Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just swapped an '06 Triumph Rocket III Classic for an '06 Kingpin. Took it for a test ride through some rolling hills yesterday--a good 2 hour ride. At first it felt like a scooter compared with the Rocket, but I did enjoy it's lower weight and better handling. It also revs pretty damn well for a v twin, and it's fairly quick, too. The looks are MUCH better than the Triumph, but I was a little disappointed with the plastic cheese wedges and side covers (those will be replaced eventually). I am wondering, though-with the Triumph I was able to download a free program (made by a guy in France and called TuneECU) that enabled me to change and modify the bike's tune with my laptop and a cable. Being an EFI bike, does anyone know of a similar program for the Victory line? I don't want to be running to the dealership every time I do an engine mod.
Thanks for any feedback on this.
Vin in Fort Myers

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Sure wish there was some kind of free program we could download but to my knowledge; there isn't. Your 06 is an Open Loop EFI so the newer Power Commander 5 w/Auto Tune won't work with your bike since closed loop started in 08 for the Vic's.

There are various Dobek (sp) POT style tuners you can install and change the tune with or get an S&S flash and have the dealer install it for you or get the Stage 1 flash from Victory. Those are pretty much your options as I know them. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about your year Vic will have more info.

·
Registered
64 Posts
good tune

I too come from the triumphs with the tune ecu it is the best thing i have every heard of. think it was 20.00 for the cable then free from there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too come from the triumphs with the tune ecu it is the best thing i have every heard of. think it was 20.00 for the cable then free from there.
Yeah, once I grabbed that cable off of ebay I was able to change any setting I wanted on my Rocket---disable the secondaries, raise the rpm limits, af ratios, disable the O2 sensor, reset the tps, you name it. It was also nice to subtract 6% from the speedo reading to make the speedo read true to my gps. Like most bikes, it read a bit fast. I haven't compared it to a gps yet, but my Kingpin's speedo definitely reads fast, it seems even more than the 6% of the Rocket 3. Without a similar program for the Vic I realize how spoiled I was with the Triumph. The guy I swapped the Trump with wound up with a loaded bike--true cruise control, heated grips, fuel gauge, summer shield, gps...but I was ready for a change and I'm glad I made the trade--hell, now I get to start feeding the mod monkey again (whispered so the wife doesn't hear me), starting with a short windshield, then maybe pipes and a k&n air filter...any opinions on a decent shield for an '06 KP? I know it looks better without any shield, but I like having a short one for deflecting the wind off my chest at highway speeds and besides, it's almost time for the friggin' love bugs down here in Fort Myers.
And hey, thanks Imdman and Bbob for the quick replies.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Keep doing your research and learning. You have a good start.

If you want the power of a Rocket III Roadster in the Kingpin chassis, that is doable. If you want touring gear on the Kingpin, that is doable too. Free FI controller? No, sorry, you'll have to buy the Power Commander if you want that kind of tunability.

Imagine a Kingpin with the torque of a Rocket III Roadster, about a dozen more horsepower than the R-3, and big hardbags...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep doing your research and learning. You have a good start.

If you want the power of a Rocket III Roadster in the Kingpin chassis, that is doable. If you want touring gear on the Kingpin, that is doable too. Free FI controller? No, sorry, you'll have to buy the Power Commander if you want that kind of tunability.

Imagine a Kingpin with the torque of a Rocket III Roadster, about a dozen more horsepower than the R-3, and big hardbags...
If I needed all the power of the R3 I would've kept it, as it ran on regular gas, was super reliable, was simple to mod, etc. I guess I just wanted something for the wife and I to cruise on that was more comfortable and looked better than the Rocket, with maybe a little taste of torque, and the KP seems to fit that bill pretty well. Once I add a short shield and eventually the stage 1 kit, that'll probably do it for me for a while.
How much reliability did you sacrifice, not the mention $, to get the freedom engine to put out 150 ft/lb torque/147 hp? I imagine it'd take new cams, ported/polished heads, full exhaust/intake changes, etc for that to happen. Tell me how you did it, oh half crazy one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
That'll work nicely. Dang shame about having to buy the clamps separately but I guess you only need to buy them once.

It's amazing what a difference it is just getting the wind off the chest so we don't have to hold on to the bars so tightly.

You can pick up the big brother of this shield if you decide you want to get more wind protection. I really like the one on mine combined with the lower fork shields. I plan on doing a little tint job from the chrome "V" on down on the shield to match up with the fork lowers.

Actually I have a lot of plans for this KP. It's going to take a year or more to do it all but I'll get there. No hurry as it's a work in progress. Right now the forks are off and just a few minutes ago my Race Tech fork compressor arrived so I guess I'll be getting busy a little later. :)

I'm not going to mess with the engine on this one either. It runs good as is and has the power I need with just a Stage 1.

My other bike is a blue XC so I'm going to paint the top of this KP, the part that's now black, the same color blue as the XC. Then I'll have big blue and little blue. :D They will look like an older and younger sibling.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Just swapped an '06 Triumph Rocket III Classic for an '06 Kingpin. Took it for a test ride through some rolling hills yesterday--a good 2 hour ride. At first it felt like a scooter compared with the Rocket, but I did enjoy it's lower weight and better handling. It also revs pretty damn well for a v twin, and it's fairly quick, too. The looks are MUCH better than the Triumph, but I was a little disappointed with the plastic cheese wedges and side covers (those will be replaced eventually). I am wondering, though-with the Triumph I was able to download a free program (made by a guy in France and called TuneECU) that enabled me to change and modify the bike's tune with my laptop and a cable. Being an EFI bike, does anyone know of a similar program for the Victory line? I don't want to be running to the dealership every time I do an engine mod.
Thanks for any feedback on this.
Vin in Fort Myers
Gona take a lot of money to make a VIC. keep up with a rocket.
The Vics sound better and look better.
My old rocket sounded like an aquarium pump.
If you can get 155 FT lbs at 2400 rpm on a Vic. you will be famous. cheers

Don't think the Vic ECM is as easy to crack as the rocket was.
I won't use them anymore bit the PCv with autotune should be able to keep up with your mods.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
How much reliability did you sacrifice, not the mention $, to get the freedom engine to put out 150 ft/lb torque/147 hp?
Those are crankshaft numbers. The latest R-3 Roadster is around 120/140 to the tire... I have at least a dozen more HP than that, about the same torque and the Kingpin is 80 lbs lighter too. The Rocket III Tourer is way de-tuned... not nearly the HP of the Roadster.

Reliabilty? Too early to tell... I only have 60,000 miles on it. No, really, this engine is only 10,000 miles old. The 104" had 22,000 when it got redone. If you have seen how these motors are put together and engineered, you won't worry about hurting it. The stock bottom end is good to 180 HP, so I'm not worried being in the 130s. This was built to be my daily driver and I routinely ride it 500 mile days and on 4-5 day trips. This is not a race bike... it's a bagger.

Cost? Ill give you the Lloyd Greer version:
How much power? "A whole bunch"
How much money? "A lot"
How long will it take? "A while"
Do you accept cash??? Yes, I do

You will get better gains from any modification you do to a Victory than from other big twins. You can be well over 100 HP for $1800 if you shop smart. For most folks that's plenty.

·
Registered
774 Posts
HC, so how much did you spend to get 147 Ft Lbs at (2500 rpm.) We were talking stock. You might get 147 FT LBs with mods but not at 2500 rpms stock.
106 ci and 140 ci, come on. Usable power is what I go for.
What kind of ETs do you get from your vic. There are Rockets with streetable blowers making over 300 hp and you dont even need to change pistons.
cheers

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
HC, so how much did you spend to get 147 Ft Lbs at (2500 rpm.) We were talking stock. You might get 147 FT LBs with mods but not at 2500 rpms stock.
106 ci and 140 ci, come on. Usable power is what I go for.
What kind of ETs do you get from your vic. There are Rockets with streetable blowers making over 300 hp and you dont even need to change pistons.
I don't have 147 ft-lbs... but neither does the R-3. From Cycle World:

How much? Everything, including parts, labor, tuning, pipes, FI controller, TTI, rev limiter bump, underdrive pulley, and even the tach... like 7 grand. There's no replacement for cubic money!

ET? 11.60s (so far) just like she sits. No changes for the track, pump gas, no burnout, and launching from idle. Most of the magazines get 11.80s from the Triumph & Cycle World got an 11.48 but that's corrected ET and with a pro rider (you or I wouldn't get times like that at our local track. The calculator says mine will run 11.40, but I can't do it).

Usable power? I'm getting a final tune TOMORROW. I'll post the graph.

We are comparing a water cooled 140" triple to an air cooled 110" V-twin. Apple and an orange. Nothing against Triumph or the R-3, but that big engine HAD BETTER make power. 140 horse would only be 1 HP/CI...

My rear fender is chewed to pieces from doing this. 2000 rpm and twist...

All I was saying is that if you wanted an American V-Twin with Rocket 3 power... it can be done. I did it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not looking for the kind of power out of the Vic that you're talking, HC, but it is reassuring to know they built the engines that well. IMO, it's tough to beat the R3 in the 'bang for your buck in stock form' category, and being able to use regular 87 octane was a plus. However, having only had the KP for a few days and a few hundred miles, it beats the Rocket in comfort, looks, sound (even with stock pipes) and handling. So I'm happy with the trade I made and I think having the R3 for a couple of years helped to get some of the hooligan out of my system, at least for a while ;). Nice wheelie pics from you guys--thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts