Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Cleaned throddle bodies the other day and since then it has a backfire on decelleration and runs kinda crappy even off idle. Would really appretiate any advice I can get.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Are you getting the popping coming off mid throttle (2500/3000rpm)to idle or WOT with higher RPMs to idle? Taking a few stabs at it Steve as cleaning the TB's shouldn't do this obviously:

-Looking at the parts diagram it appears you may have the emmision ports on the right side of the TB's that will have a vacum cap on each TB. I know on my 04, they were rotted and falling appart. Replaced and cured vacum leak reducing lean fuel mix.
-Check for vacum leaks at TB boots with some TB cleaner while running, small squirts and keep clear of paint. This is my guess where your prob is at.
-MAP sensor connection on the airbox good?
-Did you clean air filter and also what type of airfilter you got?

Hope this helps... Keep us posted.

Tim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you getting the popping coming off mid throttle (2500/3000rpm)to idle or WOT with higher RPMs to idle? Taking a few stabs at it Steve as cleaning the TB's shouldn't do this obviously:

-Looking at the parts diagram it appears you may have the emmision ports on the right side of the TB's that will have a vacum cap on each TB. I know on my 04, they were rotted and falling appart. Replaced and cured vacum leak reducing lean fuel mix.
-Check for vacum leaks at TB boots with some TB cleaner while running, small squirts and keep clear of paint. This is my guess where your prob is at.
-MAP sensor connection on the airbox good?
-Did you clean air filter and also what type of airfilter you got?

Hope this helps... Keep us posted.

Tim
Thanks Tim, Ill take a look for vac. leaks tomorrow. Removed plugs and waiting for new ones. Thought maybe the t.b. cleaner may have fouled plug a little?
I'll check the map sensor connection then too.

Getting the popping at lower rpms only. No tach so not sure of rpms.

Have K&N filter which I clean every 3k.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Couple of things here.
If the bike has say 30k on it, and the servicing dealer had been adjusting the TPS along the way; to compensate for the throttle body getting dirtier. You will have a lean mixture when the TB is finally cleaned. Seen it a bunch of times

Do not clean your K&N filter more then every 15k; unless you live in extreme conditions. It actually works better with a little dirt on it. K&N actua
Ly recommends 30k

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Kev, how about the S&S filter? I just cleaned mine and usually clean them every oil change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kevin, You said dealer may have adjusted tps to compensate for tb's being dirty. Would that be the brass colored screw on left side? Or is that just for idle?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Kevin, You said dealer may have adjusted tps to compensate for tb's being dirty. Would that be the brass colored screw on left side? Or is that just for idle?
Thats your idle set screw.. search TPS reset, it's there, I didnt search before replying...

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Thats your idle set screw.. search TPS reset, it's there, I didnt search before replying...

Only thing you can do AT HOME IS THE THROTTLE POINT RESET. yOU NEED DIGITAL WRENCH TO DO A tps. Sorry bout the caps

·
13,247 Posts
Steve do a search here and you can find a manual to down load to your computer

·
Registered
203 Posts
Do you happen to have a part number for the vacuum caps? I have looked at all of the part breakdowns and this is what I think they are but not really positive. They use the same reference number as the throttle body.

CAP-PRG FITTING,THROTTLE BODY

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry it took so long to post. Tried looking for vac leak and could find none. Map sensor connection seems to be ok. Also tried trottle point reset. Still missing just above idle.
If there were a bad map sensor, air temp sensor, or throttle position sensor would the engine light come on or not?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eureka

So I finally boke down and took it to the dealer. They said cracked intake boot. Nope, still ran the same. Then they increased fuel mixture with their Digital Wrench software. Runs awesome now, better than it ever has.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts