Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a leak in my left fork (started seeing oil on the tube) and my dealer is out of business. So, I'm thinking I want to do it myself.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I replace both seals or just the leaky one?

I'm thinking I'll have to replace the oil in both but I'm not sure of that either.

I've never worked on bikes but I've done extensive work on cars.

Is this doable or something I should let a mechanic do? Thanks

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Since Kevin already answered this I won't move it to the Tech section. FYI in the future it would be helpful to post technical question in the technical forum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fork fluid less than 550ml per tube?

Get the book, and review it. You can make the seal insaller from a piece of PVC, and the cartridge holder can be done without if you have an impact
Kevin or any fork expert:

04 Ness Vegas - Changed fork seals but each tube only took just under 1 quart of fluid. Book says 550ml. used seal kit with new bearings.They were completely dry so I don’t understand why they didn’t take the full amount of fluid. I let them sit for over an hour and I kept moving the tubes up and down. I reassembled everything and the bike runs fine. No leaks and just the right amount of fork travel. Took a 30 mile road test with no problems. Any thoughts? The level was correct at 130mm but only 30oz to get them there?

·
13,318 Posts
You have a cartridge front forks it takes a long time with out a oil filler. Kevenx was referring to a impact air ratchet.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
You have a cartridge front forks it takes a long time with out a oil filler. Kevenx was referring to a impact air ratchet.
I waited more than an hour, maybe two? What will happen next? I rode for 30 miles and it didn't get any softer? Wouldn't the fluid eventually get into the cartridge?

There are two holes in the iner tube, I would think the fluid would go through by pumping the forks?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts