they do go bad on occasion. I don't know how to test for it though.

If it were me I'd be giving Rylan Vos at the Vic Shop a buzz. Him and the other person working with him are quite helpful. You could save yourself some time that way.

Both cylinders have similar pressure and it appears to be decent pressure (I would guess 150+ PSI based on the amount of air coming out but that is 100% guess based on other gas engines I have tested) My current compression tester doesn't go low enough to test gas engines so I wont know for sure until later in the week when my new tester arives.

After I do the testing if I still cant isolate the issue I will give them a call.

Thanks!

-Bill

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
I'm not familiar with the year and model you have Bill but on the X-bikes there's an odd quirk with the relay flasher that will do this. My point is it's possible there's something similar with your bike. Polaris, in their wisdom, decided to run other things through that flasher relay on the X-bikes. Maybe they did something similar with your 03.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not familiar with the year and model you have Bill but on the X-bikes there's an odd quirk with the relay flasher that will do this. My point is it's possible there's something similar with your bike. Polaris, in their wisdom, decided to run other things through that flasher relay on the X-bikes. Maybe they did something similar with your 03.
Sounds like a possibility but my flashers work without issue so i'm not sure what the issue would be? I read on the forums that they can be very picky when it comes to the electrical so I have made sure all my lights work as expected.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Well never trust my assumption of compression.. Tested at 50PSI front and rear. Looks like I might need to pull the heads.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Well never trust my assumption of compression.. Tested at 50PSI front and rear. Looks like I might need to pull the heads.
Any idea what the normal compression should be? It would be really odd for both cylinders to lose compression at the same time.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts