Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So just got the lloydz timing wheel in for my 2006 Vegas 8 ball, One of those "easy ways to get more power out of my bike" right? Wrong..... not so easy, no one seems to touch the subject of the 2007 and earlier timing wheels, much more difficult much more work and much more money, no instructions almost anywhere other then the 10 step paper they give with it, which is so vague and undescriptive, I got to the part where I need a victory fly wheel tool, don't have that so I'm screwed until I get one unless I want to beet on my transmission with a hammer... no thanks, so I decided that I'm going to make a write up for this, since there is no help out there at all, anyone see any reason why I shouldnt? Know of some good how to's? If not I'm going to come up with the best write up I can for this so hopefully the next person that trys this doesn't have any problems

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
So just got the lloydz timing wheel in for my 2006 Vegas 8 ball, One of those "easy ways to get more power out of my bike" right? Wrong..... not so easy, no one seems to touch the subject of the 2007 and earlier timing wheels, much more difficult much more work and much more money, no instructions almost anywhere other then the 10 step paper they give with it, which is so vague and undescriptive, I got to the part where I need a victory fly wheel tool, don't have that so I'm screwed until I get one unless I want to beet on my transmission with a hammer... no thanks, so I decided that I'm going to make a write up for this, since there is no help out there at all, anyone see any reason why I shouldnt? No of some good how to's? If not I'm going to come up with the best write up I can for this so hopefully next person that try this doesn't have any problems
Since the wheel is still pretty fresh on the market your the first I've seen on this site attempting the install. Hats off to ya documenting itthumb up

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had 750, 900, 1470, 1800, and now 1507cc bikes.

The easiest way to get more power is to get a bigger bike.
Well not everyone has enough money to go out and buy the biggest bike out there one after another , just for more power, that being said I have a 100 ci, so I think I have a powerful enough bike compared to most other cruiser brands, but that doesn't mean I don't want more power, even if I had the most powerful stock bike in the world I would still want to squeeze more power out with mods, some people like stock bikes some people like to have fun with modding there bikes, I see no reason to buy a "bigger bike" lol but I see every reason to make my bike more mine by making it my way, that is probably 90% of the reason this forum exist, if everyone kept there bikes 100% stock this forum wouldn't exist just saying

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Well not everyone has enough money to go out and buy the biggest bike out there one after another , just for more power, that being said I have a 100 ci, so I think I have a powerful enough bike compared to most other cruiser brands, but that doesn't mean I don't want more power, even if I had the most powerful stock bike in the world I would still want to squeeze more power out with mods, some people like stock bikes some people like to have fun with modding there bikes, I see no reason to buy a "bigger bike" lol but I see every reason to make my bike more mine by making it my way, that is probably 90% of the reason this forum exist, if everyone kept there bikes 100% stock this forum wouldn't exist just saying
That honda vtx1800 was the most powerful I've ever ridden. It had crazy torque and was stupid fast. I hated to let it go.

I agree that everyone should make their bike their own.
As for affordability? Due to kids in college and other financial obligations, right around $4500 was my limit and this is what I paid for each of the bikes that I listed... some a little less.

Tons of bikes for sale out there. Patience and lots of looking got me on each one and I'd do it all again. Great experience!

However, this time I really struck gold and I'm hanging onto this one.

·
12,970 Posts
romansam

I just went to Vic's parts list and could not even find a timing wheel of any kind. Guess Vic doesn't need one.
Good Luck To You

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Maybe you can rent. Borrow or buy a flywheel puller.
From what I gather youll need it again if you want to go back in and make further adjustments to your timing.
Personally if I had an early Vic I reckon I'd be going different, somewhat easier ways to liberate more power, via exhaust and intake,
I cant see what mods you already have? Or what else you have planned?
Good Luck with your enterprise and good on you for wanting to document your trials and tribulations.
Rather you than me though.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The flywheel pulley is nothing but a large drain bolt (pictured) M20x1.5 thread. I get my at the local AutoParts store for about $2. It threads into the flywheel and forces it off the crankshaft.

We've done a dozen or so wheels with good luck. I charge $85 labor to install one if anyone is interested.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
That honda vtx1800 was the most powerful I've ever ridden. It had crazy torque and was stupid fast.
85 HP/98 ft-lbs for the VTX-1800F and it weighed almost 800 lbs wet. That's REALLY close to what the Vic 106 makes and bikes like the Hammer weigh less than 700 lbs wet.

On this forum, with the horsepower some of the guys here are making, the VTX 1800 is not exactly impressive to us.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
wheels

So why go with modifying the mechanical trigger when remapped/recurved ECUs are available? Tinker-ability?

·
12,970 Posts
remapping doesn't do much if any thing for you. It will add about 2% more fuel and will add 2% more rpm. All that for a couple hundred bucks. You would be better off adding a PCV for just a little more money.
As reprogramming the ECM is good if you have cams and bigger pistons not worth it for a stock bike.
The ATS wheel is cheap and gives you good power and a little smother ride.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
meh

Interesting if your percentage references are accurate.

However, I don't concur with the rest.

Or at least, its overbroad- may not do much if bone stock, but very helpful if slightly modded.

Based on personal experience:

Unfortunately, I wasn't given a baseline readout from the dyno, which was Stage 1 pipes 50 state factory Stage 1 download. Ran like crap, lots of popping, throttle response very twitchy, not strong on bottom end.

Fuel re-tune with no add-on controller has me at 85HP and 108TQ. I asked for the tune to be to max TQ. No popping, smooth idle and response, definitely something in my book. So that's the fuel component.
I also had a recurved ignition box installed...no big bore or cams or pistons.
The wheel is cheap, but a pretty hearty install compared to the ignition box or a tune. I would think that it would be smart to do a tune after install regardless, so no savings there. And making further adjustments can't be super quick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The flywheel pulley is nothing but a large drain bolt (pictured) M20x1.5 thread. I get my at the local AutoParts store for about $2. It threads into the flywheel and forces it off the crankshaft.

We've done a dozen or so wheels with good luck. I charge $85 labor to install one if anyone is interested.
So how does it work exactly? It's just longer then the original bolt? Are you sure that this is the same bolt for a 2006? Difficult between 2006 and 2007 is the timing wheel is on the right side of the bike after 2007, so I don't want to throw a bolt in and break it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
romansam

I just went to Vic's parts list and could not even find a timing wheel of any kind. Guess Vic doesn't need one.
Good Luck To You
Well it definitely has a timing wheel, checkout Lloydz, they have after market adjustable wheels, all vice will have timing wheels, I'm just adding an adjustable one to mess with the timing

·
Registered
57 Posts

Do you know the length of the bolt i will need? Thanks cheerscheersthumb up

1 - 20 of 23 Posts