Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today my TC started to make a rumbling or slight vibration on acceleration more noticeable in 5th gear.Quits when you let off the throttle or hold it steady.Pull in clutch and it seems to quit too.
In neutral it doesnt sound right either like a low eeer sound.Pull in clutch and it stops.
To me it sounds like a bearing but which one?Dont want to tear in blind or if it need to go to the shop for repairs.I have a manual and would rather do it myself if I can without special tools.
HELP PLEASE

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Man......sounds like that are just tough to try and diag over this medium. I would start with checking belt tension, rear wheel bearings, and looking for signs of red dust around the front sprocket.

Just out of curiosity.....did you wear a different set of boots today. The primary makes a good bit of whine under load, and changing your leg position relative to the tank make crazy differences

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the best way to check belt tension?Does it have to be cold or can it have been ridden?If I can check it after riding I will ride it to work in the morning and check it over when I get home in the evening.
Can the clutch cover be taken off and run while on the lift to issolate the noise?It sound alot like when the clutch hub bearings were going out on my Harley.
Thanks Brad

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
Rattle in neutral with clutch out is normal. Been a common complaint for years
Belt tension should be 10mm of [email protected] 10ftlb of force, and needs to be checked cold
I remember you saying the belt tension should be 32mm on another thread and probably talking about a different model.

Do you have a list handy of the different belt deflection tensions for the different models that you can post?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I remember you saying the belt tension should be 32mm on another thread and probably talking about a different model.

Do you have a list handy of the different belt deflection tensions for the different models that you can post?

32mm is for the X, and V bikes. The rest are 10mm except the JP which is slightly tighter by the book.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:checked over what you mentioned everything was ok.Checked tire pres and the rear was way low for 2up riding.Like 27psi.Went up to 42 rear and 40 front.Dont seem to be making the noise now.Could have been my imagination a little.Wont find out for sure until the weekend and me and the lady will take it out on a long ride.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts