Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had the bike out and noticed and thunk and /or grinding sound on decel then it gradually got worse.Seemed to be coming from the mid-rear.
Got it home and up on lift.Checked the wheel bearings ( tight) took anything off that could vibrate (side covers,chrome covers,etc) sound and feel still there.
Checked belt alignment it seemed good( with no load on wheel)
Took plastic swingarm bolt covers off.Left side you could move maybe a 1/8-1/4 in
right side no movement at all.
It does this with or with out the clutch engaged.But the clutch idler is a little noisy but not anymore than normal.
Tried to pry any movement in the drive pulley but it seemed tight.
I have ruled it down to swingarm bushing or tranny output bearing.But what do I know
never messed with this type of rear suspension.
Before someone asks it was hard to tell if the bike was pulling or wondering with the shape of the roads and the wind we had yesterday.
last time I had a swingarm go out it was on my shovelhead and it had bearings and when they go out you KNOW it.These bushings may be different.
. any input will help thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
Take a look inside your primary drive sprocket cover with a flashlight-if you see a red dust residue around the nut that's your problem. You'll find the primary sprocket nut loose and the sprocket/pully will need to be removed, inspected to make sure the splines are still good and cleaned/locktite/torqued. It takes a 1 7/8" socket or wrench.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ended up taking it in to dealer to get it looked at.Havent heard back yet but did tell them if it was going to be close to a grand I wasnt fixing it.Cant see putting $1000 into a $4500 bike.So if it comes to not fixing it I will be parting it out.
In the next week or so I will let everyone know what is going on.
If anyone is needing things let me know.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do Kevin. I am hoping it is nothing more than swing arm bushings.Should find out this coming week.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer called yesterday and said wheel bearings.Hope he is right.Guess it is wait and see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts