Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

(Very) new to this forum so any help very much appreciated.

Just purchased a used '05 Victory Vegas, EFI with Bassani 2-1 pipes installed. Took it in to the local authorized dealer for new tires and they are telling me the bike isn't running properly and needs a "remap" that will cost me around $700 :mad:

I've been reading and kind of understand the concept of a remap, but certainly not enough to do one on my own. The bike seems to run ok in my humble opinion, other than a bit of occasional popping sound on deceleration and some jerking when easing off the throttle.

Is this remap really necessary ? Is it something I could possibly do on my own ?? Any guidance / advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you !

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Map cost about $170 these days, and labor for map and TPS adjust should run about an hour. That is if it needs it. Sounds to me like a throttle body cleaning, and possibly a TPS adjustment is about as far as it needs to go

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I think the dealer is screwing me over. They are telling me the only way to do the remap is to use "Power Commander" and it would cost me around $650 (he didn't exactly explain what I get for that money). Unfortunately I don't know what to go back to him with. I don't know how to do any of what you describe on my own, and I'm not giving him $650....:(

·
Registered
146 Posts
It sounds like your dealer is saying that your bike has some aftermarket parts on it that they do not have a standard download for. So the bike is not getting the right air/fuel mixture that it needs to make it run as it should. The way they are proposing to correct it is to install a fuel controller like the Power Commander III which would then allow them to create a custom map for the bike on a Dyno machine. Creating a custom map on a Dyno can take 4-8 hours...

I've been trying to learn all about this stuff recently as well. I started with an 07 Vegas with a Stage One exhaust and download. Then I wanted to install an S&S air intake because it would look better than the stock intake. The S&S unit also allows for freer (is that a real word?) flowing air. So now I too needed a fuel controller to correct the way the bike runs.

I picked up a Power Commander III online for about $200 shipped then installed it myself (very easy). My bike is now at the shop waiting to get Dyno tuned which I've been told will take 4-8 hours at $98/hr. So their quote of $700 actually sounds about right to me.

For more information on Dyno tuning and Power Commanders this is their website: http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/default.aspx

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The Vic S1 map is very flexible, and with a proper TPS adjustment; it will make great power, and provide excellent drivability. The dealer is prolly not trying to screw you. He just has the kolaid sipping mentality that many seem to have. Unfortunately Pwer Comander has created many zombies over the years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies - this has been extremely helpful.

So another stupid question: what (if any) potential issues could arise from just running the bike the way it is now ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mapping

In 1982 I bought a brand new Supra. The manual said to take it in at 10,000 km for an inspection. I did, and the guy behind the counter said "Whats wrong with it?' I said "nothing, as far as I can tell." He said "Then don't let those guys in the back touch it."

It broke my heart to have to sell that car last year because my wife wanted something taller to "see over traffic". The car had over 200,000 km on it and it ran like a deer with only a clutch replacement.

If you don't feel there is anything wrong, don't let anyone touch it.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
A little popping on decel isnt a big problem. I have an occasional popping on mine. Not often, but occasionally. I know the newer bike are prone to popping though.
Kevinx, the guy giving you advice, is possibly the best Victory Mechanic in the country and if he says clean the throttle bodies, I would try that first.
If you are halfway mechanically inclined, you can do that your self. You just remove the tank, take the top of the air box off, if the original airbox is on it, then remove the tubes coming out the top of the throttle bodies. Then open the throttle all the way and stick something long and thin down one of the throttle bodies to hold it open, try something plastic or even wood like a dowel.I stuff a rag down just past the throttle plates and keep one end of the rag hanging out the top while I clean one. I just try to keep dirt and cleaner out of the combustion chamber as much as possible. Then I use carb cleaner and a toothbrush and scrub them down and then I use a long piece of cloth and a screwdriver to swab them out. Pull the rag out and you are done. A service manual would come in handy too.
My bike runs way better after a throttle body cleaning.And when they are dirty it runs rough with popping and low idle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I do wish the fuel map/ Fuel Controller changes were as easy as bolting on new exhaust and adding better air flow

I found a Ness big shot used on egay for 150 bucks. I chose this due to the simplicity of the Ness (I think) and If I choose to go to a full dyno maping and a PC 5 with an Auto tune I can sell this and not lose much.

I also have some Ness pipes and high flow air filiter in route

I have a 2010 Cross Country

Hopefully I can get things figured out without to much expense and stress myself

good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again - all great information. I think I'll embark on a throttle body cleaning and see where that gets me. Will post back when I finish.

Thank you again everyone !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
'05 Vegas Deceleration Issues

me again :)

So cleaning the throttle bodies last year seamed to help, but the lurching / jerking on deceleration is still there. I think KevinX mentioned something about a TPS adjustment - anyone help me out with this ?

I can't help but think I should be able to let go of the throttle without clutching and not have the bike jerk or lurch - am I out to lunch here ?? :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts