Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night while riding with a buddy he noticed my brake light was not working on my 2004 Vegas. The tail light is lit but neither the foot pedal nor the hand brake light up the brake light. :confused: I checked wiring under the back fender after reading about bottoming out issues and everything seems in tact. I also checked fuses, all of which appear to be functioning.

Has anybody else had this issue? I have very minimal skills mechanically/electrically, but I thought I'd throw this up to see if there's anything I can do before having to bring it in...

Thanks for reading!

·
13,188 Posts
Have you checked the light to see if its working.
With a meter you could check power at the taillight to see if your getting power to the light.
If your getting power at the light then the light must be bad

·
Registered
976 Posts
Victory guy, your checking the wiring and getting results that indicate "it seems" and "appears" is not going to help you if you want to improve your skills and get into any level of proper troubleshooting. I recommend you get yourself a cheap electrical meter so you "know" what switches are working where the power is getting to. It will help you immensely in your understanding of the wiring, fault finding capabilities and reducing the time it takes to get back on the road.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you plan on doing most of your work on the bike yourself, then I would recommend spending a little extra and getting a good multimeter with volts, ohms, and so on. Fluke makes a good one, I have a blue point and it does everything I need it to. but as for the light, the first thing I would do is pull the bulb and see if its good. look closely at both filaments. If the bulb is ok, start checking power and ground

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input, good stuff, but like i said before, the tail light is lit. The tail light and brake light are one bulb. So it's not an issue of burnt out bulb. I took it all apart tonight. I unplugged the tail light, replugged it in, and the brake light worked! But, when i would fiddle with and press on the connector plug (part name??) it would go in and out. I'm going to try and adjust the pins to get a better connection and throw a little dielectric oil on it to see if that solves the shorting out...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Victoryguy,
You are correct in saying both are on the same bulb, what you need to understand is that there are two filaments in that bulb. It is possible to have one blow without the other being affected. In addition, moving the bulb like you did can get the filament to touch and work temporarily. Please invest in a multimeter for your future troubleshooting growth. In addition, sometimes a visual inspection will not detect a failed filament. On a 2.00 bulb, I would do a simple swap to see if problem is resolved. Good luck.

·
13,188 Posts
so do you have a normal taillight bulb like what you can buy from auto store or do you have the factor LED.
The vegas comes from the factor with a LED taillight

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's LED. I cleaned the connectors, applied some dielectric grease, reassembled everything and it functions properly. Not sure if this is a long term solution or just a temporary fix, but I'm good to ride for now...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts