Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying this 05 cruiser with a little over 20K miles. As I ride it, I hear an occasional rattle or clatter, not real loud nor in any particular gear when riding it. Kind of sounds like a chain rattle to me. Any thoughts on this? I'm not a mech so looking for suggestions or insight as to whether it's normal or not or possible causes if not. The guy bought it with 16k, so has only put 4.5k on it. He said he's not noticed it. (My nieces husband). Thanks for comments.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I don't know anything about that bike but can empathize with you - it bugs the crap out of me when I can't detect the source of some sound that shouldn't be there. I had a squeak once that took me weeks to track down to a hardened rubber bushing under the gastank. A sprinkle with baby powder hushed it permanently. Weird. Good luck tracking down your rattle....and once you find it, hope it's as easy to fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've read a number of posts on Victorys and have seen a couple where some clicks and rattles are normal on these bikes. Don't know as I've grown up on Kawasakis. I'm hoping to find someone local with Victory experience to take it for a test ride.

·
13,188 Posts
its not normal. It might be inside the primary cover. That could mean tranie problems. Sorry but walk away it could cost thousands to fix

·
Registered
746 Posts
Transmission is the thing you never want to repair on that kind of motor which has the gears built right into the bottom of the block. Unless you plan on doing the work yourself, the labor alone can cost more than the bike is worth. I already lost an otherwise very nice Kawasaki Nomad over that. But before you walk away take another test ride and try to omit as many possible sources of the noise as possible. Small metal objects in the saddlebags or windshield bag can vibrate together when riding just loud enough to be noticible without the source being obvious (yes, I've had that happen too) - even my dumb keyfob fooled me a few times, slapping against the cheesewedge. Even though the fob itself was leather, at certain random speeds it would flick against the plastic hard enough to give me a WTF? moment.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
its not normal. It might be inside the primary cover. That could mean tranie problems. Sorry but walk away it could cost thousands to fix
The Prophet of Doom has spoken:smile

You could just need louder pipes. :devil

Yeah great idea to get another Victory rider to ride it

EDIT.....re reading your post you don't say specifically what brand make or model this 05 bike is???
I'm assuming it IS a Victory?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts